[Guide] Unlocking Mech Skills: When To Sell A Variant & Other Useful Info

32 replies to this topic

#21 Huron Fal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Alright thanks, that was my bad. Time for a bit of a re-write. Luckily its not a common practice so I dont think I steered anyone wrong, but it is definately worth mentioning

#22 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, I missed it too the first time.

#23 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostHuron FaI, on 09 March 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Alright thanks, that was my bad. Time for a bit of a re-write. Luckily its not a common practice so I dont think I steered anyone wrong, but it is definately worth mentioning

Oh, I don't think you steered anyone wrong. Honestly, in most cases if you have 2 variants of a chassis at 4/4 Elite and you still own the third then it probably makes sense to just Elite that third one. I only mentioned it for the sake of accuracy and in case anyone really wanted to do it that way.

Now, you did ask for confirmation and, even though you did accept confirmation from that other guy, I figure I'd drop some screen shots just because I happen to have them.

Posted Image

That's a screenshot of my Atlas mech tree. You can see that the first is 0/4 Elite (so no Elite skills purchased there), the next 2 are MASTER 0/1 (so Master tier is unlocked and purchasable for both) and the final Atlas I've never owned and is BASIC 0/8.

Posted Image

That's the screenshot of my Awesome mech tree. The first Awesome is ELITE 0/4 (so no Elite skills there), the next 3 I don't own and are BASIC 0/8, the next is ELITE 0/4 (again no elite skills there) and the final one is MASTER 0/1 (meaning Master tier is unlocked and purchasable).

I've never owned any Stalkers. That's something I hope to rectify in the future but for now I just bought my third Catapult and after I upgrade that I'm saving my Cbills for the Jagermech.

#24 Huron Fal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the input guys, guide has been updated accordingly. Please let me know what you all think as well.

@Darkkterror

(You posted your confirmation while I was revising the article, sorry I didnt thank you right away)
Good stuff man thanks for going through the trouble. And yes accuracy is paramount to me, because I want this to be the authority on mech trees and I couldnt abide not including all the facts.

Edited by Huron FaI, 09 March 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#25 Huron Fal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

View Postknnniggett, on 09 March 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

View Postdarkkterror, on 09 March 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

You are both added to the new Credits section :(

#26 Huron Fal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Authors note added, not mandatory for the guide but it is relevant I feel.

#27 DTTuner

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Post of the year, honestly.
Thank you for clarifying a VERY important aspect of the game.

Why couldn't PGI put this information into an easy-to-read format?

#28 Skoaljaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAnywhere, USA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

I squandered my entire cadet bonus because I was not aware of the information presented here (buying, selling, upgrading selling, buying back, re-upgrading, cursing myself for doing so). Very, very valuable info and I thank you guys for taking the time to put this together!

#29 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Whow.. didnt know that.. i thought i have to Elite 3 variants each Mech to get the Masters.

So.. once i have 3 Catapults to Master. I can buy 3 Jägers, put them though basic, sell 2 after, and level only 1 to master, if i only want that variant.

#30 Fanithor

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Is there a way to check XP on a Mech that you previously owned without buying it again? If I did not complete unlocking the Mech, I would want to know which variant I had already started without needing to purchase it. Is this feature being worked on currently?

#31 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostFanithor, on 20 February 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Is there a way to check XP on a Mech that you previously owned without buying it again? If I did not complete unlocking the Mech, I would want to know which variant I had already started without needing to purchase it. Is this feature being worked on currently?

https://mwomercs.com...stats?type=mech
Would be the closest we have right now.

If it any consolation this is a known bug (even the old UI wouldn't let us spend XP without owning it, but we could see it) and a fix is incoming.

#32 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Just a note that you might want to add on:

After some mathing and estimation, it works out that taking a single variant of a single chassis in the Heavy weight class from no XP to completed Master skill will generate roughly enough C-bills to pay for that variant and reasonable customization (including engine unless it's an exorbitantly high-rating XL engine).

By a similar rote, doing the same thing with a Medium generates a net gain of roughly 1-2 million C-bills, and with a light generates a net gain of 2-4 million C-bills.

Progressing an Assault from untouched to Mastery usually winds up with a deficit of 1-3 million C-bills (as much as -5 million C-bills if an especially large XL engine is used, a Double Heat Sink upgrade is necessary, and the equipment is expensive).

These figures only hold true if the player is generating C-bills and Experience at a comparable rate (i.e., any percentage bonus to one of the two resources is mirrored on the other resource), but it remains exactly proportionate if so (so an experience bonus means mastering the 'mech before you've paid for it with a heavy).... which means that, for instance, the double XP weekend we just had can result in the frustrating realization that the pilot has mastered the 'mech possibly even before they've finished getting its components and upgrades set up, never mind earned enough C-bills to compensate for the cost of the 'mech itself.

#33 Hurin Turambar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for writing this post. It was helpful. As was the insight to the subsequent contributors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users