• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 22 February 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Maybe to get ELO worked up abit?

It's a pain in the *** cause you are with people who you have no trust in, let alone comms.

Learn to warboss, Zeus.

#23 Stoicblitzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostCorvyck, on 22 February 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Why a solo play tourny?

why not? :)

Edited by Stoicblitzer, 22 February 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#24 Andrew Cranston

• PipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Because after killing player run tournament play it was the next logical step.

#25 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I do not get the purpose behind putting on a tournament that emphasizes solo play in a team oriented game. Any insight that makes sense on this?

Because no teams will attempt to game the tournament, amirite?

#26 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

WHY A SOLO PLAY TOURNY?

To make all the militant "Team up or get out of our game" types cry?

Edited by Alois Hammer, 22 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#27 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

I do not get the purpose behind putting on a tournament that emphasizes solo play in a team oriented game. Any insight that makes sense on this?

I know this is hard to understand, but you know those other friendly mechs you spawn next to at the start of a match? That's your team for this team oriented game.

#28 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 22 February 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Learn to warboss, Zeus.

Granted about 10% of the pugs listen, but the other 90% just run to the 4 corners of the map.

#29 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 22 February 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Granted about 10% of the pugs listen, but the other 90% just run to the 4 corners of the map.

Just start with something simple. 'Run up the right?' or the like.

Once they learn that they can follow simple instruction then you can move to the hard stuff like 'Focus fire, biggest to smallest'.

There are tricks to pug herding. If you can get 6 people to follow then just use the 2 idiots as pawn sacrifices. Follow them with the herd at range. When the enemy sees them as the pawn sacrifices they are jump them while they're focused on killing the idiots. You'll get about 7 seconds of unreturned fire, 2 or 3 weapon cycles. It'll make a big difference if you take advantage of it. Or use the time to get some early caps and a point lead that the other team can't make up after they've rolled all but that one cowardly guy in the spider who pretty much ignored the fighting and ran around hiding.

Pugs also rush well. Really well. A solid pug rush eats a lot of premades. 'Form up on E6 and rush' works really, really well. Pugs don't defend for ****. No communication, no coordination. Go offense, go big or go home. Oh, and don't 'take the lead' as in the leadership thing in the map. Nobody pays attention to it. Just call targets if you can in chat. It helps a lot.

#30 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I keep asking myself the same thing.

Everything PGI does upsets me.

#31 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

It draws attention away from the grassy knoll, duh.

Edited by Gaan Cathal, 22 February 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#32 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Its a great way to check to see if the Elo fix they implemented is working well. Give gamers some incentive to step out of their comfort zones of group play and try pugging whilst collecting data. There is no nefarious thing about it because gamers wont do anything without incentive.The leader board and a banner are the carrot on a stick and I applaud PGI for finding a carrot all you guys will go after.

#33 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostProtoculture, on 22 February 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

Because no teams will attempt to game the tournament, amirite?

I BETTER see multiple people getting disqualified due to this because you know it's happening. This is a trainable test for P GI. Sadly there is probably no way to track it and if that's the case then I imagine MOST winners would be non-legit sync drops or account sharing etc.

Edited by ChrisOrange, 22 February 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#34 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

View Postmiscreant, on 22 February 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

I keep asking myself the same thing.

Everything PGI does upsets me.

Well, not everything they do upsets me, but I'm still trying to figure out why teams couldn't get a tournament first. Or even run both at the same time.

#35 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

What a joke

#36 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

It make zero difference because without a real solo play structure and rule set, there are already people who have figured out how to game there scores. Its a farce tbh.

#37 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostDemona, on 23 February 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

I'm still trying to figure out why teams couldn't get a tournament first. Or even run both at the same time.

View PostNovakaine, on 23 February 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

What a joke

This whole thread is a joke. Ya'all should have slept in on Saturday, the sleep derprivation is getting to to you brain.

There is no pre-made control team function in the game! That's why! If you want a team tourney there has to be a way to keep teams the same +/- alternates. After that 8 mans could run the same random way. It just simply doesn't work logistically, yet. Then if you want it bracketted - more logistics that don't exist yet. Add to that 8-mans significantly reducing the participant pool (pool divided by 8) and you end up catering to a very small sector of the users. Or you get pre-mades vs random pugs and Holy Flame War if that happens. The game is at a state where it can do a solo leaderboard tourney. But it is not at a state to do a team tourney. This is obvious and everyone knows it.

#38 Foxtrot Uniform

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

except this isn't really a solo leaderboard tourney because a lot of the big groups out there are currently sync dropping together solo. Heroes.. pffh, should have been called the Scum of the earth tourney.

#39 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostKitK, on 23 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

This whole thread is a joke. Ya'all should have slept in on Saturday, the sleep derprivation is getting to to you brain.

There is no pre-made control team function in the game! That's why! If you want a team tourney there has to be a way to keep teams the same +/- alternates. After that 8 mans could run the same random way. It just simply doesn't work logistically, yet. Then if you want it bracketted - more logistics that don't exist yet. Add to that 8-mans significantly reducing the participant pool (pool divided by 8) and you end up catering to a very small sector of the users. Or you get pre-mades vs random pugs and Holy Flame War if that happens. The game is at a state where it can do a solo leaderboard tourney. But it is not at a state to do a team tourney. This is obvious and everyone knows it.

Funny, I wasn't saying teams should get a tournament right now. I was complaining we didn't get them first. Why hold a tournament at all at this stage when all it's about is who can play the most? :D

#40 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 February 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Just start with something simple. 'Run up the right?' or the like.

Stopped reading right here, you're already asking the impossible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users