Culturally Accurate Yen-Lo-Wang

Art

50 replies to this topic

#1 DifferentFish

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I finally got around to fixing my biggest pet peeve (at least visually) about MWO. This is by far the most complex texture I've ever done, and the first time I tried a design crossing multiple UV shells (the dragon.) I'm really pleased with the results.
Posted Image
Detail shots of the dragon:
Posted Image

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Yen-Lo-Wang is a Solaris mech for *** sake... :)

Why are Davions not waving white flags on every sign of battle? Why are Kuritans not using robots to fight for them? How can Steiner's aren't fascists? And Marik's are the democracy, they must always prevail no matter what! And Mackie must be discontinued, because it is sexist, Hauptmann must never be constructed because it advertises smoking. And as Einstein said, it is impossible to reach the speed of light, so the Inner Sphere must exist on Earth only....

#3 DifferentFish

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostAdridos, on 19 March 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Yen-Lo-Wang is a Solaris mech for *** sake... :)

Why are Davions not waving white flags on every sign of battle? Why are Kuritans not using robots to fight for them? How can Steiner's aren't fascists? And Marik's are the democracy, they must always prevail no matter what! And Mackie must be discontinued, because it is sexist, Hauptmann must never be constructed because it advertises smoking. And as Einstein said, it is impossible to reach the speed of light, so the Inner Sphere must exist on Earth only....

If What's-his-name has enough knowledge of ancient Chinese mythology to know who Yen-Lo-Wang is, then it's reasonable to assume he'd know that the Rising Sun symbol isn't Chinese.

#4 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostDifferentFish, on 19 March 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

If What's-his-name has enough knowledge of ancient Chinese mythology to know who Yen-Lo-Wang is, then it's reasonable to assume he'd know that the Rising Sun symbol isn't Chinese.

Neither did the guy who piloted the mech. :)

#5 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

mine to these guys, this paint scheme looks awesome

#6 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

This Yen Lo Wang looks ready to do battle in the culture war, RAWR

#7 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

looks sweet. I like my YLW but I'm really bad in it, can't seem to hit anything with that ac20 :)

#8 Alek Raynz

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

That looks awesome. PGI needs to put this in game ASAP. Better yet, they need to hire you.

#9 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

The Yen Lo Wang skin is Canon. A lot of people have bought it because of that... This is the information dark age history is very obscure and probable only serves as propaganda in most colonies. Not to mention the mechwarrior universe is very very very very culturally diverse more so than Earth sorry Terra Firma ever was. You honestly think one gladiator is gonna give a **** if he is politically correct?

I like your effort and Art.
I like how you know a little bit about different cultures and their history.

But, it's canon and canon doesn't give a beaver dam about political correctness.
And people like it's current skin.

This topic has been necro'd (≧∇≦)

Edited by Timuroslav, 27 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#10 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Posted ImageDifferentFish, on 19 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Yen-Lo-Wangs Paintscheme were the Cenotaph Stable (Solaris) colors it looks only for you like the rising sun Flagg
Posted Image

Do you remember this Flagg??
Under this Flagg the Spanish ruled their Empire and it was until 200years ago the standart Flagg for their Army and Navy. I doubt someone will remember the Rising Sun Flagg in 1000years!

Edited by Lord Sevenous, 19 March 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#11 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostDifferentFish, on 19 March 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

I always assumed that the mechs paint scheme had nothing to do with the 'mechs name, the rising sun just looked cool. Keep in mind the Yen Lo Wang was also painted in the color pattern of a hawk around this time. That said, the Dragon paint job is beautiful.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Very nice artwork.

Would point out that cultures, even today ate becoming muddied, and something of a melting pot. To assume that in 1000 years, particularly 1000 years largely dominated by war, and the killing of the intelligencia, that culture and cultural awareness would not have undergone even more fusion, is ridiculous.

Yes, the art for a Chinese named mech has an imperial Japanese navy theme. To assume Capellan is the same as pure Chinese is kind of silly though. And since the pilot in question is only HALF Capellan, to begin with, he could decorate his mech with a Canadian Mapleleaf, and still be "correct" ffs.

This is a game universe, where the current leader of that "Chinese" house is a red headed (auburn) woman with green eyes. The ruling family of the local "Japanese" house are over 6 ft tall, and have blue eyes. There are Black and White "Japanese" Samurai in his army. There are Black and Asian "Scottish" Highlanders. Compared to that, a (half) Space Chinese guy with some sort of ties to Imperial Japan (assuming that all the cultural knowledge databases even survived that far into the future.. there might someday be a world without Wikipedia, ya know), seems kinda minor.

If they wanted to, they could say the universe is run by Commie Space Canadians who used WalMart to take over humanity, and who are we to disagree? Their game world, their rules.

Do love how the PC police even have to take offense to a made up space culture from 1000 years in the future and paint it with the delicate liberal sensibilties of today.

That said, while one of my pet peeves is people who go out of their way to he offended by stuff, the artwork you laid out is darn cool work.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 19 March 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#13 DifferentFish

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm not offended, just annoyed. And I don't care if it's canon, I still think it's stupid.

#14 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Awesome paint job on the Dragon! Suits the stylized paint jobs pretty well. Not just for Solaris VII, but even some of the more audacious descriptions I've read of Kuritan Mechwarriors.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Naw, stupid would be trying to view a distant future space culture through thenlens of today's PC police and expecting things to conform to our comfortable worldview.

That said, dang nice art, but it ain't Yen-Lo-Wang. After all, I'd you don't care about canon, you shouldn't care how a canon mech is painted. Now if you want a real challenge, paint up a Commando in lederhosen.......

#16 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Nice. Looks like chinese crockery turned into a mech :lol:

#17 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

That's a rather insane amount of detail, but nice looking.

#18 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

That is amazing mate! If the Yen-Lo Wang looked like that it would be bought so much...

#19 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostApostal, on 21 March 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

That is amazing mate! If the Yen-Lo Wang looked like that it would be bought so much...

... less. It would be as crappy as before, just not even Kai's ride anymore.

#20 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostAdridos, on 21 March 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

... less. It would be as crappy as before, just not even Kai's ride anymore.

And Justin`s! He was the one who decided how this Mech should be painted and what loadout it should have!
(It was made for 1vs1 fights in the Solaris arenas)
I like the paint job but with this paint job it would no longer be the Yen!!
(do you think they will give our Yens a triple strengths Myomers in september??)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Yen-Lo-Wang

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users