Scouts In Pug Matches

44 replies to this topic

#1 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

scouts suck!... at least in pug matches.

can't keep count of how many times i have been in a pug match with a light pilot that said:

"i'm a scout i'll go scouting"

**no further communication from this player in the rest of the match**

what the?
why do you even play scout then?!?

i can count with fingers of one hand how many scouts have actually helped with recon info - (very good pilots i wish i could remember their names)

it doesn't just affect that part of the game, ecm atlas wouldn't be able to hide with it's ECM if you actually did your job, and people wouldn't complain as much (except for the streakers)

this needs to change, either get with the program and relay that info with your little fingers, or we need something like a quickchat wheel/menu to convey info; or even a pointer similar to tag that prints coordinates in chat..
still waiting for that. we don't need to force everyone to use a microphone (like an in game voice chat) just make it easier for the pugs to communicate!!!

rant over.

#2 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Trust me when I say that even a microphone wouldn't improve this for some folks.

#3 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 26 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Trust me when I say that even a microphone wouldn't improve this for some folks.

i know what you mean, sometimes i drop with 4 man and nobody even calls a target.
people are silent the entire match.
at the end someone says nice, or darn we could have won... LOL!
that's why i stopped dropping with people as often, it's night and day when you have a good leader

#4 BoydofZINJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 26 February 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

can't keep count of how many times i have been in a pug match with a light pilot that said:

what the?
why do you even play scout then?!?

i can count with fingers of one hand how many scouts have actually helped with recon info - (very good pilots i wish i could remember their names)

it doesn't just affect that part of the game, ecm atlas wouldn't be able to hide with it's ECM if you actually did your job, and people wouldn't complain as much (except for the streakers)

this needs to change,

So let me understand this. You are angry that a pilot such as yourself is not willing to type out the enemy location and direction? (I assume type since you are PUGGING and not on voice speak with this pilot, right?) So you want a person who is piloting a light to scout for you and when he or she is dodging enemy fire from LRMs, Lasers, Gauss, enemy ECM, enemy lights, and/or enemy fast 'mechs like Dragons or Trebs ... you want this pilot to type out long complicated sentences for you that tell you what grid the enemy is in, what direction they are in, what type of 'mechs they have, any special 'mechs that they see (such as splat cats, ECM mechs, or all PPC or LRM Stalkers) while trying to avoid the before mentioned dangers?

Hmmmmmm.

Good luck with that.

#5 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I very much enjoy playing scout. Getting no feedback from your own team as they blob up and get massacred in an ambush you called is somewhat disheartening however.

#6 Whompity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 380 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

I always indicate that I'm scouting when I head off. I always call back my results, good or bad, assuming I'm not do-si-do'ing with a Raven or ran smack-dab into the middle of a force and am madly weaving to get back to safety. Hard to type, then and so sometimes the info gets a big stale.

"all in F4ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd" I squawk out, half of my back armour gone. "2 meds on me" I'll jabber out. "Yes, we see them, what are you doing?" my team will say. ;)

#7 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 26 February 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Well, they WOULD show up on your HUD when the scout targets any of them, or TAG's it, or NARC's it or just give you 20 seconds of pure mayhem as they weave around the mass of enemies with ECM going and keeping them occupied.

Not ALL scouting is about FINDING the enemy as you also have:
-Harassing
-Capture
-Intercepting
-Jamming
-Hide and Pounce

#8 Rakashan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostBoydsan, on 26 February 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

So let me understand this. You are angry that a pilot such as yourself is not willing to type out the enemy location and direction? (I assume type since you are PUGGING and not on voice speak with this pilot, right?) So you want a person who is piloting a light to scout for you and when he or she is dodging enemy fire from LRMs, Lasers, Gauss, enemy ECM, enemy lights, and/or enemy fast 'mechs like Dragons or Trebs ... you want this pilot to type out long complicated sentences for you that tell you what grid the enemy is in, what direction they are in, what type of 'mechs they have, any special 'mechs that they see (such as splat cats, ECM mechs, or all PPC or LRM Stalkers) while trying to avoid the before mentioned dangers?

Hmmmmmm.

Good luck with that.

Here's a hint. If you don't know how to drive the class, then don't.

I drive Jenners, no ECM even. I PUG. I scout and then either return to the group so I have enough downtime to type or, if I have not been picked up by the inevitable cheese-RVN, find an out of the way spot to take time to type.

If you are not bothering to communicate, then you better be doing damage and that is often (not always, mind) done in a heavier chassis and you don't bother saying "I'm going to go scout" before running off if you're not trying to scout.

#9 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hmmmmmm.

Good luck with that.

HAHAHAHA that's hilarious for you to say that because i ALWAYS, 100% of the time do the typing thing.
i have to announce the enemy positions with my assault mech, keep trying to assume stuff and being wrong about it

#10 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yes, that is why they have the title "scout" and the OP doesn't. That's what I do, certainly, when I scout.

And if you're "dodging gauss fire" etc. when you're scouting, you're doing it wrong.

#11 BoydofZINJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostRakashan, on 26 February 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Here's a hint. If you don't know how to drive the class, then don't.

I drive Jenners, no ECM even. I PUG. I scout and then either return to the group so I have enough downtime to type or, if I have not been picked up by the inevitable cheese-RVN, find an out of the way spot to take time to type.

If you are not bothering to communicate, then you better be doing damage and that is often (not always, mind) done in a heavier chassis and you don't bother saying "I'm going to go scout" before running off if you're not trying to scout.

next time you are piloting a jenner and typing out sentences - let me know - i will be on the other team shooting at you.

My point is, it is hard - much easier on voice chat than typing. if you can do it. do you think you are the majority of players who are pugging? The ability to multi-task such as avoiding enemy fire, harrass enemy 'mechs, spot enemy 'mechs, and type out their location and type of 'mechs you see?

it seems I am wrong. then I must not be in the right PUG matches, because like the OP I do not see PUGs typing this information to me. However, I do not blame the light pilots. If I am wrong and most lights are doing this... why am i getting lights that do not?

The most I have seen is grid location and maybe a single mech type that comes in chat... maybe. Normally, I will see the light pilot cycle thru targets and if you are fast enough you might see a few names - but the cycle that most people tend to do it... is less than a second per enemy 'mech and with no warning that i need to be switching targets at a moments notice.

Edited by Boydsan, 26 February 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#12 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostBoydsan, on 26 February 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

next time you are piloting a jenner and typing out sentences - let me know - i will be on the other team shooting at you.

My point is, it is hard - much easier on voice chat than typing. if you can do it. do you think you are the majority of players who are pugging? The ability to multi-task such as avoiding enemy fire, harrass enemy 'mechs, spot enemy 'mechs, and type out their location and type of 'mechs you see?

you write that like typing sentences halts your mech, you can keep speed and type abbreviated sentences;
if you can't you should get "the typing of the dead" game to improve your typing; but since you're on the forums now i'd say you can do it

#13 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Indeed... and while you're running around chasing the squirrel (err, I mean, shooting at it), the squirrel quickly typed "lone CAT D4", and his team is about to round the corner and ruin your day.

#14 Tyrask Hazen

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well theirs an easy remedy to your issue. Get on team speak with a clan, guild, merc, ext. Pugs suck at everything you should all know this by now

#15 Jack Lazarus

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

I don't have any light or fast mechs. But I do always call out what I see if it's not obvious (and sometimes even if it is because often players just ignore what's happening) because scouting is indeed a little bit rare. However - the few mechs I have been paired with in the past few weeks that said they would scout, did so. I haven't encountered the original poster's problem of scout mechs (fast mechs that say they will be scouting) not doing so. Not yet anyways.

I wouldn't mind trying to give dedicated scouting a shot, but I'm not sure whether the Commando or Cicada would be more typical of Federated Suns forces, so I haven't bought either yet.

#16 Rakashan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 333 posts

Do you see the bit about returning to my group or finding an out of the way spot?

If you scout and find the enemy then it's NOT HARD to get the heck out of LoS and move far enough that you will not be in LoS while you type. There is no map where this is impossible and other than Alpine it's not even difficult.

Yes, I understand stopping to type in combat is not a good plan. I also understand that if there are other mechs out there on your team (i.e. a need to communicate at all) then disengaging and finding a place to report from is both possible and desirable.

Edit: And I am not stating the obvious which has already been mentioned... If you want to chase me back to the main body of our forces you go right ahead. Worst case I take you and a couple of RVNs with me back to my forces and then we (probably) don't need to worry about talking about where you are while we dismantle those of you who are here.

Perfect, no, but damned functional and certainly more so than vanishing with the comment "I'm scouting" and providing nothing for your team.

Edited by Rakashan, 26 February 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#17 Whompity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 380 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

It's not easy to type while running, but you can do it, if you're quick on the keys and not too verbose. Don't wait too long because the battlefield changes fast. ;)

#18 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

meh...what I don't like is when lights don't even scout. They just cruise along at Atlas speed doing nothing. Thanks to that we do not have any idea where the enemy is. Soon after we find out though as they steamroll our entire team. Its also annoying when they do scout but die not even one min in the game. Another thing I dont like is when a capper is at our base and I ask for the fastest mech to go back yet the lights are focused on a big shiny Altas and ignore everything I say.

#19 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostVoridan Atreides, on 26 February 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

Another thing I dont like is when a capper is at our base and I ask for the fastest mech to go back yet the lights are focused on a big shiny Altas and ignore everything I say.

There is no reason to go back now, not by most people's point of view. If they cap the game is over. We don't get XP/C-Bills for stopping a cap. We don't get that much for even winning compared to losing. We do get lots of XP/C-Bills for blowing up an Atlas. Any wonder why your average player will just keep firing? While you are still getting your XP/C-Bills the light is getting nothing for running back. Most likely the other player is giving his computer and your chat comment the finger and then hitting the fire button.

#20 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I have TAG for a reason, if you aren't paying attention to the giant glowing crosshairs (or triangles if lack of ECM), that's kinda the teams problem. As soon as I break behind cover I'll even give more details, but damn if people listen anyways.

Hell, I've typed out "running 4 line, 2 cents behind", reached the team, hid amongst the assaults, and been killed while the team doesn't turn around and just sheeps their way into the entire team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users