#1 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

I run a HBK-4P and decided to try a 4SP and I came up with this. I wonder if I will have problem with heat? I know it's a bit slow too. I wanted to go with Pulse for a change.

Thanks

#2 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostRhialto, on 16 March 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Hello,

I run a HBK-4P and decided to try a 4SP and I came up with this. I wonder if I will have problem with heat? I know it's a bit slow too. I wanted to go with Pulse for a change.

Thanks

5 M.Pulse and 27% heat efficiency, it will burn. You will definitely have heat issues. Pulse lasers are not made for boating, too hot and heavy.

[This] might be worth trying, you really need speed with short-ranged Pulse lasers. Streaks(1t ammo) to take up space, ECM will probably shut it down anyways.

[Default] -4SP loadout for most pilots.

Edited by Stingz, 16 March 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#3 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

There, I removed 1 MPL, switched from SRM6 to SRM4+A and was able to upgrade engine, much better heat efficiency.

#4 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostStingz, on 16 March 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

5 M.Pulse and 27% heat efficiency, it will burn. You will definitely have heat issues. Pulse lasers are not made for boating, too hot and heavy.

[This] might be worth trying, you really need speed with short-ranged Pulse lasers. Streaks(1t ammo) to take up space, ECM will probably shut it down anyways.

I run my 4SP like that, but with a 255 engine and a TAG. Use it as anti-light, spotting for lrm boats, and to finish off damaged mechs. It doesn't flank as well as the SRM versions, but does hit and run tactics much better. Always always always follow another mech (good tactic for any HBK pilot) but tactics will vary immensely based on your team composition. If out-ECM'd the build tends to lose a large amount of its effectiveness.

#5 Graysen

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I go with:

Endosteel, Ferrofibrous, and double sinks
260 std engine and max armor
1 medium laser and 1 medium pulse laser in each arm
2 SRM6's with 3 tons of ammo
1 AMS with 1 ton of ammo
2 DHS

Every crit slot is used, with only 0.07 tons remaining. It does run a bit hot, so you need to exercise fire control, but it's as tough as possible, as fast as possible, and hits nearly as hard as possible. I don't trust streaks on anything without ECM these days, but you can use lasers and a bit of foresight with the srms to mess up lights anyway.

#6 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

I strongly recommend a bigger engine. They are scrappy mechs, but in the end are limited in armor due to their weight class. If you don't supplement that with some maneuverability, you'll die fast more times than not.

For quite awhile, I ran the standard 2x SRM6, 5x MLAS build. I did well in it.

#7 Warskull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Swap the M.Pulse down to just M.Lasers. M.Pulse generates more heat, has less range, and only a little more DPS. The low engine is costing you weight because you can't use endosteel with all those heatsinks.

These simple changes will vastly improve your build.

#8 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Here's what mine looks like...

#9 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

I'm having a blast playing with all those builds! I didn't know I would enjoy spending that much time playing with online tools like Smurfy's.

Well, since yesterday I had something very similar to Graysen build and after seeing and comparing yours I made some change.

So from this, I came up with this. A bit less armor but 1 more point to sustained DPS. I wonder if I should lessen armor a bit to get Artemis?

The reason there is a 255 engine is simple because I already had one in standby in the shack.

I still try to figure out if TAG is useful or not, I think it greatly depends on others builds in your team. So I either keep it or remove and get back all my armor.

Thanks for all your inputs!

Edited by Rhialto, 17 March 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#10 Grifthin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

For the longest time I rand the standard 2x SRM6 and 5ML loadout. I couple of weeks ago I changed to the 5ML + 2x LRM5 setup. Well lets just say I'm rocking a 3.0 Kill death Ratio and consistently fall in the top 2-3 damage dealers on my team. I like the LRM's it gives me some direct fire capability on maps like caustic and city where exposing myself for SRM fire would be detrimental. I carry 4 tons of ammo (I know that's alot, i could upgrade the engine if i use 2 tons, but I find I'm fast enough as is with a 225) and I can fire continuously. What i find is since I have so much ammo and use so little per volley I'm happy to take pot shots even if I lose lock since I'm not expending tons of ammo each time. The 5xML means I can discourage and kill lights as well as take on enemy mediums without a problem.

#11 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostRhialto, on 16 March 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Hello,

Thanks

A lot of people might not agree with me on this, but this is what I have been playing lately. HBK-4SP Quad Medium Pulse.

It lets me leg lights and alternating them 2 at a time (each arm) gives me enough control to keep them firing almost constantly (assuming I don't waste shots on parts that I don't intend on hitting). It's nothing special, but the simplicity of it allows me to focus on other things and just get the job done while constantly shooting lasers. It's pretty good for legging lights. You can tag their legs no matter where they run and it really doesn't overheat too much when I play it.

It's no 1-man army but it is a great support brawler given you can fire from your left or right side to avoid damaging facehuggers or people who run in front of you and you can move with maximum speed for a Hunchback. I still like the 5ML/2SRM6 version, but this one is just more relaxing to play right now with State Rewind working for lasers. Perhaps when it works for missiles I might go back to it.

#12 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

I use:
std engine 230 (speed at 74.5 with elite boost value)
13 DHS
endo
std armor
2xSRM6+artemis w/2t ammo
3xMED Pulse
AMS

I have 48 firepower
1.29 heat eff.
336 armor

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 17 March 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#13 Fenris Krinkovich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationWestfall, OK

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

I ran 5xML/2xSRM6+A for a long time, but didn't like having to strip that much armor and really got stomped a couple of times on open maps by LRMS (not complaining about LRM's, I actually think they're pretty much "as intended", just got caught out by bad luck.) I changed to SRM4+A, added AMS and a half ton of armor, and it feels just as effective. I lost a little bit of point-blank punch but it's been a worthwhile trade so far.

MODOK

#14 Ozone

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Here's my build, fast close-in brawler. There's speed (84/93) and a damn good punch (50 alpha). The SP was my first mech and, with all the options I've tried, this is my favorite. Its a pretty standard build but I've dropped an energy slot for some extra armor. Initially used it for AMS, but it moves fast enough to dodge a lock provided youve got cover about. Great for running amok about hills or buildings. Follow the big boys, harass their targets, loads of assists and the odd kill.

260 engine
DHS
Endo-Steel
Artemis IV
318 armor
Groups are:
1. Left arm MLs x2
2. Left and right torso SRM6 + Artemis x2
3. Right arm MLs x2

More detail here -
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b7adc9d19a09774

Edited by Ozone, 17 March 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#15 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Haven't decided yet but if I ever get a 4SP, for a change I would try something like this.
Don't need all the close range weapons, the lasers do fine, I have done well with 5 MLs on a Trebuchet and even though the LRMs are small they allow me to function when no one is close.

#16 Ravingdork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostMerchant, on 17 March 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Haven't decided yet but if I ever get a 4SP, for a change I would try something like this.
Don't need all the close range weapons, the lasers do fine, I have done well with 5 MLs on a Trebuchet and even though the LRMs are small they allow me to function when no one is close.

That's almost exactly what I use, except I have a smaller engine and a Beagle Active Probe. I've found that four medium lasers is more than enough to be a decent brawler. It's not optimal, but anyone saying you aren't carrying your weight is either a liar or a fool. The missiles rarely kill anyone, but they're good for harrying opponents at long range and for getting you lots of assists. All in all a very versatile and fun mech build.

Edited by Ravingdork, 17 March 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#17 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

250Std,
5 Med Lasers
2 SRM6 + 2tons of ammo.

Rocks.

#18 Chalkman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Am I the only one who uses large lasers on the 4SP? Here's my build HBK-4SP.

Let's compare this to a 5 medium laser, 2 SRM6 build. 5 mediums have a higher alpha and DPS under 325 meters. Beyond that, the 2 large lasers out range and out damage them. This lets you stick back with your heavier allies and still dish out damage at a range. And withing 325 meters, the sustainable DPS of both builds is within .03 if you have elite skills. Now, my 2 large laser build has knocked down the armor values a bit, but I almost always lose a torso before either an arm or a leg, so this isn't a real problem. You could drop a ton of SRM ammo for more armor if you felt so inclined.

So that is why I generally think that dual large lasers is better than five medium lasers on a hunchback.

Edited by Chalkman, 18 March 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#19 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

Let's compare this to a 5 medium laser, 2 SRM6 build

Yeah, but the MLas x5 is build is for chodes. You would be at an objective disadvantage against one that has not had it's potential squandered by poor loadout choices, say with 4 MLas, no FF, and many more DHS instead. Also, your effective range is 270m with SRM or MLas, but if you fire SRM6 at over 180m, you're wasting missiles...

#20 Chalkman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well yes, 4 MLas is better than 5 MLas, but I usually see 5 MLas builds, so I was comparing it to that. Your build is definitely better than mine in brawls, but I still out damage you beyond around 350 meters. So it is a tradeoff between brawling capability and range.

The thing I like about my build is that it still can be a good brawler, but also has the range to support Atlases and Catapults on large maps like Alpine and Desert (soon enough).

And I wasn't factoring in the missiles beyond 180 meters, don't worry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users