Arm Lock Toggle

32 replies to this topic

Poll: Toggle arm-(un)lock (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support the OP's Suggestion?

1. Yes (109 votes [94.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 94.78%

2. No (5 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. abstain (1 votes [0.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Update: You can now toggle your arm lock using a autohotkey script! See post #9.

----

I would like to see that arm lock can be toggled next to the current option of push-to-(un)lock.

I think arm lock is a nice feature when lining up a shot but I prefer to have them unlocked most of the time. When I'm piloting a HBK-4P there are time when I'm tracking, or looking around and having the arms unlocked is great. There are also moments in which I need all lasers to hit the same spot and not have the arms dragging ahead. This is the moment I lock my arms.

Now this presents me with a problem. When I'm holding down the shift key, I can't effectively turn and throttle my mech. These are the things I do have to do when brawling.
Having the option to toggle my arm lock, rather then push-to-(un)lock would solve this for me.

(I could of course go out and buy an expensive mouse with a few thumb buttons, but even then I'd probably like it to be a toggle).

Edited by Hauser, 13 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.
Changed poll answer three

#2 Static1Shot

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I really like this suggestion and it's how I thought they were going to impliment armlock in the first place. A toggle makes a lot more sense than a press and hold option as it's not something you want to do "briefly", it varies mech to mech and situation to situation. I'd rather just press the button once and forget it until I want to change it, then press the button again.

Currently, to "toggle" it you have to use a macro, or go into the options and toggle it there. Having to press and hold "shift" while trying to fine aim with the arms just makes it that much more difficult. Likewise, if I'm playing with it toggled off then I have to press and hold shift while I'm fighting to make sure the arms remain locked.

Some players like press and hold, others like toggle. For me it depends on the function, but I certainly love it when developers give players the choice of which method they want. If arm lock could be toggled in game via a keybinding, I think I'd actually use the feature. As it stands currently you give up too much by running arm lock and forcing yourself to press and hold shift when you want to unlock them for the extra aiming range.

#3 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

Cheers!

You happen to know a good macro program to use in the mean time?

#4 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

+1

#5 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

+1 bump

#6 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostHauser, on 22 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I would like to see that arm lock can be toggled next to the current option of push-to-(un)lock.

I think arm lock is a nice feature when lining up a shot but I prefer to have them unlocked most of the time. When I'm piloting a HBK-4P there are time when I'm tracking, or looking around and having the arms unlocked is great. There are also moments in which I need all lasers to hit the same spot and not have the arms dragging ahead. This is the moment I lock my arms.

Now this presents me with a problem. When I'm holding down the shift key, I can't effectively turn and throttle my mech. These are the things I do have to do when brawling.
Having the option to toggle my arm lock, rather then push-to-(un)lock would solve this for me.

(I could of course go out and buy an expensive mouse with a few thumb buttons, but even then I'd probably like it to be a toggle).

It would be easier if they make arm-lock disable when you're using free-look.

That way you can run with arm lock and just use freelook to move the arms. Saves you to have to click 2 buttons to do the same and you can still run with arm lock on or off.

#7 EvangelionUnit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 776 posts
  • LocationWarframe

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

+1 OP !
even better, get this as option like chainfire, so if you have one arm weapon you want to fire with torso weapons, lock it, and keep the other free (migth be usefull for dragons or atlas with asymetric arm weapon load or the new highlander )

Edited by EvangelionUnit, 05 April 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#8 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Bump.

In the mean time does anybody have some auto hotkey magic to make this work? If you could push one button to toggle another it could simulate the armlock toggle.

Edited by Hauser, 11 April 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#9 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Created an AutoHotkey script to make a toggle button.
  • In your control settings bind 0 to arm lock.
  • Run the script as administrator.
  • Then pressing caps lock will toggle arm lock on and off.
You can change the specifics by replacing the relevant bits in send {0 up} and send {0 down} and Capslock:: with your preferred choice of keys. You can find the full list here.

;
; AutoHotkey Version: 1.x
; Language:	   English
; Platform:	   Win9x/NT
; Author:		 Hauser <luke.hoser@gmail.com>
;
; Script Function:
;	Creates a toggle button.
;

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
#InstallKeyBDHook
#InstallKeyBDHook  
#IfWinActive MechWarrior Online ; Avoid messing with the keys outside of MWO.

SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

armsLocked := 0

Capslock::

if(armsLocked){
   armsLocked := 0
   send {0 up}
} else {
   armsLocked := 1
   send {0 down}
}

return

Edited by Hauser, 13 April 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#10 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

THANK YOU!!

Edited by Spirit of the Wolf, 15 April 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#11 Xenon Megablast

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

So, any news on this?

#12 Foster Bondroff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Good idea. Want arm lock toggle.

#13 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

It would be really nice if you could set this per MECH...

#14 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

This should be part of the stock UI. I had a similar thread in the past, and it would be a great help. Some 'mechs I want to arm lock for extended periods and I hate playing finger twister to do it, but I also don't want to toggle it so they're locked by default: I use my arms, a lot.

#15 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

View PostHauser, on 22 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

You can't? The default arm-lock key is shift, which is usually the default 'sprint' key in most FPS/TPS games precisely because it's so easy to hold down whilst still allowing full use of the WSAD keys.

View PostVictor Morson, on 03 June 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

This should be part of the stock UI. I had a similar thread in the past, and it would be a great help. Some 'mechs I want to arm lock for extended periods and I hate playing finger twister to do it, but I also don't want to toggle it so they're locked by default: I use my arms, a lot.

So lock it and put your pinky on shift when you need to move the arms?

#16 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

imho arm lock toggle is a must. also, arm lock should still make the circle move 1-2 cm from the cross, thus forcing some convergence time rather than the current pinpoint aim it gives. the arm lock is a huge culprit in the current ppc/gauss meta due to how convergence works for ballistics in arms (ballistics shooting to the circle outside the cross will converge strangely/completely miss targets)

#17 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I just use the Left Shift button, as it's mapped by default to disable/enable arm lock as long as it's being held. Whenever I find myself with a loadout that's split between the torsos/arms, I usually find it works fine to run with the weapons either unlocked or locked and only hit Shift when I need to. Like, if I run MLs on my arms and torsos and the most of my main weapons are on the torsos, then I just run with the arms locked and only hit SHIFT for a moment to unlock them if I need to point my arm-mounted lasers up high.

That... and I often accidentally hit the CapsLock button when reaching for the "a" button, so I try to avoid Capslock-binds like the plague.

However, this fix seems like it'd work well for others who have to frequently lock/unlock their arms... and have less buttery fingers than I.

#18 oldhasu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Bump.

Will we ever be able to TOGGLE without using third party software?

#19 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

I agree. I do not lock my arms. I found it restrictive when I have tried it.

Their are people who find the function useful, and want to be able to freely toggle between locked and unlocked. Not only that it would make piloting more streamlined. This should have been part of the original implementation.

#20 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:59 AM

yeah, make toggle arm lock a toggle please, now it's a press and hold, which is annoying.

and maybe make tag toggleable while you're at it.

Edited by Flapdrol, 22 November 2013 - 02:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users