419 replies to this topic

#341 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

Way to much abuse of the system, to easy to workaround.

3/10 for the attempt and I hope you guys were just fishing for feedback and do not consider this to even close to something you would attempt again.

#342 Psychobunny

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 54 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

im all for helping with data and such, as long as its in good honesty, and i dont realy mind if i win anything or get super high, i just want to see what my standing is in the community of players, if my skills / specs stand out good, not how much i played lol, i mentioned 100 games befor, make that 50, 100 is alot for busy ppl..
there is also so much to account for skills, not just kills, win, loses, activity, and the active guys can be "rewarded" in another way, would be something else than a tournament realy if not for skills and such.. call it.. activity week lol.. but whatever, was a fun weekend never the less, actualy got me realy into specs and started realy loving one of my founder mechs :P

#343 chenkTheTank

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

the people that played non stop just wanted it more than others, props to them.

I had a lot of fun just trying to see how far up I could get. This game really captures and delivers a table top vibe to me gameplay wise, with the tournament i reqlly felt like i was at the local game store in a tournament having fun.

Thanks pgi hopefully more tourneys to come.

Edited by chenkTheTank, 25 February 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#344 Nuclear Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLa Isla Bonita

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Im going to throw this out just because I didnt won :P (lol)

This was a tournament that required a lot of time, fast games, die & quit, etc. etc.

May I suggest for the next tournament a fixed number of matches? perhaps, only 8 hrs of action.

Im not sure but I can tell you that even with a good W/D ratio, huges amounts of points per match (almost imposible to achieve EVERY match) I couldnt had made it to the top 3. This was a tournament for the no-real-life-man. And yes, I understeand that you need the data for research and stuff, is just that the push went too far for me :D

Good games everyone !!!

#345 Ryken

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I agree with the tournament being unfairly skewed towards the players that were able to play more games but i think this tournament was just a test run of the new faction progress system disguised as a tournament. Since they did not provide that calculation for match scores you can only speculate, but i dont think loosing players were not given their fair dues if they had a good match and still lost. I thought it was still a good time and I hope the test will bring in faction progress sooner rather than later. I would look at the winners as just being that pilots who contributed the most to their faction and not necissarily the best. An interesting thing about the overall rank score was that it allowed you to back calculate the number of players that signed up.

Global Ranking Score:
(Total Event Players – Light Rank) + (Total Event Players – Medium Rank) + (Total Event Players – Heavy Rank) + (Total Event Players – Assault Rank)

For example i scored 27234 overall score and ranked 706, 799, 770, and 783
27234+706+799+770+783 = 30292

If you assume that everyone who entered was counted into each class than:
30292 / 4 = 7573 players

Is that a healthy population for a free to play game?

#346 Palutena

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

I would rather this Korean grindfest not be running this the same weekend as the founders/hero mech bonus cbills weekend since some of us were trying to grind our founders/hero mechs for cbills and got put in with more optimized builds then usual. I swapped from the founders Atlas to Ilya for cbill grinding to avoid the Atlas DDC herd.

Could they run a proper tournament with teams of friends/clan mates and brackets with scheduled matches between the teams? The World of Tanks ones were quite fun.

Edited by Palutena, 25 February 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#347 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Should have made a match range. Only your first 150 games count or something like that. Hell even give them a button to start the game counter. At least then you can get a better read of more good players instead of finding out who played the best out of the players with the most time.

Edited by Wraith05, 25 February 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#348 Psychobunny

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 54 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostRoland, on 25 February 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

The number of games played by some of the folks on the board is hillarious.

The guy at the head of the Heavy leader board played 531 games.

The entire event was only 62 hours long... So he was playing around 8.5 games an hour, for the entire duration of the tournament. So, on average, only taking 7 minutes per game, with zero downtime between matches.

That makes me laugh my *** off.

could this be done by launching mechs off to games and than just quit match and repeat ? i have shitloads of mech i could had done that with but being a honest player i wouldnt :P

#349 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostRyken, on 25 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

I agree with the tournament being unfairly skewed towards the players that were able to play more games but i think this tournament was just a test run of the new faction progress system disguised as a tournament. Since they did not provide that calculation for match scores you can only speculate, but i dont think loosing players were not given their fair dues if they had a good match and still lost. I thought it was still a good time and I hope the test will bring in faction progress sooner rather than later. I would look at the winners as just being that pilots who contributed the most to their faction and not necissarily the best. An interesting thing about the overall rank score was that it allowed you to back calculate the number of players that signed up.

Global Ranking Score:
(Total Event Players – Light Rank) + (Total Event Players – Medium Rank) + (Total Event Players – Heavy Rank) + (Total Event Players – Assault Rank)

For example i scored 27234 overall score and ranked 706, 799, 770, and 783
27234+706+799+770+783 = 30292

If you assume that everyone who entered was counted into each class than:
30292 / 4 = 7573 players

Is that a healthy population for a free to play game?

I scored 7412+ and ranked 161 so population would be 7573 in my MWO.

Don't think you can back into the population that way.

With 100 games in the assaults I rank 161 in assualts and 5222 overall.

but I doubt that there were more than 10k (know I was in the 7k range when I started Saturday)..

Edited by RussianWolf, 25 February 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#350 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. We're going to provide a bunch of statistics and details coming up.

We will be announcing winners tomorrow.

Thank you to all 8026 players who participated. The event was a great success!

#351 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostThontor, on 25 February 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

8026? Hmmm. Using the info provided I was able to calculate 7,573 and others have gotten the same number.

http://mwomercs.com/...t-players-7573/

I wonder why the discrepency.

Perhaps people who opted in then ran in groups all weekend or didn't end up playing.

#352 OnLashoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 25 February 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. We're going to provide a bunch of statistics and details coming up.

8,026 players?

Damn, I am damn proud of how I did then! 313th overall and 202nd in Lights for a total of about 16 hours put into it compared to those having played nearly 48 hours +!

My KDR and WL improved, and I discovered some new configs I didn't ever think of before on top of that :)

#353 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Bryan, I know a lot of players (myself included) are interested in seeing addition numbers, like why the light class scored so much higher than everyone else. The heavy weighting on attendance rather than participation. Speculation on sync dropping (how many names showed up in the same matches), speculation on shared accounts and botting. How individual players were able to maintain such high win:loss ratios in the face of elo (does elo care about your win record). And most importantly what were the most popular chassis and builds.

All it all it was an exhausitng but fun event, although 62 hours was a little outside of my availablility (hell the 36 hours I played, was "a little excessive" or so I've been warned).

#354 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostTarys, on 22 February 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

not to tell about the strange feeling some people are using aimbots. took some pretty godlike shots tearing me nearly apart.

I can't say for sure people were using aimbots or not BUT, I can say people were using a speed hack of some kind.

I dropped into a match on frozen city with my A1 Cat it has the largest engine I can fit and it goes quite fast. My team started on the western base in an Assault game and like most people we went to where Epision is on capture mode. In the time it took for us to get there the ENTIRE opposing team got onto our cap. Thats right all eight mechs. There was four Lights ok I can believe the light can get there that fast. But three Assaults and a Heavy?!?!?! We got back to base to get wiped out and then belittled for "sucking so bad." I wish I had FRAPs to prove it but I don't so you will have to take my word for it.

One of my Clanmates who I trust not to bulls*#t me. Was in a match in which an Atlas blew by his Dragon that was going 90+ KPH, in his words "Like I was standing stil."

I sure hope PGI is also using the data they collected to weed out the cheating hacks and bots.

Edited by Mao of DC, 25 February 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#355 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 25 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Thanks Bryan, I know a lot of players (myself included) are interested in seeing addition numbers, like why the light class scored so much higher than everyone else. The heavy weighting on attendance rather than participation. Speculation on sync dropping (how many names showed up in the same matches), speculation on shared accounts and botting. How individual players were able to maintain such high win:loss ratios in the face of elo (does elo care about your win record). And most importantly what were the most popular chassis and builds.

All it all it was an exhausitng but fun event, although 62 hours was a little outside of my availablility (hell the 36 hours I played, was "a little excessive" or so I've been warned).

View PostMao of DC, on 25 February 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I can't say for sure people were using aimbots or not BUT, I can say people were useing a speed hack of some kind.

I dropped into a match on frozen city with my A1 Cat it has the largest engine I can fit and it goes quite fast. My team started on the western base in an Assault game and like most people we went to where Epision is on capture mode. In the time it took for us to get there the ENTIRE opposing team got onto our cap. Thats right all eight mechs. There was four Lights ok I can believe the light can get there that fast. But three Assaults and a Heavy?!?!?! We got back to base to get wiped out and then belittled for "sucking so bad." I wish I had FRAPs to prove it but I don't so you will have to take my word for it.

One of my Clanmates who I trust not to bulls*#t me was in a match in which an Atlas blew by his Dragon that was going 90+ KPH. In his words "Like I was standing stil."

I sure hope PGI is also using the data they collected to weed out the cheating hacks and bots.

I agree to both 1000%!

I seen quite a bit of questionable stuff in the 100 games or so I played, including the fast-as-hell-enemy-team while in my 152 kph Jenner.

On Frozen City I was on the side that spawns up hill and ran straight to the capture point at the bottom of the cliff to the left. A Catapult A1 was already there capping before I even got there. I expected it to be another Jenner or some other fast *** light, but to my surprise the the A1 was there already capping and hit me and killed me in one shot right as I came over the hill at 152 KPH.

I hope this whole thing was not just a stat / ELO evaluation for tweaking, but to also draw out all the cheaters and exploiters.

#356 Cantatta

• PipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

I played 99 games over the 72hr period and placed 176 overall when it was all said and done, reaching a high point of 157th place overall at one point before quitting. I played 'Mechs in all four weight classes, though I did more medium and heavy matches, compared to light and assault.

The top overall player had 30,035pts at the end, I had 26,519pts, playing less than a tenth of the games by comparison. If I had chosen to continue playing at the rate I was going, I believe I could have made top 50 without too much more effort, playing maybe another 100 or so games.

Edited with apologies, MY math was wrong, sorry. And if anyone feels I made an *** of them, I was only trying to make an *** of myself... herpin the durp since highschool graduation... no really, I graduated.

Edited by Cantatta, 25 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#357 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostCantatta, on 25 February 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

I played 99 games over the 72hr period and placed 176 overall when it was all said and done, reaching a high point of 157th place overall at one point before quitting. I played 'Mechs in all four weight classes, though I did more medium and heavy matches, compared to light and assault.

The top overall player had 30,035pts at the end, I had 26,519pts, playing less than a tenth of the games by comparison. If I had chosen to continue playing at the rate I was going, I believe I could have made top 50 without too much more effort, playing maybe another 100 or so games. Obviously, the top players aren't really that good at solo play if it took them 10X the number of games to make a mere 3500pts more than I did.

Assuming these posers shared accounts and ran non-stop for 72hrs, the number of games played is still almost impossible. Playing 12 games / hour for 72hrs still only gets you 864 games total. That is one game every five minutes, for 72hrs straight, no breaks, no bathroom, no food and no sleep. So how did these jackholes manage to log over 1000 games and have a W/L record of 2:1 while they were at it? These guys would have had to play 14+ games per hour to achieve the number of games played on the leader boards, or one game every four minutes, non-stop for 72hrs. With all the chaos of pugging a tourney like this, I'm hard pressed to belive anything I see on the leaderboards, even my own achievement.

Cheating would seem to be the only clear answer in my mind, account sharing & aimbots are the obvious culprits. No, I don't have proof for any of this, but the math doesn't lie. It is almost mathemtically impossible for an individual to play 1000+ games of MWO in 72hrs, for all intents an purposes.

(Meth addicts not accounted for in this tirade)

Uhh....when you get to the top 100 of each class to get into the 30k range, it takes far more effort to get each rank from there (with 80ish games played I hit 130, while all the top 25 had more than 200 matches played).

And none of them hit 1k matches, most were around 500 tops?

#358 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

So how did these jackholes manage to log over 1000 games.....

Pray tell...who logged 1000+ games? More like 300-500 by what my eyes tell me on the boards....some 'ranked' with far less. Your basic assumptions have led you to unsupported conclusions...

Mr 144

#359 Mvrck

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

The top overall player had 30,035pts at the end, I had 26,519pts, playing less than a tenth of the games by comparison. If I had chosen to continue playing at the rate I was going, I believe I could have made top 50 without too much more effort, playing maybe another 100 or so games. Obviously, the top players aren't really that good at solo play if it took them 10X the number of games to make a mere 3500pts more than I did.

Assuming these posers shared accounts and ran non-stop for 72hrs, the number of games played is still almost impossible. Playing 12 games / hour for 72hrs still only gets you 864 games total. That is one game every five minutes, for 72hrs straight, no breaks, no bathroom, no food and no sleep. So how did these jackholes manage to log over 1000 games and have a W/L record of 2:1 while they were at it? These guys would have had to play 14+ games per hour to achieve the number of games played on the leader boards, or one game every four minutes, non-stop for 72hrs. With all the chaos of pugging a tourney like this, I'm hard pressed to belive anything I see on the leaderboards, even my own achievement.

Cheating would seem to be the only clear answer in my mind, account sharing & aimbots are the obvious culprits. No, I don't have proof for any of this, but the math doesn't lie. It is almost mathemtically impossible for an individual to play 1000+ games of MWO in 72hrs, for all intents an purposes.

(Meth addicts not accounted for in this tirade)

I cranked out out nearly 400 games, while stopping at 7pm on Sunday, and getting 8 hours of sleep combined Friday and Saturday night, and an hour or so of playing 8 mans with my company. There was a large stretch where I would die 4-5 minutes into a game, and then just join another as it turned into a "Chase the 3L for 6 mintues" fest.

Honestly, I was freaking amazed at how many games you could crank out if you sat and focused at it, and weren't hung up after every match waiting for teammates to answer a phone call, go to the bathroom, feed their dog, smoke, etc. That being said, I will be looking forward to grouping again come tonight.

#360 DAoC

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

What exactly is this "success" ur talking about? Serious question.
Boosting up ur ELO log?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users