26 replies to this topic

#21 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

In my experience in all but the most protracted battles 2 tons of ammo is more than enough. If you are going to use the SRM6s go with Artemis. The extra range is invaluable.

Another idea would be 2 streaks, 2 large lasers, 2 medium lasers and maybe a tag in the head. It sacrifices close range superiority for the ability to engage targets at a greater range. It takes some getting use to but it's a fun mech to pilot. I'd throw the built up on smurfy but I've been having issues with my browser all morning and it won't work for me. (I think I got a virus )

#22 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1c8642f2fb87880

#23 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

imho the artemis holds little value for SRMS given the tonnage and slot cost.

My 4SP has a STD 260, 5 MLaser, and 2 SRM 4 or 2 SRM 6 (depending on my mood) and runs 94KPH.

#24 Golfin Man

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 162 posts
  • Locationyour flank

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Its perfect how it is, anyone who says you need more than 200 uses their srms in the wrong situations. Maybe having 1 more ton would help, but giving up heatsinks or too much speed is not worth it if you are playing it correctly. Use the srms for exposed internals only, or smashing lights with a 30 dmg salvo. This is the one reason you may want an extra ton of ammo, as lights are fun to swat if they're dumb enough to let you hit them. Also, around this range of engines, the 250 is the most efficient heatwise, so it may well be worth avoiding the 260 in order to keep an extra heatsink/ammo. The pros equip the head laser and often it proves more useful than you may think.

Edited by Golfin Man, 07 March 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#25 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 07 March 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

imho the artemis holds little value for SRMS given the tonnage and slot cost.

My 4SP has a STD 260, 5 MLaser, and 2 SRM 4 or 2 SRM 6 (depending on my mood) and runs 94KPH.

I disagree.

The 4SP doesn't run very hot with 4 medium lasers to start with. Between 4 medium lasers, 2 SRM6s, a STD250 engine and DHS I never overheat even fighting full out. Thus the extra 2 tons worth of DHS is unnecessary. You could argue that extra ammo would be more important but 2 tons have always worked just fine for me. For me the natural upgrade choice was the Artemis system. It allows me to strike out at a further range and with greater accuracy.

#26 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

It's really more about playstyle. Pesonally I prefer 4 tons of ammo since my SRM's are my big punch weapons. I use the ML's to fill in afterwards to bring the mech down or destroy components. It's a little reverse than what others are saying but i do like to get closer and pop a lot of SRMs instead of sniping with ML's.

I had a lot of fun with 2x PPC's and LRM10's as well, but that build may not be as viable in the new ECM-world-order.

-S

#27 Symbiodinium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

HBK-4SP

Pretty similar, except I upgraded the STD250 to STD260 and added Artemis to the SRM6s (they're especially wicked with the new patch). Still 2 tons ammo, I dropped two DHS and shaved armor off of the legs and maxed the head armor. Whether you want to run 2xSRM6+Art or 2xSMR4+Art or one of each is up to you. Keep the medium laser on the head, but I find it most useful if I have it on a separate control group because you can shoot over hills with just your head showing (swap out for a TAG if you're running with a team).

Edited by Symbiodinium, 07 March 2013 - 11:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users