Being Able To Gift [Mc] Only

54 replies to this topic

Poll: Being able to gift [mc] (320 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to gift [mc]?

1. Yes (257 votes [80.31%])

Percentage of vote: 80.31%

2. No (52 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. Abstain (11 votes [3.44%])

Percentage of vote: 3.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ACfromDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

- We already use playspan and in other games I've played you can use it to gift things. Maybe you friend likes the X-5 but doesn't have the money and/or your clanner friend down right now pitch in and get him some Posted Image.

Edited by ACfromDC, 12 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.
Changed option 3 to "Abstain"

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Please make sure to check for "make votes public" in future polls in the suggestion forums.
http://mwomercs.com/...estion-polling/

#3 Calem

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

While I like this in theory other MMOs had trouble with this feature. Imagine MCs bought with stolen credit card data, money laundering, MCs being moved over several accounts. It'd be nice to have, but PGI/IGP should be aware it would mean more load on their support.

#4 ACfromDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostCalem, on 12 March 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

While I like this in theory other MMOs had trouble with this feature. Imagine MCs bought with stolen credit card data, money laundering, MCs being moved over several accounts. It'd be nice to have, but PGI/IGP should be aware it would mean more load on their support.

I'm sure they will support something that makes them more money.

I'm actually suprised that this wasn't in before Christmas.

#5 Supp

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

not sure MWO is big in the agenda of money launderers or CC thieves, but I do like the idea of being able to give MC as a gift similar to steam cash

#6 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

Absolutely.

#7 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

I don't like this or any other Player-to-Player trading/buying/gifting.

I don't like the idea of somebody with cash to burn pressing the fast-forward button for a newbie so they can buy a fully-customized Atlas on Day 1. If the newbie wants to fast-forward himself, sure. But nobody else should be able to do it for him.

#8 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Why not?

My Christmas gift was some MC a friend of mine gave me... but since it's impossible to send MC to others, I had to login into my account specially so that he can use his credit card to buy me MC in front of my nose. And that was only possible because we happened to meet up that day. Totally ruined the surprise. Know plenty more people who would love to give something to their less-wallet-filled friends or loved ones yet could not do anything.

I understand that the hardcore players shivers on the thought that "leh gasp, some newbies may pay to have an easier life" or that some players may goldfarm... so I am OK if the devs think that it's not a good idea to have a mean to gift. Although Steam has it... and many other successful games. Until then, MWO may have lost part of its income due to the lack of such a system.

So... why not?

#9 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostZphyr, on 14 March 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

So... why not?

Because the second you can trade/gift real or fake money between players, the pro RMT farming outfits will take over the game and ruin it for us all.

For examples, see every game with a substantial player base and a trade economy ever made in the last 10 years.

#10 Aurrous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

I voted yes, but i know like other games eventually we will get to data packet editing, or hex converting, and soon free MC's will be floating all over the place.. It would be nice in the mean time..

#11 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yes!

This feature is wildly overdue.

View PostAurrous, on 31 March 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

I voted yes, but i know like other games eventually we will get to data packet editing, or hex converting, and soon free MC's will be floating all over the place.. It would be nice in the mean time..

The best way to to do is to make you purchase MC for a specific pilot, honestly, since then you're buying it at the time of transfer. That's almost impossible to cheat.

Edited by Victor Morson, 31 March 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#12 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

HELL no.

If you've ever played a f2p mmo, you'd know that transferring currency leads to people using stolen CC-s, stolen paypals all that jazz.

There is a good reason they dont want you to even transfer items, cbills, namely Goldfarmers, gold sites, gold bots.

View PostBagheera, on 31 March 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

Because the second you can trade/gift real or fake money between players, the pro RMT farming outfits will take over the game and ruin it for us all.

For examples, see every game with a substantial player base and a trade economy ever made in the last 10 years.

Couldnt have said better.

#13 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

How about they just make it possible to 'gift' a mech instead of MC?

When you click to buy the mech with MC it gives you the option; "Buy for self." vs "Buy as gift" and if you select gift you are then required to enter a username (with the option of backing out to prevent mistakes).

That way, you can still buy something as a present for someone without the abuses of currency trading. In reality, I am not sure if this would prevent the scamming but it would certainly be better than trading currency directly.

#14 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yes, but I voted NO. Here's why:

Right now there's very little incentive for hackers to hack MWO accounts. If you allow people to transfer items and in-game assets like MC, you will be giving them a reason to launch large scale attacks on peoples' accounts to farm MC (or any other assets that become transferable).

I'd prefer that accounts stay as isolated from other accounts as much as possible.

That being said...if they offer a system that insures that gifted MC never comes in contact with the sender's account and gets sent directly to the recipient's account, then sure.

#15 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostACfromDC, on 12 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Maybe you friend likes the X-5 but doesn't have the money and/or your clanner friend down right now pitch in and get him some Posted Image.

Then give him the money. Where's the problem with that? Or transfer it to his bank account.

Ingame transfers? No! That would open the doors for evil thugs.

#16 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

It's not ingame transfers. It's exactly the same as the current "buy MC" process, only the MC goes to a person that isn't you. It's like buying anything for someone that isn't you.

#17 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

View Postfil5000, on 07 June 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

It's not ingame transfers.

Yes it is. What do you think happens when you buy MC for someone else with your bank account or credit card? You made an INGAME transfer. That's the way the evil thugs will wash their money. Don't you think once before you post something?

#18 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 07 June 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

Yes it is. What do you think happens when you buy MC for someone else with your bank account or credit card? You made an INGAME transfer. That's the way the evil thugs will wash their money. Don't you think once before you post something?

No, it's buying something for someone. It's like buying someone a game on steam, or buying someone a burger. It's already possible to use whatever credit/debit card or paypal account you want to buy MC with anyway. If "evil thugs" are wanting to wash their money they can already do that.

An ingame transfer would be me sending you MC or Cbills or mechs that's already sitting in my account. This isn't that.

Also, there's absolutely no need to be as confrontational as you are.

#19 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

View Postfil5000, on 07 June 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

No, it's buying something for someone.

You don't know what you're talking about. As soon as you're entering game account information from somebody else on the mwo website (nickname or email or whatever), you are in fact making an ingame transfer. Think about it. I'll be as "confrontational" as I see fit.

#20 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

View Postfil5000, on 07 June 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

No, it's buying something for someone. It's like buying someone a game on steam, or buying someone a burger. It's already possible to use whatever credit/debit card or paypal account you want to buy MC with anyway. If "evil thugs" are wanting to wash their money they can already do that.

An ingame transfer would be me sending you MC or Cbills or mechs that's already sitting in my account. This isn't that.

Also, there's absolutely no need to be as confrontational as you are.

LOL, no it IS a ingame transfer. Obviously you don't know what a ingame transfer is.

As for the idea, I would really like this and would have said yes, but think about the hackers.
As one said, there is little incentive to hack one's account. What do you do when you hack their account? Play with it as it were yours but not benefiting you? With this, hacking would increase. I am just worried.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users