Razer Hydra - the best controller for the Mech EVER.

115 replies to this topic

#1 Scar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

I got my Hydra four weeks ago and already completed the writing and tuning of the custom configuration script for MWLL. Tested it intensively for the last three weeks.

I tell you guys it's Revolution! This thing combine all advantages of mice and joysticks. It's precise and fast like a hell, no one joystick can compete with it. It even more precise than my monstrous Razer Naga with a resolution of 5600dpi at 1000Hz of the polling rate.

Furthermore, in 'Hybrid' mode, which is an ideal for Mech piloting, Hydra can act as a mouse around the center - which is giving you incredible precision, and as a joystick at the edges of sensitivity zone - so, apart from mouse, you can not worry about the mouse-pad' end and don't need to constantly relocate controller back to the center of its sensitive zone or center of the pad.

And finally - this is INCREDIBLE FEELING when your(no, i really mean YOUR) hand tracking the enemy and ***BANG*** you send AC/20 round right to the bandit' cockpit. Even a joystick couldn't give me such a feeling that hand of my Mech is just an extension of my own hand, if not to say again that joystick just can't give such a fast and precise aim.

If PGI still have a plans to collaborate with some of manufacturers to release MWO-licensed controller - it should be only Razer Hydra, because they are created for each other. Period.

<Paul trolling mode on>
Spoiler

<Paul trolling mode off>

P.S. The only disadvantage it has - don't play with it if you have a tremor in your hands, which i have today - after the all-night-long party. :D

Edited by Scar, 21 April 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

So, I went to store.razerzone.com and they only show the Razer Hydra... no mention of the number "4" awesome stuff.

(Edited for "duh")

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 April 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#3 The Maestro

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

I'll stick with HOTAS & pedals for the authenticity.

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

... 4 weeks ago? :D Not Hydra 4...

#5 The Maestro

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 April 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

So, I went to store.razerzone.com and they only show the Razer Hydra... no mention of the number "4"

He got his Razer Hydra approximately 4 weeks ago, not a Hydra 4.

#6 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

AAAhhhhhh.....

#7 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostScar, on 21 April 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

I got my Hydra 4 weeks ago and already completed the writing and tuning of the custom configuration script for MWLL. Tested it intensively for the last three weeks.

OK.. so your saying if I buy one you will share the script..?

Actually.. wondering why you had to right a script.. ? Didnt it show up as a Gamepad in the MWLL setup routine they have for custom controls..?

#8 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostChuckie, on 21 April 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

OK.. so your saying if I buy one you will share the script..?

Sure thing.

BTW, here is my layout for MWLL.
Spoiler

Actually.. wondering why you had to right a script.. ? Didnt it show up as a Gamepad in the MWLL setup routine they have for custom controls..?

Because by default Hydra emulating the keyboard and mouse, so you should bind the keys and buttons to the Hydra buttons and gestures first + describe some specific settings for motion controller. Unfortunately, the Sixense Motion Creator(software from the original inventor of technology used in Razer Hydra) still doesn't have GUI for binding.

Edited by Scar, 21 April 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#9 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostThe Maestro, on 21 April 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

I'll stick with HOTAS & pedals for the authenticity.

Yes, it isn't very authentic - it feels more like you're controlling exoskeleton, because it resembles the way pilots controlled the Mechs in Robot Jox or battle exo's from the Matrix Revolutions.

But anyway, it's so incredible to feel that you and your Mech is a single whole. Fascinating.

Edited by Scar, 21 April 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#10 Attalward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hahah i thought i was reading adverstiments for the controller. You sure you dont work for them?

#11 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Eh, I can't see how motion controls would add much actual benefit to the experience or the controls for something like MWO. I've been unimpressed by the on-screen performance of anyone using the Razer in videos in other games; they move in a manner I can only describe as "stiff."

#12 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Looks like a couple of black wired Wii remotes and a track ball mounted on top of a joystick. What do you do with the extra? Use your chin on the stick while holding the two handhelds?

#13 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostAttalward, on 21 April 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Hahah i thought i was reading adverstiments for the controller. You sure you dont work for them?

Besides the fact that in real life i'm working in the advertising agency :D, i don't need to be paid to express my opinion on such a great thing as Hydra.

View PostVictor Morson, on 21 April 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Eh, I can't see how motion controls would add much actual benefit to the experience or the controls for something like MWO. I've been unimpressed by the on-screen performance of anyone using the Razer in videos in other games; they move in a manner I can only describe as "stiff."

Don't know what videos you're talking about, but for me it added even more benefits than i expected.

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 21 April 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Looks like a couple of black wired Wii remotes and a track ball mounted on top of a joystick. What do you do with the extra? Use your chin on the stick while holding the two handhelds?

See the layout

Edited by Scar, 21 April 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#14 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

I recorded two game-sessions in MWLL played with my Hydra. There were two rounds played in a row one by one, in the last weekend, on the =CJW= server. Nothing special here - most of the time i piloted the light scout/C3 Owens, but anyway - this videos give an idea, how it plays with Hydra and demonstrate how accurate(or may be not enough accurate for you) the Hydra can be when your hands don't dance apart from your will(like my hands did - from time to time). :wub:

Session I
Spoiler

Session II

Spoiler

#15 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Razer Hydra and Mechwarrior = Play mario kart on the Wii.

:wub:

#16 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

I haven't played on the Wii at all, but from what i saw in the videos and read about its controllers, i think that Wii controller isn't so precise and utilizing much bigger gestures amplitude due to the low resolution. But taking into account that Wii is just a funny console for simple games with your family and friends - it's not a problem.

#17 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

It looks pretty cool, but I think I'd really like to have something mounted so I don't have to worry about losing it or throwing it...maybe accidently maybe not... :wub:

#18 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Looks like someone else likes the CheapHammer. Posted Image

#19 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostCharles Martel, on 25 April 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Looks like someone else likes the CheapHammer. Posted Image

You mean 'Warhammer B'? :) Yeah, this is a great mid-range heavy - not canonical, but still great.

#20 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

View PostSideSt3p, on 24 April 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

It looks pretty cool, but I think I'd really like to have something mounted so I don't have to worry about losing it or throwing it...maybe accidently maybe not... Posted Image

Do whatever you wish, but please, don't waste the hundreds of bucks on the top-tier HOTAS - it won't bring you the combat effectiveness even for the price of 50-bucks mouse and 10-bucks keyboard.

You wish something that's stable and lying on your table? Buy a good mouse - Razer or even better Saitek Cyborg R.A.T 7 or 9.

Edited by Scar, 25 April 2012 - 03:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users