Opinion On Hero Mechs?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hi guys,

I just purchased some MC to support the makers (and to upgrade myself :lol:)

So I was wondering, how do the hero mechs compare to their "normal" variant? What's your opinion on them?

I'm quite new, and I'm still looking for what mechs and gameplay interest me most.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hero mechs are great for the C-Bill boost. Just make sure the one you pick fits with your play style.

Edited by Zynk, 16 March 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#3 dbnator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 748 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany/Heinsberg

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think u maybe buy the hero Chassis wich u have already.. I purchase the YLW cause i want to start Cent's ^^ But i like them, cause its Powerful and Fast (<3)

Edited by dbnator, 16 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#4 n0e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

The Ilya is in my opinion the best hero mech.
Some like the wang.
Dragons, I don't like dragons.
A commando without ecm or streaks is bad.
The cicada is a bigger jenner.
The awesome is too big and has the harpoints spread all over his chassis. Maybe fun if you like to go and explode fast.

#5 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Nah, I'd rather not explode :lol:

I just bought my first mech yesterday: a HBK-4P, full with lasers, but i'm getting tired of him. I'm considering purchasing a heavy or assault (not necessarily hero type). I don't like the hero commando, fang, flame and "pretty baby". So that leaves the X-5, yen-lo wang and ilya muromets. But i'm still wondering how they compare to a normal cicada, centurion or cataphract.

#6 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

If you have to choose the best of the current crop of hero mechs, I can only recommend the following three: Ilya,Ilya, and Ilya*.
*4th place: Flame

Seriously, the Ilya has nice hardpoints and has the advantage of being a cataphract which is a much easier chassis to level than a commando, awesome, dragon, or cicada. And for me, the YLW is lacking the best part of the centurion which is zombie missle boat.

#7 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ilya sounds nice, I might think about that. What would be a good build for it?

#8 n0e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

here are a lot of builds:
http://mwomercs.com/...ets-best-build/

#9 Kotsuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Many builds going around for the Ilya and depends largely upon your own playstyle. Some common weapon builds:

3x UAC5 / ML(s)
2x Gauss Rifle / ML(s)
2x PPC / 1x Gauss Rifle

etc etc...

not so important to have a "good build" as much as it is to have a build that you are good at piloting. For example, the 2 PPC/Gauss build provides good burst damage which is also one of the most highly localized (damages one section) in the game and can be fired from great distances. Detractors are the fact that it lacks close range versatility and requires good consistent aim and situational / positional awareness so you don't get caught out in a knife fight or out sniped by another pilot who is more experienced than you are. A great build if you can compensate for its shortcomings, but useless if you can't.

That said, I'd have to agree with everyone else who has cited the Ilya to be the best hero mech - by far the most versatile in terms of hardpoints and hardpoint allocation and on a chasis that is relatively easy to pilot.

#10 n0e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostKotsuno, on 16 March 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

3x UAC5 / ML(s)
2x Gauss Rifle / ML(s)
2x PPC / 1x Gauss Rifle

I would agree these are the best builds. But I wouldn't play my Ilya with 2ppc + gauss because I would take my 3D for it.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Personally I own them all thus far, at least until the 5th.

Each has its own merits. None are all powerful. They excel for different uses and rely heavily on the builds created for them. For mechs that work the best with the default builds, I point you to the YLW, the Pretty Baby, and the Illya Muromets. Simply changing them to double heat sinks is all you really need. Although many customize them further.

I will tell you as one of the few who run the Pretty Baby, the worst thing I ever did was change that mech's weapons. It was the first one to consistently bring me 200,000 to 280,000 cbills per game (with premium). At times it didn't seem to matter how good or bad I did, so long as I kept shooting people and played as an Awesome should. Ranged support. Keep your distance. Bombard people you don't like. Blast everyone that gets close before they get too close. Went up to 14,000 MXP before I started upgrading the basics. Remember it'll never make a good SRM boat.

For the Muromets there are more builds. My personal favorite involves a very large engine and 3 LPLs with plenty of heat sinks. Did you know it can go almost as fast as a dragon?

Edited by Koniving, 16 March 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#12 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

How about something as this?

http://mechromancer....1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0

(hope my build showed up)

Is that kind of the direction I should be looking at?

That should work now.

Edited by Biggieboy, 16 March 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#13 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Build it with the online mechlab and then share the link.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

#14 Kotsuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostBiggieboy, on 16 March 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Is that kind of the direction I should be looking at?

It can work, but it is a very specialized build and is more suited as a complementary build if you play on a team. You'll be handicapped in a brawl, especially against lights or boated SRMs if you don't have any support with you. ER PPCs also have a tendency to run very hot, especially when stuff hits the fans.

Also, you don't really need CASE - these prevent ammo explosions from transferring damage into your CT should the ammo go off, but since you only have 1T AMS ammo, you might as well put it in your cockpit - phracts are notoriously hard to headshot.

#15 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

I thought it was to prevent "catastrophe" should the ppc's blow up. See? I'm still learning :lol:

#16 Kotsuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostBiggieboy, on 16 March 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

I thought it was to prevent "catastrophe" should the ppc's blow up. See? I'm still learning :lol:

Only thing you need to be worried about exploding is either ammo (bar gauss ammo) and a gauss rifle. Ammo is deadly because the number of rounds remaining if the ammo gets cooked off is a multiplier of how much damage it deals to the internals of your mech.

Also don't need case if you run an XL engine: case prevents damage transfer from a side torso explosion to center torso which can stop you for exploding outright. But when you field an XL engine, the engine not only takes up room in your CT but also takes up critical slots in your side torsos. Hence if your side torsos explode... your whole engine explodes. To compensate for this, make sure you position yourself well and torso roll to help spread damage over all sections of your mech. Likewise, when you start to become familiar with different mechs and different loadouts, you'll be able to recognize who might be fielding an XL engine and when you do, you can capitalize on the weakness of the XLE by shooting out their side torso for an easy kill :ph34r:

#17 tuokaerf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

I have the Ilya Muromets and a Yen-Lo-Wang. The others are cool, just not my play style (don't drive lights, Dragons are death traps for me and Awesome's never appealed to me).

I have buyer's remorse about the Yen-Lo-Wang, I couldn't get it to work quite well. Others like it a lot and you can do some interesting builds with it.

The Ilya rocks IMO. I dig the hard point layout and you can dakka like crazy with it. It and my Hunchback 4SP are go-to builds for al purpose situations.

#18 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

The heros are good money makers, but they aren't really any better than their standard variants.

#19 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

I would argue a 3xUAC Ilya is second only to an AS7-D-DC with 3xSRM6, 2 MLs, and 2xUAC5 or an AC 20 and just ahead of a Splatcat (6xSRM6 CAT-A1) or Gausspult (2xGauss Rifle CAT-K2) in terms of in game fear factor. Their potential of an Ilya to completely demolish a mech of any size is insane. The Atlas only wins out because they can tank a ridiculous amount of damage before actually dying.

If I round a corner and come face to face with one, or know that one of them is gunning for me, I play very very carefully.

The Ilya is easily not only the best Hero mech currently in the game but one of the best overall mechs in game.

Edited by Ryebear, 17 March 2013 - 01:46 AM.

#20 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

When it comes to 'uniqueness' the Flame and the Ilya come out on top compared to their normal variants. The X-5 is also good and works out of the box (no need to spend c-bills to upgrade it) though you'd have to actually like Cicadas for you to enjoy it.

The problem with Flame is that you will still have to grind for your XL engine because it does not come with one. The Ilya and the X-5 come with workable engines though I think the Ilya still needs a DHS upgrade (I can't remember). If you are not used to Cataphracts, you might get frustrated about the limited arm motion and the very low arm placement of the Ilya which makes a lot of shots hit low objects and dunes when shooting at enemies.

My preferred Hero mech right now is my Pretty Baby, but it is more due to the fact that I like the paintjob rather than the stellar placement of hardpoints. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users