#1 Tice Daurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

UPDATED 4/24/2013

Ok gang...

Due to the HIGHLY popular topic in the general discussion regarding fans/users/players creating their own map art for submission, PGI has said that they are "considering" accepting fan submission for map content. However, they are still somewhat undecided at the moment. I want to create this thread specificially for this purpose.

Here is the discussion thread that we were talking about this:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2126101

This thread is created for fan art submission for MAP CONTENT ONLY and discussion of said ideas so people can discuss them!!!

Here is what we are looking for:

If you are creating MAPS for possible consideration, here are some of the ground rules we're going to start with:

1) Maps created must not have any 'questionable content'. Don't design fields that when seen from above they spell out swear words or no rocks that look like genitalia or body parts.
2) Maps created must not have 'illegal' or 'copywrited' content. Don't use 3D models of other stuff ripped from other games from the Crytek or other games that are using that content. ALL CONTENT MUST BE ORIGINAL CREATED CONTENT!!!
3) Any content submitted here will be considered 'Labor of Love' content. What this means is that if you create any content, do not expect any compensation for it other than in name only. That means it's yours in name only, but that you are submitting it to specifically show PGI that the users/fans/players can help create MAP CONTENT that is on the same quality if not better than PGI. We want the best quality you can provide.
4) Please note that PGI is discussing legal ramifications to determine if fans can submit content. At any time they can come here and announce either a GO or NO GO on this. Either way, anything submitted here is your fan content and because submitted here, PGI might or might not use your content you've submitted. This does not mean they will or won't, but I'm putting this out here so people understand that this is strictly a FAN CONTENT thread only to submit maps and map content for possible use for PGI.

My intentions are that IF we can show PGI that we can help create maps on the same level or better, they will set up a program that will allow fans to submit their own content, and possibly in the future provide us map software that will allow fans to create their own maps in the future.

Guys, this is not a place to post your complaints of grievences to PGI about stuff. Nor is this thread to be used to place anything other than map content for consideration and fans discussing ideas for map considered here. For example, if you have an idea to help a fan artist here create a map or suggestion, this is where it goes. This is not place to ask PGI or give PGI suggestions on THEIR MAPS that they are creating.

Again this place is strictly for fans to show off their map content.

Some ideas to help for submission:

- Pictures are nice
- Video is even nicer, like stuff from youtube of your map as you move across it to show the map itself, with different possible camera angle views of the map, and commentary from yourself or notes to describe the areas.

With this said, if asked from PGI, I will update the top post to ask for rule changes to the main post.

If at ANY TIME PGI decides to change their mind and take this over, I will be happy to close this thread down and let them take over.

And if possible, I would prefer if this could be pinned, please?

Thank you and we look forward to your submissions to see if we can show PGI that fans can create decent maps too!

Edited by Tice Daurus, 24 April 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#2 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for this!

I'm in! I think for this thread i propably should start a new map. The old one uses PGI Content.

I have something like a canyon-szene in my head with some caves on both sides, some "buildings" on the canyon-walls maybe one or two briges from one side to the other.

Should be a big map... think 3-4k meter lengh, 2k wide. On side (sightline) could be caped with ocean, the other with a sharp canyon-curve or a big waterfall. Bases could be in the caves.

#3 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostAllfex, on 28 March 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Thanks for this!

I'm in! I think for this thread i propably should start a new map. The old one uses PGI Content.

I have something like a canyon-szene in my head with some caves on both sides, some "buildings" on the canyon-walls maybe one or two briges from one side to the other.

Should be a big map... think 3-4k meter lengh, 2k wide. On side (sightline) could be caped with ocean, the other with a sharp canyon-curve or a big waterfall. Bases could be in the caves.

Allfex, if the old maps do use PGI content, I think they might overlook it because it's already owned by PGI. I'm not 100 percent on that, but I think they would allow it. What I'm talking about using 3D models from other games OUTSIDE of PGI's MECHWARRIOR; ONLINE. If it's from PGI and Mechwarrior: Online, it should be ok to use because we're going to be using it for the same game.

Anything outside of PGI's Mechwarrior: Online however is NOT good to use.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 28 March 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#4 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 28 March 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Allfex, if the old maps do use PGI content, I think they might overlook it because it's already owned by PGI. I'm 100 percent on that, but I think they would allow it. What I'm talking about using 3D models from other games OUTSIDE of PGI's MECHWARRIOR; ONLINE. If it's from PGI and Mechwarrior: Online, it should be ok to use because we're going to be using it for the same game.

Anything outside of PGI's Mechwarrior: Online however is NOT good to use.

Yep but the old map is allready in a state i have to test it before i can detail it further so i have decided to do a other one with own textures and content.

Think i have found my first reference for the heightmap. Will do a first rough terrainshape in cryengine, than export it do worldmaschine or sculptingsoftware.

http://fr.wallpapers...A9tats-Unis.jpg

Edit: Ok... cant open this link on my laptop so i think you cant too. Try this plz.

http://de.wikipedia....hoe_Bend_MC.jpg

Edited by Allfex, 28 March 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#5 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Oh you mean something like these?
Had done this few months ago in CryEngine 3.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostNacon, on 28 March 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Oh you mean something like these?
Had done this few months ago in CryEngine 3.

Hehe... jeep...something like this but there must be life :) Do you still working on this? Looks like it should only be for some vista-shots?

The last hour i have sculped a bit in the sdk and exported a very rough heightmap to worldmaschine for the first very lowquality terrainrender. The next steps are export/import/Tweak/export/import/Tweak and so on between 2 apps. Than finally i can make some highres-renders and put these to 3dcoat for further editing.

What do you think about the shape?

Posted Image

Edited by Allfex, 28 March 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostAllfex, on 28 March 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

What do you think about the shape?

Looks pretty good.

Do you have some general gameplay ideas about it? As with where the bases will be, which mountains can and can't be traversed by mechs, if all the parts have a meaning and people won't just ignore half of the map and how will you do non-obvious borders of the map... stuff like that.

#8 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Keep this sucker going. As for suggestions and specific comments however...
I imagine that the center ridge maybe problematic, as any quick mech with jump jets can really just hang out here, wait for the brawling to happen then go for cap. Could be interesting.
I don't know that the current incarnation has reasonable locations for all five cap points in conquest. A crater or a small base could help.
Also, a little more cover at the bend, such as some rocks, would be really nice.
And finally, this could be a very cool map for fast snipers, to rush the bend and snipe the enemy as they try to get there.

#9 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 March 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Looks pretty good.

Do you have some general gameplay ideas about it? As with where the bases will be, which mountains can and can't be traversed by mechs, if all the parts have a meaning and people won't just ignore half of the map and how will you do non-obvious borders of the map... stuff like that.

Yes... i have some ideas. You cant see it on the screen but this thing is huge in the engine. One thing i have in mind is, on both sides ,2 briges that connect the canyon-walls with the central part.

Than there are some opinions:

First it could be a city-type map with many buildings like rivercity aligned to a sort of balkony along the outher walls an a bigger building in the center part. Maybe a "dome" above the city.

Second there could be some caves, in the middle a big an in the walls some tube-type caves with some holes in different heights for shooting out for example.

You dont see it on the pic but the canyon height is round 400 meters. I will sculp the upper edges with hard slopes you cant walk over. on some areas i plan do something like overhangs.

But keep in mind... the screen shows not the final heightmap...have done these with my default korrosion and so on. After tweaking some values it become more sharper.

#10 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 March 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Looks pretty good.

Adridos does have a point. The map can look good on a 3D model, but it needs to have both form and functionality. It has to have areas where there there can be bases, not just for assault but also for other game modes like Conquest as well. While the map looks ok for Assault, the map might not be alright for Conquest as there would have to be multiple bases.

Another thing, the map might also need multiple routes of progression. This would mean you might need multiple routes. If you look for example at the Forest Map you have about 4 routes to go.

-water route
-main road route
-side road up toward upper build areas near HPG
-cave/arch route

This map doesn't look like it has multiple route. Of course I could be wrong.

#11 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 28 March 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

Keep this sucker going. As for suggestions and specific comments however...
I imagine that the center ridge maybe problematic, as any quick mech with jump jets can really just hang out here, wait for the brawling to happen then go for cap. Could be interesting.
I don't know that the current incarnation has reasonable locations for all five cap points in conquest. A crater or a small base could help.
Also, a little more cover at the bend, such as some rocks, would be really nice.
And finally, this could be a very cool map for fast snipers, to rush the bend and snipe the enemy as they try to get there.

Yep... :) I plan some holes for snipers in the outher walls, usual snipper are not so fast so they have to make a decision because you can only reach this "sniper-holes" trought a tunnelsystem .Scouts could use this holes for taging an so on.

Edit: I also have th routes i mind but this is a thing you cant show in that early stage since you cant make holes in the heightmap for tunnels and so on.
Maybe i have posted it to early... its only the omegashape that i'm looking for. And this is not a pic from cryengine.

Edited by Allfex, 28 March 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#12 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hmm, the other thing it really needs is a way to get back on the bridge if you fall off, or a reasonable way to get up into the middle. (You might have one.) More than one bridge would be nice.
I think it could be a blast and a half by the way.

View PostAllfex, on 28 March 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Yep...read my pots above :) I plan some holes for snipers in the outher walls, usual snipper are not so fast so they have to make a decision because you can only reach this "sniper-holes" .Scouts could use this caves for taging an so on.

Yeah, sorry, I was mixing up posters in my head. It looks like some good thought is going into this. I admit, it is currently beyond my abilities to make the maps, so I can only try to give feedback for now.

Edited by ZnSeventeen, 28 March 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#13 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 28 March 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Hmm, the other thing it really needs is a way to get back on the bridge if you fall off, or a reasonable way to get up into the middle. (You might have one.) More than one bridge would be nice.
I think it could be a blast and a half by the way.

Yeah, sorry, I was mixing up posters in my head. It looks like some good thought is going into this. I admit, it is currently beyond my abilities to make the maps, so I can only try to give feedback for now.

No problem... will do a simple overpaint tomorow... for bases, routes, briges and so on.

#14 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

If you don't mind spoiling the surprise, rope bridge, big metal bridge, you know, details.

#15 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Let's hope a few more guys hop in. Leaving the whole weight of the thread on one guy's shoulders wouldn't be ideal. Even if 3D modellers helping with assets for maps (not dropships, PGI kinda overuses those) like HPG stations, fancy gates, trains, or just simple props like rocks, electric cabels and other good things that add flavour to maps.

As far as that map goes, I have one more question.
Are you going to make it feel like an alien world or more of a terrestrial planet similar to Earth?

#16 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 28 March 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

If you don't mind spoiling the surprise, rope bridge, big metal bridge, you know, details.

If it's going to be a bridge to support mechs, at least make it a heavy reinforced bridge for reality sake. If we wanted to get technical, Heavy reinforced bridges can support one mech or mechs up to 90 tons. Anything over can't be used or else it would destroy the bridge. I've talked to the DEV's on this and I was told that they are not going to follow that TT rule, but at least make it somewhat realistic so that it can LOOK like it can support the heavy weight of more than one Assault mech.

View PostAdridos, on 28 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Let's hope a few more guys hop in. Leaving the whole weight of the thread on one guy's shoulders wouldn't be ideal. Even if 3D modellers helping with assets for maps (not dropships, PGI kinda overuses those) like HPG stations, fancy gates, trains, or just simple props like rocks, electric cabels and other good things that add flavour to maps.

Are you going to make it feel like an alien world or more of a terrestrial planet similar to Earth?

I hope we can get more guys in here. The word needs to spread that this thread exists so more people can come here and check this out and show their work off.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 28 March 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#17 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 28 March 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

Have something like this in mind:

http://jamescowlin.p...00003i5Rvx9O640

View PostAdridos, on 28 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Want to try both...will make 2 highres-textures for ech theme to get a feel for it ;)

#18 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Like where this is going....

I don't have any experience in map-making, but you all must- *must* -keep this going; if there's going to be a chance at providing brighter, vividly colored and unique maps, this is the place to start for the community.

#19 MacKoga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

The way I approach this kind of map making, is to start with pen and paper. Stay symbolic, and mark the intended critical points (bases, capture points, major junctions), and draw the paths inbetween. Using multiple colors can help indicate multiple logical map levels/heights, which would be a good thing for a desert map with some ravines and caves and the like, a main ground level, and some ridge levels.

Before jumping into modelling, reference images are good, but better is to do a little storyboarding. What's the scene, emotion, tactics that your favorite planned map features are supposed to bring out? Draw that.

Maping a sketch of the map's logitisitcal paths, and maybe some others highlighting defensive & vulnerable areas, lines of fire, etc., can really help set forth a balanced map and improve the odds that the community will find it as fun as you are hoping.

#20 Allfex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostMacKoga, on 28 March 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

The way I approach this kind of map making, is to start with pen and paper. Stay symbolic, and mark the intended critical points (bases, capture points, major junctions), and draw the paths inbetween. Using multiple colors can help indicate multiple logical map levels/heights, which would be a good thing for a desert map with some ravines and caves and the like, a main ground level, and some ridge levels.

Before jumping into modelling, reference images are good, but better is to do a little storyboarding. What's the scene, emotion, tactics that your favorite planned map features are supposed to bring out? Draw that.

Maping a sketch of the map's logitisitcal paths, and maybe some others highlighting defensive & vulnerable areas, lines of fire, etc., can really help set forth a balanced map and improve the odds that the community will find it as fun as you are hoping.

100% right but since i'm not a good painter i prefer a different technic. For me its easyer to make a very fast heightmap and paint on top of it. On this way i have allready some color/shadow information and deph to work with. I prefer doing it in sculptingsoftware so i can allways make a fast export an jump ingame.

But i hope we get some very skilled painter to this thread. There are much of them in this forum allready :o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users