• Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Posted Image

#43 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostThontor, on 20 March 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Any news on the reported issues with the Jagermech's head hitbox?

I'm personally wondering if there's actually anything wrong with the jager's head hitbox at all, or whether it's just the same missile splash bug that's affecting everyone right now and people who hadn't piloted anything else last night just assumed it was something to do with the jager in particular. It might just be that the jager's head is a *bit* above average size, like the cat, and they're just falling victim to the same lrmageddon as everyone else. Definitely needs testing, though.

Just implement the splash damage removal this week instead of April 2nd and problem solved.

I agree this is most likely the issue... And the "fix" to leg damage made it even more apparent. I hope this is the change they decide to do in the hotfix

My personal guess as to the cause of this whole thing:

The Patch Notes said:

- Fixed an issue where firing SRMs at close range at an enemy BattleMech's leg does little to no damage.

Thing is, this wasn't just SRMs. This was a bug with explosive weapons in general:

Thomas Dziegielewski said:

Leg damage from explosive weapons has a possibility of being a fraction of what it should be [Resolved]

BUG : We have been adding more and more pieces to the legs of mech for various reasons. This has caused our explosion engulf code to exhibit an issue by dealing less damage than it should to the leg components from explosive weapons in certain situations.

NOTES : The system has now been upgraded to instead of using the number of pieces in the leg to the actual volume the pieces take up. Way more accurate, way more robust. This would also have affected arms if they were made of many pieces, but none really are.

ESTIMATED PATCH : March 19th 2013

So this *should* have affected LRMs as well, however, I'm guessing nobody really noticed. After all, 'I just fired 36 SRMs into that guy's leg and the armor only turned yellow' obviously denotes something wrong, but people *expect* LRMs to mostly damage the upper body. I don't think anyone ever really realized that every LRM missile that *missed* and exploded on the ground nearby would have been doing full splash damage to the legs if it wasn't for this bug.

I'm also guessing (although this is *PURE* speculation) that this particular 'components not taking full damage from explosive weapons' bug was *also* keeping heads from taking damage, but again it wasn't noticed because nobody *expected* heads to be falling off left and right whenever people got hit by missiles, even though that *should* have been happening if not for this bug.

So, my guess: they fixed a bug that was first noticed with SRMs not properly registering damage against legs, not realizing that this bug was also covering up a horrific balance problem with missile splash in general against heads, and LRM splash in particular against legs.

#44 Receptivex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thank you. Was just going to come in here and complain about the lrm boats today. Game to me is unplayable now cause all the games is just lrm you to death so if you dont boat u wont win its unfun.

#45 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostReceptivex, on 20 March 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Thank you. Was just going to come in here and complain about the lrm boats today. Game to me is unplayable now cause all the games is just lrm you to death so if you dont boat u wont win its unfun.

rules for beating missile boats still apply and ECM still neuters them

#46 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostHayashi, on 20 March 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

It's not just the LRMs. I can headshot any Mech that is standing still, but the JagerMech is the only Mech I can headshot while both the target and myself are running at full speed. And I'm using Pulse Lasers only.

So many VolMods are hesitatnt to express their opinions if contrary to the party line. It's nice to see a 'real' opinion from a greenie. Kudos to you good sir :)

Mr 144

#47 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostOmni 13, on 20 March 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

ECM still neuters them

One horrifically OP thing countering another horrifically OP thing is not exactly an optimal balancing method. :)

#48 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

good to hear something official about this problem. As a Laser fan that is forced to use LRMs now to be competitive, I'm looking forward to the hotfix :)

#49 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostNorman Kosh, on 20 March 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

good to hear something official about this problem. As a Laser fan that is forced to use LRMs now to be competitive, I'm looking forward to the hotfix :)

We need more of an official update than we are looking into it.

#50 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

What about the head hitbox issue on the Jagermech?

#51 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I hope they fix it soon. MWO is now LRM Warrior

#52 Lazyone

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thank you for the update.

#53 Receptivex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

ECM only is good if someone is running it. When everymatch has over half the team as lrms and the other team never has ecm there is a problem. If Lrm's had their damage halfed then you would only see maybe 1 or 2 on a team as its intended to be support fire not main fire kill everyone.

#54 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostMr 144, on 20 March 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

So many VolMods are hesitatnt to express their opinions if contrary to the party line. It's nice to see a 'real' opinion from a greenie. Kudos to you good sir :) Mr 144

There really is no party line - if there was I would have been removed a long time before now. We have about as much diversity in our views as there is diversity in people on the forums. We share moderation procedure in common, but that's all we uniquely have in common. We share faith that this game will succeed, but that's something I would say we have in common with nearly all founders and some non-founders. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't say something is an issue when we think there is an issue - and we may disagree on what we think needs change among ourselves. But back to topic...

Edited by Hayashi, 20 March 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#55 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,584 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

THX Bryan :)

#56 Rozav

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

i need to get home then, and make my LRM spamming Atlas before any change goes live.
Just once, I need to live my dream of a near-suicidal emo gundam pilot raining down hundreds of missiles on unsuspecting Leos.

#57 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I've seen so many completely devastated from missiles mech death shot lately. Even a few comical ones where nothing remains of the mech but two stripped legs.

#58 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I hope they fix the issue but I also hope they don't make the lrms and other missiles useless. It will be hard for them to find a balance but with the jager mech being out and its issue it will make it seem like lrms are apocalyptic when in truth they just need a tweak as well as jager mechs hit box.

#59 UberFubarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostMuonNeutrino, on 20 March 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

One horrifically OP thing countering another horrifically OP thing is not exactly an optimal balancing method. :)

I agree, both should be tweaked such that LRM is a bit more consistent, instead of the current binary effect of LRM either being super OP or completely useless.

#60 Xandergod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 145 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostAcid Phase, on 20 March 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

One more thing I propose though. Have some sort of skill involved in Streaks & LRMs. For example. For every shot taken, make a re-lock feature. That way we don't have unskilled trigger happy pilots holding down that fire button.

This would work how? During cooldown, wouldn't one just reestablish the lock? What skill does this involve beside wearing my r key down?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users