The Dragon..is it lacking some firepower?

125 replies to this topic

#121 Blahberry

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Its like a cavalry, you lead the assault since you can take the damage and do some good hits, then break off to the sides dispersing and causing havoc behind enemy lines, letting Atlas do his work.

#122 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'd heard lots of bad things about the Dragon, but found that in actual fact it suits my play style rather well (fast hit n run).

My favourite is the 1C with 4ML, Gauss and XL300. Plays just like a big Centurion.

#123 Blacke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts
  • Location3rd Takata Lancers

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

This has been a supper informative discussion for me. Bravo to all the contributers.

#124 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

If a player says that the dragon is a bad chassis, they either:

A ) Cannot accept/understand the predator mentality that the chassis requires

or

B ) Are simply not skilled enough to use it well. (I truly mean no offense to anyone who isn't good enough - the DRG is one of the two most high player skill required mechs in the game - that said, it may not be the mech for you)

In the end though - even though it is most definitely one of my favorite chassis' I don't think I would take it to competitive play (i.e. 8-mans, tournament play)

Edited by Cubivorre, 18 June 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#125 Pliskkenn D

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

I own all 3 Basic Chassis. Just finishing Elite on the last one now.

My 1C has 4 MPL and an LB10X with AMS. Endo-Steel / DHS and an XL320 Engine. 95kmh with Speed Tweek means you're really great for dipping in and out of the brawl or chasing fleeing lights/mediums. Just don't get caught out in the open.

Have a 5N with a UAC5, 2 LL and an SRM4 for when I decide to get silly. Great medium range harrier and great for supporting other mechs. That's the thing with the DRG, your massive center torso means you cannot afford to be the center of attention. However tiny side torsos mean an XL engine isn't a bad thing. You've got some great speed and reasonable armour, just don't get drawn into a straight firefight.

My 1N has an ERPPC and Gauss. Mostly because I had Short and Medium Range with my other variants. Great at repositioning and popping shots off from side angles. But caught by itself you'll probably be in trouble.

#126 Tovan Cassidine

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

The Dragon is a great Battlemech. You have to realize that it is a skirmisher, not a brawler, and adapt your tactics accordingly. It is not meant to be on par with other heavy Battlemechs. I just got out of a match wherein I scored 3 kills, 2 of which were Atlas variants. You have to play it how it was meant to be played and that is definitely not for everyone. Read the description of the Dragon on Sarna, including the history of the thing, and you will gain enlightenment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users