I May Have Solved Crash To Mechlab For Some People.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Mantiis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have been crashing to mechlab a lot since the last patch. On 3 separate computers with different specs.

I am currently working with support on it, however we are going through .pak stuff, graphics stuff, etc.

BUT, I have found something that (so far) has eliminated any crashing. I would like some of you to give it a try if you are getting a constant crash to mechlab right near the start of the game, or even mid game.

I signed up for ibvpn and used openvpn to play the game from a canadian server. it barely affected my ping in game and now whenever I have it on, no crashes.

Turned it off? Crashed every game in a row.

I know someone had posed a network packet issue as the cause of crashing and this might support the notion that it is a network code issue causing these crashes.

So I doubt it matters what vpn service you use, just something close to home so it doesn't affect your ping too much.

So if you guys are frustrated like I was then give it a shot.

By the way this was an accidental discovery since I just happened to sign up for a VPN for nongaming reasons.

#2 Mantiis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Support is starting to look into this but so far I have ZERO crashes all day using a VPN

#3 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

I noticed this patch was remarkably stable - until 3 days ago, when I started getting crashes. No patch inbetween. It is very probably it could be a network issue like you're mentioning.

#4 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

And for those who don't have a vpn to connect to what then?

#5 Xaxius

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

trying to setup vpn's is like putting a bullet through your head, any idea where there is an auto-installer or anything, ive been at this trying to see if it fixes my problem and so far; no dice.

#6 tehgraarg

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

Sadly I think the only reason why using a VPN is working is the different location of the country and the packet route for the network traffic. I would imagine if you get unlucky and find a VPN that takes the same route to the server, the issue would still be there.

#7 Mantiis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

well, ibvpn takes like literally 2 minutes to set up once you have an account. i got an account for $4.95 for a month to try it out.

their openVPN client is just open, login, and connect.

so I dunno maybe its a fluke but it works for me every time.

small price to pay for being able to play without crashing on any of my computers.

Edited by Mantiis, 16 March 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#8 wuselfuzz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

The usual suspect here might be IP packet fragmentation which might be avoided by using the VPN (i.e. transmitted packet is tunneled through the VPN, fragmentation still takes place but on the packets sent between the client and the OpenVPN server, but not on the packets sent/received by the game itself).

/edit: Setting the MTU on your ethernet card lower (e.g. to 1400) might change something when not using a VPN.

http://answers.micro...b5-1d1dccb121d2

Edited by wuselfuzz, 16 March 2013 - 04:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users