The Perks of Nobility

22 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

(31 May 3049)

So the rumor mills be spillin’ swill for the last while, gents. Accordin’ to the latest putrid kernel of ill-wisdom, the AFFC High Command is chompin’ at the bit to strip Duke Stephenson of his twin Ivaarsen Chasseurs regiments. After all, House Davion’s arrangement with the Duke of New Ivaarsen is that one regiment will always be posted on-world…that’s ‘so’ annoying…how dare a duke tell the mightiest army since old Aleks Kerensky vamoosed into the dark what to do, right?

Now don’t get me wrong. There’s a half lyr-of-a-chance that someone with a whiff of pull in the AFFC might be trying to bark up that tree. But let me tell ya, gents, that’s all it is... ‘Cause no one with a lick of sense believes that idea’s gonna catch traction. Let me lay down the stripes.

1. The upkeep for those twin regiments comes from the duke and his world. The AFFC doesn’t pay a dime…and when has any bureaucrat turned down free, right?

2. It’s not like New Ivaarsen is buried in the FedRat Outback…it’s smack dab along the border with the Combine. Hell, I don’t know ‘how’ many Snake and FedRat bones are buried ‘neath the loam. So the duke gets to know his homeboys are stomping the fences while he warms his feet by the fire, instead of some strangers? It still provides a punch-in-your-face regiment to cut off any heads peeking any where near that world, which is what the AFFC needs anyways.

3. Let’s not forget, ladies and gents, our existence is ruled by nobility…thank you very much, Michael Cameron, sir. And since the rise of monarchies millennia ago, what’s the cardinal rule of nobility? Don’t make the institution look bad. You defeat ‘em, you lock ‘em up, you bury ‘em in the darkest dungeon, but you never, ever, ‘ever’ set in motion anything that’ll throw dung on the nobility cloth. And after a century of sterling service, stripping a standing duke of his military…hot damn, gents, that’s not tossing on some dung, that’s grabbing the AgroMech and going to town.

4. Ol’ Duke Stephenson has served faithfully for a lot of years, now…but you think he’s gonna sit around waiting for the axe to fall if things start gettin’ serious? Not only would the AFFC likely have to dig out an entrenched regiment on New Ivaarsen, but the second regiment’s likely to go on a rampage… ‘course, I’d ‘love’ to see that.

The current set-up is a win, win, win for the duke and for House Davion. That belly-achin’ you’re hearing is the green monster of the meanest commoner sheathed in bureaucracy a meter thick and forgettin’ how the Inner Sphere turns.

Keep it locked and loaded, gents.

—Jacob Hardenson, MercNet

#2 Daemoro

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

First

#3 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostDaemoro, on 31 May 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

First person to make a fool of himself.

Fixed.

#4 Daemoro

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Yeah I know :)

#5 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Great bit of fiction!

But, I'm still holding out for us getting a new 'Mech this week :)

#6 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

taking them off world not only opens the corridor to invasion it puts Galtor Naval Yards at risk

#7 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 31 May 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Fixed.

Thank you. Nobody cares if somebody posts first, it's a mindless forum cliche repeated a thousand times a minute througout the endless jungle that is the internet.

People are impressed with intelligent statements that expand their mindset or provide them with a new way of looking at things.

That being said, it would be interesting if nobility is taken into account in the metagame. For instance, if you provide good servie to a House for a long time, perhaps you can get a Title, which would provide a CB bonus, access to rarer and more powerful "stuff", Premium house mechs, and so on.

Would definately be cool.

#8 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hrm, curious if this means anything or if it's just fluff....

#9 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostDaemoro, on 31 May 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

First

I repeat, I hope an Atlas steps on your cockpit

#10 BladedDragon

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

heh, Just take the regiment away. Not like the Combine is coming for the planet soon.... Or is it... :)

#11 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostBladedDragon, on 31 May 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

heh, Just take the regiment away. Not like the Combine is coming for the planet soon.... Or is it... :)

[Whistles an innocent tune...]

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Double-dipping into the fluff text today!

#13 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Okay, so is it just me, or does old Jake sound more like a Rastafarrian this time than a Chicago cowboy? Personality, anyone? hehe

That was a good story, though, devs.

#14 Michael Cameron

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Noblesse oblige. The Duke has certain resonsibilities to his liege and to his subjects. If he doesn't deliver...

Edited by Michael Cameron, 31 May 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#15 Mark Ender

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

thanks for the info tex.

#16 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 31 May 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

3. Let’s not forget, ladies and gents, our existence is ruled by nobility…thank you very much, Michael Cameron, sir.

"Golden Age" my ***...

#17 Hardac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 31 May 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

"Golden Age" my ***...

The only thing I want from the old days is some of that juicy tech. The other bits are jus rose colored trash. Nobility, HAH.

#18 Tornado Dash

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

As someone not familiar with the Mechwarrior lore, I really like these ISN stories they really help bring the newbies into the game world.

#19 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Good story for sure, but can whoever's writing this try and keep the voice of the charecter consistent :) Last I recall, he had a western-esque cowboy type of tone haha

#20 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 31 May 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

3. Let’s not forget, ladies and gents, our existence is ruled by nobility…thank you very much, Michael Cameron, sir....
—Jacob Hardenson, MercNet

View PostMichael Cameron, on 31 May 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Noblesse oblige. The Duke has certain resonsibilities to his liege and to his subjects. If he doesn't deliver...

Speak of the Devil!

View PostHardac, on 31 May 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

The only thing I want from the old days is some of that juicy tech. The other bits are jus rose colored trash. Nobility, HAH.

Eh the Nobility is no worse than the Clan's Khans and Galaxy Commanders, probably better actually since they actually have to pretend to have the peoples interest at heart, lest they spark rebellions and riots.

Plus due to the slow communications, size and diversity of the Houses giant democracies or republics wouldn't really work that well. It would take to long for information to get to the legislative body, they'd take to long to debate it and by the time their decision got back it'd be to late. Not to mention that having a democratic government legislate for a giant diverse nation is stupid anyway, need to have more power at the regional level. The nobility allows for that regional level power and puts someone closer to the scene who has the authority to make quick decisions and at the top you have someone who can better keep track of long term plans and operations over the months it takes to communicate with distant planets. Nobility is a pretty good way to go in this situation, just have to keep in mind any government is going to have its flaws because it's made up of humans who are inherently selfish creatures.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users