Thanks Pgi For Holding A Trial Contest.

58 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hey PGI and IGP.

The Word of Lowtax sincerely thanks YOU for your :effort: in organizing and going through the recent Community created heavy Trial Mech Contest. We realize that a lot of work went into it. And realize that you have a lot of other work to attend to.

We hope you will hold further contest or choose another avenue to improve the New User Experience. You can be assured that we will assist you in any way possible. Perhaps it might help using a Community created mechlab to easier compare builds.

http://mechromancer.wordoflowtax.com
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de

To make it easier to sort through the builds I'd suggest using www.reddit.com to lighten the workload. You could create a reddit for each Weight Class/Chassis and every contributor could make a root class Commet to his build. This way interested users could vote onto the designs while they get submitted.

This would have the advantage of pushing the best builds to the top, making it a lot easier to select from the Top 5.

Thanks for your time and :effort:.

We hope you continue on your way to improve this great (slightly unfinished and buggy) game. On which I already spent way too much time + money.

Communication is Key.

#2 GreatBeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, trial contest owned. Please do more.

#3 Star Captain Obvious Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Community Designed trial mechs, especially the dragon, is the best solution going forward.

Most Table Top designs just don't translate well to MWO, and we don't want to turn off any new players because they can't shoot without overheating.

#4 I l

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Pig!

#5 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

That was a really cool contest to run, and I hope to see it run often enough that there's a stable of trial mechs, instead of one good mech and a bunch of unplayably-bad stock mechs.

#6 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostI l, on 26 March 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

Thanks Pig!

Was that a typo?

#7 MrWhite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yeah I agree, you need to ignore the guys who ***** n moan about everything I think this was a great idea and I'd like to see more.

#8 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostVoridan Atreides, on 26 March 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Was that a typo?

I think, so. If you mistype PGI enough, you end up with IGP.

But more importantly do you thank PGI ?

Please voice your opinion.

Communication is Key.

Edited by Tank Boy Ken, 26 March 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#9 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Its technically PGI's fault/bad for not thinking of ways to make a stock trial mech completely playable. Heat and Weapon and ECM balancing is the root of that problem.

Edited by General Taskeen, 26 March 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#10 Mr Fistr Kerensky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thank you PGI for taking the time out from making my game crash in new and insidious ways causing me to completely re-install the client after each patch and offering this swell contest.

#11 Arcadinal

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Absolutely, this contest achieved two great things at once: Potentially improving the new player experience and giving the existing community a fun way to be involved with the game's development. Kudos, I also defenitely hope to see more stuff like this in the future!

#12 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostMr Fistr Kerensky, on 26 March 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

Thank you PGI for taking the time out from making my game crash in new and insidious ways causing me to completely re-install the client after each patch and offering this swell contest.

You... you know the people that manage the community aren't the same people that code the game, right?

#13 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 26 March 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Its technically PGI's fault/bad for not thinking of ways to make a stock trial mech completely playable. Heat and Weapon and ECM balancing is the root of that problem.

You can't fix the stock loadouts. They are bad against customized Mechs. Even in TT a customized build will rip a Stock mech to pieces. If they'd staid at stock Values we'd see Medium Lasers at every corner.

If we had a game mode with Stock Mechs only that would be a balanced game mode by nature of having balanced builds. Battletech in it's early years was balanced as long as no modified mechs were involved.

#14 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Trial 'mechs are perhaps the worst part of the new player experience, and I'm glad to see you addressing it. Please do this for every weight class every month. Or just have devs come up with builds. Stock = ****.

Thank you, PGI.

#15 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

I am Roadbeer, and I approve of this message.

#16 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostTank Boy Ken, on 26 March 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

You can't fix the stock loadouts. They are bad against customized Mechs. Even in TT a customized build will rip a Stock mech to pieces. If they'd staid at stock Values we'd see Medium Lasers at every corner.

If we had a game mode with Stock Mechs only that would be a balanced game mode by nature of having balanced builds. Battletech in it's early years was balanced as long as no modified mechs were involved.

If PGI can't think outside the box, then of course its bad.

Like giving a Trial Mech (in a stock form) added bonuses like a little better damage soak, giving the weapons better damage output, or heat dissappation or whatever. If that could be done without breaking the game, then cool, but I doubt it. At the bare minimum, heat is a main problem for a stock trial Mech, because PGI f'ed up with SHS and DHS. I've built stock record sheet Mechs in this game that used DHS from canon and they work absolutely fine, hence they f-ucked up by leaving SHS in the trash can.

I can play a craptastic Trial Mech in Hawken and still get top K/D and the most assists without overheating like crazy. Yeah I know Hawken isn't the same shee-it, but at least a Trial experience is forgiving where a Vet FPS player like myself can hop in and completely own people in their bought super Mechs.

And like you said, a Stock Mech game mode would be balanced somewhat with only Stock Mechs. I'm pretty sure MPBT 3025 did that or had that choice. They shot themselves in the foot by not giving a Stock Only option when they added Stock Mechs.

Edited by General Taskeen, 26 March 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#17 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 26 March 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Like giving a Trial Mech (in a stock form) added bonuses like a little better damage soak, giving the weapons better damage output, or heat dissappation or whatever. If that could be done without breaking the game, then cool, but I doubt it. At the bare minimum, heat is a main problem for a stock trial Mech, because PGI f'ed up with SHS and DHS. I've built stock record sheet Mechs in this game that used DHS from canon and they work absolutely fine, hence they f-ucked up by leaving SHS in the trash can.

"Hey, this is a really good mech! I think I'm going to buy it."

"Hey, why does this mech suck so much now? WTF, this game is stupid."

#18 Terminal Mehmet

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'm always glad to see something that gets old players excited about making something to help newer players along. This contest was a pretty good way to do it. I hope we see something like it again!

#19 n0e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

We need more events like this. I'm totally for a newbie friendly enviroment and a smooth transition from the trial mechs into your first owned mech.

I have no dragons but I will test the winner build for sure. Maybe I'll buy one *hint**hint*.

#20 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

View Postfil5000, on 26 March 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

You... you know the people that manage the community aren't the same people that code the game, right?

Nah pretty sure they are

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users