New Vision Modes Not Final - Feedback

69 replies to this topic

#21 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Glad it's getting changed. I wouldnt mind the vision being white like that for everyone, then an advanced one in modules for snipers who want to sink the EXP into it!

#22 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Dang missed the in game preview.

On a positive note, thank you for the direct communication. It is reassuring to me when one is able to admit a mistake,fix it without being prompted to, and planning/implementing a course of action to follow to avoid the same mistake a second time.

#23 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Why is the video on MMORPG.com? Mechwarrior Online is not an MMORPG no matter how much PGI or any website wants it to be. The RPG part is about as shallow as any CoD/BF3 type unlocks. The "MMO" is about as "massively multiplayer" as Leauge of Legends. Even if you add community warfare, it'll still be a 12v12 arena game at max. This is not "massively multiplayer".

That said, the communication is incredibly welcome. I'd like to see a LOT more posts like this. Having info straight from the developers on a regular basis not only helps testing but it also helps quell the rampant misconceptions among the player base.

Edited by Nonsense, 22 March 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#24 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Dracol. It's been a busy week!

#25 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Whats funny is I haven't seen a post about the thermal mode change at all... looks like the testers weren't the only ones who didn't use it B)

#26 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostChavette, on 22 March 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Whats funny is I haven't seen a post about the thermal mode change at all... looks like the testers weren't the only ones who didn't use it B)

It's a good indicator that people liked it! The only time they visit the forums is when they are angry.

#27 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostDracol, on 22 March 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Dang missed the in game preview.

Some pics on the first page, but neither were incredibly useful yet anyway.

#28 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 22 March 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Some pics on the first page, but neither were incredibly useful yet anyway.

I found the new thermal to be very useful, was able to much more accurately hit exposed sections outside of 200M (but not outside of 650M) since it wasn't just a blue blob.

Edited by DragonsFire, 22 March 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#29 IG 88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSagunay, Québec Canada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't think you can call that new heat vision "heat vision" actually more like a "motion sensor vision" because I don't see any heat here

Edited by IG 88, 22 March 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#30 Brothergrimm

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Might I suggest this approach, PGI?

#31 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Posted Image

Because I am at work and this is all I can do.

#32 Hawkwings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 22 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

How did this get past QA?
Well the nature of a hot fix is to change very little and only test your changes.
So this begs the question, why were vision modes changed at all? Are you not capable of tracking what changes go into what builds of the game? Obviously you did not intend to change the vision modes, so why were they changed?

#33 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I don't understand. The vision modes looked the same after the missile hotfix, and only look different after today's patch.

This^

#34 Larth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostIG 88, on 22 March 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I don't think you can call that new heat vision "heat vision" actually more like a "motion sensor vision" because I don't see any heat here

Most non movie *coughs Predator* heat vision is actually black and white. So this is actually more realistic than the movie heat vision. If not gray scale, it's in some mono scale format (for example red scale).

@Matt Newman: as for the sneak peak, I'll say it looks good for only being half implemented. At least the thermal does. Didn't get a night match to try the nightvision...well a River City night match. Fully expect it to be nigh useless on Frozen City night, with that much moonlight and it reflecting off the ice, should be blinded. Looking forward to the fully implemented rendition on the 2nd. Kudos to you and the team who worked on them.

Edited by Larth, 22 March 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#35 MikeTheDestructor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

@Matt Newman: thank you for saying everyone what is happening! You know, I was worried at first, because not everyone has that "preview"... Or it looks like that half the people got it without a reason!

EDIT: @Larth, I got one and it was awful.... You can't see anything with that night vision

RE-EDIT: I was right it wasn't intended already as stated by Matt and now they have already fixed them. Good job fixing that so fast and if they return the 2nd of April, I'll be very happy!

Edited by MikeTheDestructor, 22 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#36 Necro

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Nice Highlander in that vid.

#37 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostBrothergrimm, on 22 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Might I suggest this approach, PGI?

Ever tried to get an artist to use git :)

#38 wuselfuzz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostLarth, on 22 March 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Most non movie *coughs Predator* heat vision is actually black and white. So this is actually more realistic than the movie heat vision. If not gray scale, it's in some mono scale format (for example red scale).

Having the chance to check out our server room once with a toy worth 10k Euros, I beg to differ. Heat values are mapped to color value instead of intensity to get a much better contrast between hot and cold surfaces.

Edited by wuselfuzz, 22 March 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#39 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

And we were just getting all the pinned topics out of the GD...

crapweasel.

#40 Cifrer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Having had the chance to use thermal scopes for a m240g and a m2, black and white thermals give very high detail. Color scale thermals lose a lot of the detail which is why it's not preferred military hardware.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users