Do You Want A Coolant Flush Consumable?

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Coolant Flush - yea or nay (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to see coolant flush consumables in the game?

1. Yes (18 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. No (117 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

Would you like to see a coolant flush MODULE (permanent) in the game?

1. Yes (24 votes [17.78%])

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

2. No (111 votes [82.22%])

Percentage of vote: 82.22%

What would you pay for the consumable? (C-bills)

1. 5k - 10k C-bills (14 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

2. 10k - 25k CB (7 votes [5.19%])

Percentage of vote: 5.19%

3. 25k - 50k CB (7 votes [5.19%])

Percentage of vote: 5.19%

4. 50k - 100k CB (10 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

5. 100k - 500k CB (6 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

6. Nothing (85 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

7. More than 500k CB (6 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

Vote

#1 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Simple poll, would you like to see a coolant flush consumable added to the game?
What if it were an actual module?
If it were added, what would you pay for it?

Edited by Postumus, 04 March 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#2 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

no/no/nothing... but that´s my opinion since forever... i lost this fight ...

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'd only agree to it under limited circumstances... even then, it's a maybe on what is happens to be.

Here's a quick list:

1) It should be a standard on every mech PERIOD. No exceptions.

2) Coolant is limited to a small percentage, like 10-20% of the overall heat capacity.

3) Pay with C-bills ideally for a module, for only refilling it ONCE per battle. Cost would be minimal (on par with cheaper ammo).

A PAID (MC) version would refill it "automatically" for a set number of times (10-25) for a VERY reasonable price (cheaper than a mechbay), but still only ONCE per battle. C-bills version would restrict you to the same number as the paid version. The paid version can only be bought once, but easily redistributable to other mechs.

4) Cooling is dealt by time and NOT INSTANT. 5 seconds to take the full benefits would make sense.

Argh...

Edited by Deathlike, 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#4 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

No Coolant Flush of any kind please. You know, like we already discussed with you fine folks at PGI during Closed Beta. Road has been traveled. Come up with something else to sell your consumables.

View PostGarth Erlam, on 06 December 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

It's actually because it invalidates heat as an issue in a team vs. team environment.

Edited by Bagheera, 04 March 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#5 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

A module with a minor once-per-match cooling boost sounds nice. A one-time-use item does not. Even if you can buy one with Cbills, I doubt that it'd be cheap enough so that players can afford a new one each match. An MC-paying player can afford a new one each match, and they'll effectively be able to buy an extra module slot as well. A cooling pod module was a decent enough idea, but in my opinion the implementation is completely botched.

#6 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Don't really want it, but if implemented the level2 shouldn't cost any more than 50k.

#7 TripleAwesome

• Pip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY, USA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Don't we already get enough cooling bonuses in the pilot trees? Heat management is a very large part of what gives this game depth. This topic was beaten to death in closed beta, and the overwhelming majority favored having no coolant. It's your game and all that, but this is a heated topic with a pretty clear preference from the community. Putting coolant in (especially charging MC for it) seems like a huge mistake that will hurt the game in the long run more than the short-term profits would compensate for.

#8 Valcoer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII Silesia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

I am willing to wait and see what the effect in terms of game play is. everything right now is speculation. ecm looked good till we got it in to game play then the obvious faults became crystal clear to every pilot.

#9 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

if its a consumable it neads to be realy cheep like 50k so its a noticabul loss on yore C-bills at the end of a match but not deverstating.

#10 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostValcoer, on 04 March 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

I am willing to wait and see what the effect in terms of game play is. everything right now is speculation. ecm looked good till we got it in to game play then the obvious faults became crystal clear to every pilot.

most things are unbalanced when they come out ECM is a lot more balanced now especially with PPC's countering them I don't have a problem with coolant as long as it isn't over the top. it would open up some more interesting weapon lode outs.

#11 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Sure, but they need to do something about the MC vs C-bill discrepency. If you only have 1 slot to work with, the MC one is 75% more powerful than the best c-bill coolant. If you have 2 slots (or more) to work with, then the c-bill options match the MC one for cooling, but the MC one uses half the slots. So it's either 75% more powerful or 100% more efficient than the non paying option.

Who cares about balance? May the team with the most MC win!

Edited by LackofCertainty, 04 March 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#12 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Theres only 1 important awnser to this all of those questions: HELL NO!!!!!!

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Why isn't there a "don't care" option? Unlike many people, I don't see the world as only black or white. <_<

#14 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

What the heck is wrong with the devs really. The put so much time and effort to finally get the heat of the weapons fairly balanced and now they introduce a module that tosses out all that balancing right out the window. The PPC boating and SRMcat that was already getting out of hand will become so ridiculous after the 19th for all the people willing to pay for the highest tier coolant. This is plain greed before gameplay, there is no other way to look at it. Well at least I only put $15 dollar into this game so far, if I had been a founder I'd be raving mad about this.

#15 Biruke

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationMsk, RF, Terra

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

I haven't ever used the override button <_< not going to use the flush either. maybe once.

airstrikes and artillery? Why would I waste my MC for the PUG team win? No way. maybe once to give it a try.

#16 Zso Sahal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Saved a pic of this, so it doesn't mysteriously vanish later.

#17 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

no/nien/nada/nothing/no how/nope/bu/nu-uh

#18 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

MAGICAL COOLANT PODS??? NO!!!!

My understanding of modules: Modules are little tricks a pilot can use to boost his/her mech's efficiencies and electronics. Things a pilot can do with a mech that doesn't change the mech at all, but shows the skill the pilot has using the stuff that already exists there.

Modules have NO MASS. The don't EXIST!.

Coolant flush??? Let me translate:

Before a fight, you throw money into the ether. You are rewarded mid match by magical coolant all of a sudden replacing the coolant already in your mech. If you throw more money into the air, even more coolant may magically appear.

Coolant Flush Modules = MAGIC!!! Woooooo!!! Magical cooling!

Coolant Pods in Classic Battletech: 1 ton each, 1 slot each, 1 use each (refillable like ammo after a match). It cools your mech a number of heat points equal to the number of heat sinks. If you take a critical hit on an unused coolant pod, the coolant, already under pressure, explodes causing 10 points of damage to your mech.

Coolant Pods = LOGIC? If you have a 1 TON tank of coolant installed on your mech, you can use it to forcibly eject the existing coolant, replacing it with fresh (cooler) coolant. Yes, this makes sense.

Conclusion: Coolant flush modules are Magical Bullshizzle and don't belong in Mechwarrior. Quit making Magical Bullshizzle and fix ECM and streaks so the game becomes more enjoyable for all players! (Also, consumable stuff that affects the game is NOT what I invested in as a founder. This game should be about skill, tactics and teamwork not about wallet wars.)

Edited by Peiper, 04 March 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#19 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

This is idiotic.

"Free" version 20% reduction that you can use TWICE

The MC version is 35% you can use ONCE.

Both use one slot.

I'd take the Cbill one over the MC

#20 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

No, no and nothing.

The only way I would accept some sort of coolant flush is if they...

A - Function like coolant pods (single shot use and they take up weight and critical space and explode like ammo if hit before use) which is unlikely since they don't appear in the Battletech timeline for a while

or...

B - You can dump coolant to reduce heat NOW at the cost of having a reduced heat capacity and heat dissipation LATER for the rest of the battle (you flushed coolant out which means you have less fluid in the cooling system which means less cooling ability)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users