Being Able To Gift [Mc] Only

54 replies to this topic

Poll: Being able to gift [mc] (320 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to gift [mc]?

1. Yes (257 votes [80.31%])

Percentage of vote: 80.31%

2. No (52 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. Abstain (11 votes [3.44%])

Percentage of vote: 3.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Postfil5000, on 07 June 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

It's not ingame transfers. It's exactly the same as the current "buy MC" process, only the MC goes to a person that isn't you. It's like buying anything for someone that isn't you.

I buy Steam games for friends for birthdays and so forth all the time. I'd like to be able to buy MC. Even if it started up a "black" market for in game currency it can only get so bad without there being more to DO with the currency than buy robots. MMORPGs have the problems they do because you need horrific amounts of game currency to get your one persistant character equipped. Really, buying MC couldn't hurt anything...

...unless PGI actually manages to launch community warfare.

#22 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 07 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

LOL, no it IS a ingame transfer. Obviously you don't know what a ingame transfer is.

As for the idea, I would really like this and would have said yes, but think about the hackers.
As one said, there is little incentive to hack one's account. What do you do when you hack their account? Play with it as it were yours but not benefiting you? With this, hacking would increase. I am just worried.

Well, I pretty much said what I understand an in game transfer to be. It's a transfer of things that exist within the game. If I'm turning my money into MC why is it an issue if I buy the MC for someone else? As the game stands right now a hacker could just generate a load of MC for a dummy account and then sell that account, arguably at less risk.

#23 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

A hacker then could, if this suggestion is implemented, use a guys credit card to give money to his account.

#24 MuKen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

I don't think people are understanding the OP suggestion (either that or *I* am completely misunderstanding it). He is not proposing creating an economy or allowing you to give your MC to someone else. He's proposing you can make a one-time purchase of MC and instead of going to your account it goes to someone else's.

This does not create an economy, and it does not give people incentive to hack your account, since you can't do anything with MC you already own. It is no different from giving someone else cash in real life, then letting them use that to buy their own MC. Except that instead of doing it that way, you get to make it a 'gift' that they'll see the next time they log in. Like buying someone a giftcard for X-Mas.

#25 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 07 June 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

A hacker then could, if this suggestion is implemented, use a guys credit card to give money to his account.

A hacker can do that anyway. There is no check on the funding source that you use for MC other than "Is the payment approved".

View PostMuKen, on 07 June 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

I don't think people are understanding the OP suggestion (either that or *I* am completely misunderstanding it). He is not proposing creating an economy or allowing you to give your MC to someone else. He's proposing you can make a one-time purchase of MC and instead of going to your account it goes to someone else's.

This does not create an economy, and it does not give people incentive to hack your account, since you can't do anything with MC you already own. It is no different from giving someone else cash in real life, then letting them use that to buy their own MC. Except that instead of doing it that way, you get to make it a 'gift' that they'll see the next time they log in. Like buying someone a giftcard for X-Mas.

This. A thousand times this.

#26 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

No?
You can't gift anyone anything at this time. If one were to hack and spend all money on the account, it would easily be reversible, and that hacker gets little benefit.

#27 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Let us then assume a hypothetical scenario in which the payment system is sufficiently secure that hacking is difficult enough that a hacker would go elsewhere. The proposal the OP has asked for opinions on is "should we be able to gift MC to others" do you say that being able to gift people MC is a bad idea?

#28 Just4Mugs

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

why not gift c-bills aswell?

#29 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

If it was possible to transfer MCs and CBs, a bad person could go phishing, log in to a stolen account and transfer all the money to another account. He would then sell this account for big money to some i-d-i-o-t.

If however, everyone would only be able to purchase MC and then enter the name of someone else to transfer them to, the same applies. Stolen credit cards would be used to fill up the money on some other stolen account, and that account would be worth real money.

I don't think it's a good idea to open up those possibilities for bad people. Just leave it as it is now. Whats so wrong about transfering money to someone else's bank account so he can purchase credits on his own? If you really want to gift someone else, give him the g-o-d-d-a-m-n money and everyone's happy.

Edited by Typhoon Storm 2142, 07 June 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#30 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 07 June 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

If it was possible to transfer MCs and CBs, a bad person could go phishing, log in to a stolen account and transfer all the money to another account. He would then sell this account for big money to some i-d-i-o-t.

If however, everyone would only be able to purchase MC and then enter the name of someone else to transfer them to, the same applies. Stolen credit cards would be used to fill up the money on some other stolen account, and that account would be worth real money.

I don't think it's a good idea to open up those possibilities for bad people. Just leave it as it is now. Whats so wrong about transfering money to someone else's bank account so he can purchase credits on his own? If you really want to gift someone else, give him the g-o-d-d-a-m-n money and everyone's happy.

You can't just transfer people money. What if a hacker got hold of the bank account details?

#31 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

View Postfil5000, on 07 June 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

You can't just transfer people money. What if a hacker got hold of the bank account details?

Alright, I see you don't want to discuss it any further and make fun instead. Go ahead, I think I got my point across.

#32 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostBagheera, on 31 March 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

Because the second you can trade/gift real or fake money between players, the pro RMT farming outfits will take over the game and ruin it for us all.

For examples, see every game with a substantial player base and a trade economy ever made in the last 10 years.

That'll be fine. MWO fails the 'substantial player base' criteria.

Edit for ontopic:

Earlier posters are correct. If the model is thus:

Purchase MC as current, but in 'gift' form.
Enter account name for gift.
MC ends up in said account.

Then there's no potential for goldfarming or efficient laundering (it could be used to launder, but not effectively) as long as there's no capability to transfer CBills. It literally is like buying them MC with money, only you don't need to hack their account to do it.

Edited by Gaan Cathal, 08 June 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#33 Smodo77

Rookie

• The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 07 June 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

thats not a point. "evil thugs" could do this right now. take a stolen creditcard, create an mwo account, bump it with a lot mc and sell it for "real" money. no need to steal/hack accounts at all.

but btt..

so yes, i would like this feature ! just like a steam gift.

Edited by Smodo77, 08 June 2013 - 03:19 AM.

#34 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 07 June 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Alright, I see you don't want to discuss it any further and make fun instead. Go ahead, I think I got my point across.

Nope, not at all. Tried reasonable discussion, you opted to treat anyone on the other side of the argument as an *****. And anyway, your logic of "someone might hack it" applies to any online transaction.

If there was any way of converting in game earnings to real currency like in Eve or diablo 3 then your concerns might have some grounding, as people shunting funds between MWO and the real world could allow for all sorts of nonsense.

#35 HiplyRustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

There is a way, and one way, that this can work without in-game MC handling (which opens potential cans of worms):

From the account screen, build an option to buy someone else MC, attach a note to it, and have it waiting when the player logs in. It's already been put out there, and it really is the only way to do this without instituting player-to-player trading.

As for the "boost-a-noob is bad, so don't do this" argument, it's ridiculous. The noob already can (and anyone who started the game and immediately got MC already has) jump in, buy MC, and buy whatever his little heart desires. This is a way for clans or moneyed people to give MC to people who don't have it to spend here or refuse to spend here. In that case, without RMT being in-game and MC having a fixed cost, why not?

The stolen-cc/money laundering thing only exists as a game-changing risk in a game that's big enough to attract the attention of the syndicated thieves willing to start that process. I don't think this is that game.

Edited by HiplyRustic, 08 June 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#36 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

View Postfil5000, on 08 June 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Nope, not at all. Tried reasonable discussion, you opted to treat anyone on the other side of the argument as an *****. And anyway, your logic of "someone might hack it" applies to any online transaction.

If there was any way of converting in game earnings to real currency like in Eve or diablo 3 then your concerns might have some grounding, as people shunting funds between MWO and the real world could allow for all sorts of nonsense.

You are a ******* *****, do you not see what we are saying that there are problems? Why not give some one in real life money instead of risking everyone.

#37 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 08 June 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

You are a ******* *****, do you not see what we are saying that there are problems? Why not give some one in real life money instead of risking everyone.

I can see what you're saying. I also see that you're unable to express it without resorting to insults. That doesn't strengthen your case any.

If we follow the arguments you and others have presented to their logical conclusion, there can be no transfers of any kind anywhere online or in the real world because a risk exists that the transfer might be fraudulent.

In reality, PGI uses an external company to process card payments, those transactions are secure and involve authentication by the card issuer or by Paypal (or both). It is utterly ludicrous to suggest that because there is ANY risk that I cannot buy MC for someone.

#38 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

View PostACfromDC, on 12 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

- We already use playspan and in other games I've played you can use it to gift things. Maybe you friend likes the X-5 but doesn't have the money and/or your clanner friend down right now pitch in and get him some Posted Image.

I support this.

#39 Bigboij

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

kind of wish you could i want to get my bro some MC for his birthday, But with the current setup i have to send him a paypal gift with a note that say "must spend on mechwarrior credits" which isnt as nice as logging in to see som MC

#40 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 14 March 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

I don't like the idea of somebody with cash to burn pressing the fast-forward button for a newbie so they can buy a fully-customized Atlas on Day 1. If the newbie wants to fast-forward himself, sure. But nobody else should be able to do it for him.

Last time I looked ( less than 60 seconds ago) one was still only able to get the Mech via MC and still would have to level it up/get cash by himself in order to equip it .

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 11 July 2013 - 08:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users