- Yes we are currently working on a 3rd person option for MWO.
- There is no ETA for when 3rd person will be available.
- Players will never be forced to use or play against other players using 3rd person.
- Reduces friction for non-MechWarrior players, non-core players, and expands the MWO market to a broader audience. It helps to make the game more accessible and less intimidating.
- Offers up a different style of gameplay and tactics.
- Play against 1st and 3rd person players.
- Play against 3rd person players only.
- Play against 1st person players only.
- Players can set their preference in the options menu, or during the launch phase before matchmaking.
- We have not decided on the final implementation of what third person will look like yet.
- We are very aware of the design and balancing challenges faced by adding a 3rd person option and will address these through exhaustive private and public testing before pushing any 3rd person features live.
- It is possible 3rd person will be made available in other regions first. Typically 3rd person is more widely used outside of North America.
- We understand players may be concerned about matchmaking and further segmenting the player base. So are we. Before going live with a 3rd person option, we plan to investigate and solve any potential issues further fragmentation may cause.
- Standard forum rules apply, please be kind, courteous, and clearly communicated your ideas or opinions.
- This is not the place to say you dislike 3rd person.
One poster mentioned something that I thought was more than fair. List some of the ideas we've been toying with in order for it to work. These are just SOME of the ideas we've been discussing:
- Camera is locked horizontally to the torso. This is not a peek around corners mode.
- Camera is locked vertically to the torso, you can only look up and down as far as your torso can.
- When approaching cover (to rocks/building etc), the camera pulls IN so FoV is greatly reduced when standing close to something.
- 3rd Person is not a free-cam.
- HUD will be significantly reduced if not completely removed.
- LOS targetting is NOT affected by 3rd person. If you cannot target it from 1st person, you cannot target it in 3rd.
- ONLY the targeted enemy (Press R) can be identified in 3rd person... all other HUD indicators are turned off.
Edited by Paul Inouye, 22 March 2013 - 04:24 PM.
Added mid-thread response to the end of the post.