Elo Is A Bit Frustrating When...

16 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Of my last 5 games, I think none of them had a full team on my side. It's either an early disconnect, or simply a 7 v 8 straight out of the bat, or a combination of both making it a 6 v 8.

I can accept being rated with ELO, even though it was desiged for 1 vs 1 and it's used in a team game, but I can't really accept losing ratings because of disconnects or MM not being able to completely fill my team. This has nothing to do with skill.

It would be nice that PGI introduces a mechanic that, when your team isn't completely filled or when someone disconnects early, it would reduce the ELO penalty you get for losing.

I know some of you will say "well it happens to everyone so it balances out", but when you get it 4 or 5 times in a row, I think you can understand my frustration...

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

The short sides are due to crashes or dc's on your team. It has no relation to Elo in particular. It would be nice to know if the calculations for Elo adjustment is done based on how many actually made it to the match start or the what the team was expected to be.

#3 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostBilbo, on 13 March 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

The short sides are due to crashes or dc's on your team. It has no relation to Elo in particular. It would be nice to know if the calculations for Elo adjustment is done based on how many actually made it to the match start or the what the team was expected to be.

that's the thing, it would have been nice that those crashes and DCs were fixed before ELO got implemented...

#4 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostSybreed, on 13 March 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

that's the thing, it would have been nice that those crashes and DCs were fixed before ELO got implemented...

There is also the prevelant theory that people are modifying their map files to avoid certain maps (namely River city night and alpine), or just alt+f4ing once either map shows on the load screen. That seems at least plausible since that's pretty much when you'll find the most dcs/afks/not connects in my experience.

Edited by hammerreborn, 13 March 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#5 NKAc Street

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

There was that kind of thing before ELO, It is more frequent now since elo, but the relationship between the two if any is not really known. Could be that people are disconnecting when they see the map screen so they do not actually show up in the player list, it does seem to happen more on the lesser liked maps.

#6 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostBilbo, on 13 March 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Not to completely disagree with my commanding officer, but the other reason there could be 6 vs. 8 on your team is because some people are deleting their maps so that they don't have to run on certain maps they don't like. It's become an unfortunate side effect that the game has when people want to choose their own maps and the ELO selector picks a person, and because they cannot locate a map, it looks like someone disconnects when in reality they haven't.

EDIT: Hammerborn beat me to it.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 13 March 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#7 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

It's a good point Sybreed as we can't technically ever fully fix disconnects, e.g. could just be one of your team members genuinely lost internet as the game started, though as mentioned it's quite likely some users could be quitting out if it's not the map they want (and yes there are changes coming down the pipe to address that).

Chances are though Sybreed that part of the way the rating system works is single games shouldn't dramatically alter your rating so a few upsets here and there aren't going to move you around that fast. So long as your winning more than losing though your rating will climb, we'll consider it though.

#8 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 13 March 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Not to completely disagree with my commanding officer, but the other reason there could be 6 vs. 8 on your team is because some people are deleting their maps so that they don't have to run on certain maps they don't like. It's become an unfortunate side effect that the game has when people want to choose their own maps and the ELO selector picks a person, and because they cannot locate a map, it looks like someone disconnects when in reality they haven't.

EDIT: Hammerborn beat me to it.

No disagreement just a question of semantics. If you don't have the map you have effectively dc'd or crashed out of the match.

#9 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostBilbo, on 13 March 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

No disagreement just a question of semantics. If you don't have the map you have effectively dc'd or crashed out of the match.

<S> ;)

#10 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 13 March 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

It's a good point Sybreed as we can't technically ever fully fix disconnects, e.g. could just be one of your team members genuinely lost internet as the game started, though as mentioned it's quite likely some users could be quitting out if it's not the map they want (and yes there are changes coming down the pipe to address that).

Chances are though Sybreed that part of the way the rating system works is single games shouldn't dramatically alter your rating so a few upsets here and there aren't going to move you around that fast. So long as your winning more than losing though your rating will climb, we'll consider it though.

well, I had a 2.00 w/l ratio 2 days ago, now down to 1.00, so that's why I'm a bit frustrated. Mind you, this is out of 24 matches, so it's small sample. I hope this will turn around again just as quick as it went bad.

I didn't know there was an exploit that could let players drop on some specific maps... that could explain the early DCs because they were on 2 maps people don't like that much...

But, thx for giving some answers to my concerns!

#11 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Perhaps, in order to help alleviate the early pre-launch DC, Map Hack issue, on a pre-Launch screen DC (they didn't like the map etc etc) another 15 seconds be added to the wait, so the MM can attempt and fill that/those vacant spots.

It seems a map hackers spot is never allowed to be filled even with no DC noted. They just do not show up as ever have attempted to load in.

We have seen 8v4's when a 4 x 4 sync drop failed, with no one to replace them, apparently due to the launcher thinking they are there, thus leaving their spots closed and un-fillable. Pretty sad really.

A fix for that would be great.

#12 Buffalo Six

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationThe dropship hot burning into your atmo!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Monday night while having to endure Alpine 4 times in a row in my Atlas (2 were 8v7 plus one of those had also 1 named disco), 1 Forrest Colony (6v8) and again Alpine (again 8v7) I basically gave up for the night in disgust. Which is happening often with the MM. The weight imbalance is redunkulious

#13 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

View Posthammerreborn, on 13 March 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

There is also the prevelant theory that people are modifying their map files to avoid certain maps (namely River city night and alpine), or just alt+f4ing once either map shows on the load screen. That seems at least plausible since that's pretty much when you'll find the most dcs/afks/not connects in my experience.

never thought about that happening. that would be an easy way to manipulate your ELO. only dropping in frozen city for a high heat mech build that would be an easy way. dodgy gits

Edited by bloodnor, 13 March 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#14 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

Easy fix for this, people who make it less fun for everybody else when not getting the map they want (ie a map they dislike or a sync drop gone wrong) ->
Store the map and team they dropped out of before death, next match they get the same map AND team.
Fixed.

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

its more a problem with the gamemode if you ask me... this no respawn nonsense punishes you severely when you get a disconnect. If the game had respawns then it wouldnt really matter if one team had a disconnect. Most FPS have respawn gamemodes for a reason.

#16 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 19 March 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

Store the map and team they dropped out of before death, next match they get the same map AND team.
Fixed.

That is simply brilliant! They could do it the hard way and not force people to play random maps, even implement a lobby.. or they could embrace your idea and make people quit the game.

Your good ideas should not be limited to this forum. Please contact the devs:

Posted Image

Edit for link: http://piranhagames.com/#CAREERS

Edited by Ilwrath, 19 March 2013 - 04:55 AM.

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

View Postbloodnor, on 13 March 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

never thought about that happening. that would be an easy way to manipulate your ELO. only dropping in frozen city for a high heat mech build that would be an easy way. dodgy gits

I doubt if it's to manipulate Elo, I think it's more that Alpine and River City Night are just outright painful to use. If you rename the map folders in the game, it won't find the maps when you try to launch and will just drop you back to the UI so you can have another go in the hope of getting a different map. You can always rename them back if you change your mind.

I'm sure I've seen a dev post somewhere about River City Night where they talked about revisiting the light levels (the sky is actually quite bright but the ground is too dark in comparison) thus making it easier to use without night/heat vision. There's also the incoming changes to night/heat vision that should make RCN less horrible to play on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users