Ferro-Fibrous Armor

24 replies to this topic

#1 0X2A

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Ferro-Fibrous armor should be looked into, as endo-steel internals offers far more of a benefit.

Endo Steel: 24.2 tons with maxed armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d536b6f29c40cf

Ferro-Fibrous: 27.1 tons with maxed armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...845059ef12b30bd

That's a 2.9 ton difference in favor of endo steel internals, so endosteel is simply "better".

Anyone care to discuss? I don't really have any good ideas for FF other than making it equal with endo steel.

Maybe it could absorb a bit more damage?

Discuss.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Maybe it could absorb a bit more damage?

No. Light mechs don't need to be even better. And any buff you give to FF will only make light mechs better.

#3 0X2A

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostKhobai, on 21 March 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

No. Light mechs don't need to be even better. And any buff you give to FF will only make light mechs better.

Then what do you suggest?

#4 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Honestly I would just leave it as is.

But if you wanted to buff FF without making lights more powerful, the only way I could see it working is if you reduced the number of available crit slots that light mechs have per the optional rules in maximum tech.

Lights get -8 crit slots (-2 from each arm, -2 from each side torso)
Mediums get -4 crit slots (-1 from each arm and side torso)
Heavies get -2 crit slots (-1 from each arm)

Quite frankly it makes sense that bigger mechs would have more crit slots anyway.

Edited by Khobai, 21 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#5 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'd rather see endosteel locked into the chassis that have it by default, ferro should be available to all chassis as a upgrade.

#6 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Let it increase the amount of armor you can place to each area by X (maybe 12%), so that it doesn't benefit mechs who don't want more armor. We don't need Endo and FF armor like how they are.

#7 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 21 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I'd rather see endosteel locked into the chassis that have it by default, ferro should be available to all chassis as a upgrade.

This is what I personally would like Endo-Steel to be while Ferro-Fibrous is allowed to be equipped on all mechs. The only problem is Endo-Steel is pretty rare on mechs.

I would suggest it making armor 12% lighter (current) and allow 12% more armor. Thus, any mechs equipped with it now has to sacrifice tonnage to equip more of the armor. Any builds now running both Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous and maxing our their tonnage would have to find another 12% of their total armor weight in tonnage to gain the extra benefit. But it would give an option between Endo-Steel (50% extra tonnage of internal structure weight) or Ferro-Fibrous (12% extra armor for 12% more tonnage of armor weight).

Also, PGI is already looking into this: Ask the Devs - 29A Answers

View PostGarth Erlam, on 02 January 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Q: Has there been any thoughts by you guys to help boost FF, to make it an upgrade, instead of a next step upgrade to ES? [Zyllos]
A: Yes we have, and they are ongoing. We have a few ideas, though a nice first step was removing the repair cost fromt he game Posted Image [Garth]

View PostICEFANG13, on 21 March 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Let it increase the amount of armor you can place to each area by X (maybe 12%), so that it doesn't benefit mechs who don't want more armor. We don't need Endo and FF armor like how they are.

Also, remember, if this is done, it also effects Clan mechs. And their Ferro-Fibrous gives 20%, so they can equip 20% more armor for 20% of the tonnage of armor equipped.

Here is a good thread over the subject: Ferro-Fibrous Revisioned

Edited by Zyllos, 21 March 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#8 Limidas

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Copenhagen

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Agres with icefang
Let endosteel make you lighter and let FF make you able to put on up to 15% or 25% more armour. This would ofcause require you to use 15% or 25% more tons on armour.

#9 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thered be no reason not to put 12% more armor on a light mech. And heavys and assaults wont benefit from it.

All youre doing is making light mechs even stronger.

Edited by Khobai, 21 March 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#10 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

It would be unique, and MWO FF armor could be even the same to clans, since its completely different. Ironically, per ton, the Commando has the most armor by a lot, and it gains like half a ton to a ton for Endo, its still worthless in comparison. Wouldn't really have a problem with Endo taking up more slots too, so it usually is really some small to moderate sacrifice, almost all mechs use it because the double engines are what they need to be cool.

View PostKhobai, on 21 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Thered be no reason not to put 12% more armor on a light mech. And heavys and assaults wont benefit from it.

It weighs more, are you one of the people who think light mechs are unstoppable? Or that an Atlas won't want 12% more when it weighs 100 tons and usually runs out of slots? 12% more is another 74 points of armor, that's a lot, for an Atlas, which weighs 2.3 tons... that's a huge buff, that's why 12% is probably too high. On lights it would be an additional 28 points, also large, at about .9 tons, light mechs that used it would get a lot less, and that ton is helpful and needed. It would be a much larger bonus on heavier mechs, but it would be much better balanced as well. (Just like the 2X armor bonus? It makes me sick when people tell me that was a huge light buff, I mean 2X22, thats 22 more armor, 2X60, thats 60 more armor, and it hurts striker light mechs a lot more than that).

I would probably start at 10% rounded down, but maybe somewhere between 5-9, depending, I mean 10 is pretty easy to do as well.

#11 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

It weighs more, are you one of the people who think light mechs are unstoppable?

not at all. but light mechs already tank way better than assaults. they dont need to be better at tanking.

#12 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

I think you all are forgetting that the light will need to make up that 12% extra armor in tonnage to equip it. Meaning less weapons/ammo/internal components/engines, ect.

Edited by Zyllos, 21 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#13 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostKhobai, on 21 March 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

not at all. but light mechs already tank way better than assaults. they dont need to be better at tanking.

Skirmishing and tanking are not the same thing. A light mech played well can keep a team busy without fighting, but him tanking (as in taking damage), is not going to live long.

#14 Godswrath

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSterling heights Michigan

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostKhobai, on 21 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

light mechs stronger?? I didn't notice that at all.....the only thing light mechs have going for them is speed....they can still be killed fairly easy when hit

#15 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

it nly gives a .125 (if I recall correctly) addition to armour it rarely of great utility it's biggest attraction is that it can be retrofitted in a mech bay and endo steel needs a trip to the factory. (inTT) some mechs benefit and some don't depends on the build. the clan stuff is better.

#16 HarmAssassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI, USA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Leave it alone, it isn't broken.

#17 HarlequinD

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostHarmAssassin, on 23 March 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Leave it alone, it isn't broken.

It's not broken, just not useful. If you have 14 slots left why would you ever contemplate FF over endo? It needs to have a different usage.

#18 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

can not change this the weight saving of FF and endo. it will ruin MANY classic variants. endo is just plain better, take it up with the person who made CBT.

#19 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Skirmishing and tanking are not the same thing

Yes they are. Evasion is a form of damage mitigation. Light mechs, due to evasion, currently tank better than assaults. Which is so wrong for obvious reasons. And you want to make that problem worse?

#20 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

It would make assaults, proportionally better. And evasion may reach the same end, but tanking means to take damage, a light mech taking damage is dead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users