Do You Like Purple?

62 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you feel about House Marik's official color: purple? (200 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you okay with purple being House Marik's official color?

1. I'm fine with it (or even like it). (157 votes [78.50%])

Percentage of vote: 78.50%

2. I don't like it / I wish it were another color. (17 votes [8.50%])

Percentage of vote: 8.50%

3. I'm indifferent - it could've been black or pink for all I care. (26 votes [13.00%])

Percentage of vote: 13.00%

If you are apart of House Marik, would you paint any of your mechs purple?

1. Yes - I intend on it or I already do. (131 votes [65.50%])

Percentage of vote: 65.50%

2. No - I paint all my mechs other colors. (33 votes [16.50%])

Percentage of vote: 16.50%

3. I'm not in House Marik. (36 votes [18.00%])

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Well. It makes it easy to find Marik(ians) in the match.

And otherwise I could care less. It is a color for an imaginary faction. If I was gonna care that much about a fake faction it'd be politically or what Mechs they had or something.

#42 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Nothing wrong with a little nod to imaginary factions. A little rp in the form of camo patterns with your unit or to be recognized on the field is a good thing.

#43 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 20 January 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Regulans and Atreans are only loosely alligned with House Marik anyway and break away in the near future (well the Atreans are brought back by force).

You are mixing up Atreans and Anduriens here.

Atrean Hussars and Atrean Dragoons are named after the capital planet, Atreus. They are federal troops reknown for their fanatical loyality to the Captain-General.

Andurien is that rebellious little province rimward (south) at the capellan border, that started a war against the CapCon on its own and tried to secceede from the League in 3030-3040. Its military consisted of the Defenders of Andurien and after it was forced back into the fold most of its personell was pardoned and formed the core of the first Free Worlds Legion regiments.

You are right about us Regulans though. Since 2998 we stopped fully supporting the Marik family (not the League) and acted as the voice of those concerned about the centralisation of authority. But we stayed the "loyal opposition" way beyond 3050. It wasn´t until the Jihad (3067-3085) that we openly defied the C-G. Or rather the man that had claimed to be our C-G.

But that is another story.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 20 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#44 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

I'm more of a Cobalt guy, but I do use purple somewhat.

#45 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I had to get peach because it was the closest to pink back in the beta days. I needed pink for my Troll Camoflauge. Silver, white and pink PPC Gauss shooting your glass doors off.

Purple's fine. All colors are fine. Any color except all drab green.

#46 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

I really wish I hit this thread sooner.

Interesting history with the color "purple" and why its considered "Marik's" colors.

What many people don't realize is that purple being a feminine thing is more of a modern era association then a historical one.

Battletech was built around the idea of 1/3rd mecha technology, 1/3rd mad max scavenger tech (at least pre-clan war fiction.) and 1/3rd "space royalty"

That 3rd one is where this gets important because purple historically has been the color associated with royalty and Piety. Many old master paintings have royal's of both sexes robed in purple garments:

Posted ImagePosted Image

And since I can't link the images:

http://www.rubylane....ortrait-ceramic

Even one of the British queen's once forbade commoners from wearing purple and announced it as a "royal" color.

Marik is purple because of this history. Its rooted in the classically rooted idea of Purple being the color of royalty. Something that a society that for all intensive purposes is "feudalism in space" seems appropriate.

#47 Tahuti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Start wearing purple!

#48 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostTahuti, on 21 January 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Start wearing purple!

Perfect. Just perfect.

#49 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

On the subject of "purple" (which I think is getting way more focus and attention than needed), let me point out that a grand total of 4 brigades in the FWL Military, the Free Worlds Legions, the Free Worlds Guards, the Marik Militia, and the Protectorate Guard, use purple in any way/shape or form in their parade paint schemes. All the rest use other color schemes with no purple.

In other words you can be a fan of the FWL and not care about the purple. I'm more of fan of the Orloff Grenadiers and the Atrean Dragoons myself, neither of which use purple in their parade paint scheme.

#50 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

What you guys talking about. Marik is pimping because of it being purple. The Third Street Saints approve of House Marik.

#51 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Richard Simmons does! And he wants as many able bodied men to join him in House Marik as possible!
Posted Image

Edited by Hexenhammer, 22 January 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#52 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 20 January 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

You are mixing up Atreans and Anduriens here.

Atrean Hussars and Atrean Dragoons are named after the capital planet, Atreus. They are federal troops reknown for their fanatical loyality to the Captain-General.

Andurien is that rebellious little province rimward (south) at the capellan border, that starteud a war against the CapCon on its own and tried to secceede from the League in 3030-3040. Its military consisted of the Defenders of Andurien and after it was forced back into the fold most of its personell was pardoned and formed the core of the first Free Worlds Legion regiments.

You are right about us Regulans though. Since 2998 we stopped fully supporting the Marik family (not the League) and acted as the voice of those concerned about the centralisation of authority. But we stayed the "loyal opposition" way beyond 3050. It wasn´t until the Jihad (3067-3085) that we openly defied the C-G. Or rather the man that had claimed to be our C-G.

But that is another story.

You're right, I was tired when I posted. I do believe that some Atrean units joined Anton Marik's revolt, though.

Edited by Ed Steele, 22 January 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#53 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yes, the 12th Atrean Dragoons. Like some other units that had served under Anton Marik for years at the capellan front.

That his brother, the C-G was hardly ruling and becoming more and more reclusive due to personal tragedy certainly didn´t help. At one point he was only communicating through written messages from his chambers. I have no direct quote for you, but it seems conceivable that the 12th may have considered the Captain-General as not fullfiling his office and demanded his retirement because of that.

#54 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

View PostJulian Langsdorf III, on 22 January 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

On the subject of "purple" (which I think is getting way more focus and attention than needed), let me point out that a grand total of 4 brigades in the FWL Military, the Free Worlds Legions, the Free Worlds Guards, the Marik Militia, and the Protectorate Guard, use purple in any way/shape or form in their parade paint schemes. All the rest use other color schemes with no purple.

In other words you can be a fan of the FWL and not care about the purple. I'm more of fan of the Orloff Grenadiers and the Atrean Dragoons myself, neither of which use purple in their parade paint scheme.

But some of us like that color on our mechs!

*points down at Sig*

#55 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

I don't really mind the purple either. To be honest sometimes I feel like its the only excuse I have in life to put purple on something I use in gaming without some other meaning being attached to the presence of that color. It makes it very unique. And paired up with certain colors it offers a very distinctive look that will not be confused with regiments belonging to some other faction. The white and purple Free Worlds Guard paint scheme looks awesome in the MWO mechbay. I wish the Atrean Dragoons colors were more distinctive, "a gray base with green trim and some green paneling" can easily be confused with numerous other canon paint schemes in the Battletech universe.

By comparison, in a match in MWO, when I see a mech with purple on it, I automatically think, "Oh....there's a FWL fan....cool." That's powerful brand recognition right there.

I was just trying to point out the limitations of the argument "to be FWLer you must love purple". Not true.

Btw, Spiralface's argument about purple being a historically "royal" color, very very true and valid here. Battletech's writers have long looked to real world history for inspiration. It actually reminds me of something. I was a big fan of the TV show "The Tudors" which depicted the life of King Henry VIII. There is an episode where Anne Bolen (the King's mistress and eventually his new wife) walks into court wearing purple. The Royal Court was practically gasping for breath in their shock, it was a literal insult to the existing Queen that Henry was trying to divorce so he could marry Anne instead.

Edited by Julian Langsdorf III, 23 January 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#56 Parduke

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 84 posts
  • LocationIredell, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

not in Marik (silly dirty birds) but most of my mechs have purple... why??!! 'cause purple

#57 FERAL TIGER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'm gonna throw this out there:

My high school colors were teal and purple. For obvious reasons, we avoided making any shirts or uniforms teal, except for freshman jerseys. Every once in a while, a team would dawn all purple outfits. The football team once came out in purple socks, pants, jerseys and helmets to a gasping crowd. Just as silence fell over the stadium, you heard a semi-sober father say "My boys a grape!"

Purple can be a great color, but too much of it is a terrible... terrible thing! Black highlights go a long way.

#58 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostFERAL TIGER, on 25 January 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

I'm gonna throw this out there:

My high school colors were teal and purple. For obvious reasons, we avoided making any shirts or uniforms teal, except for freshman jerseys. Every once in a while, a team would dawn all purple outfits. The football team once came out in purple socks, pants, jerseys and helmets to a gasping crowd. Just as silence fell over the stadium, you heard a semi-sober father say "My boys a grape!"

Purple can be a great color, but too much of it is a terrible... terrible thing! Black highlights go a long way.

Purple, black, gold.

Purple, black, red.

Dark colors seem to compliment the Marik hue of purple.

#59 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

Heck, in my state, the big college football colors are purple and gold.

Posted Image

Not to mention that mardi gras colors are purple green and gold. Because those colors still have meaning to the festivities.

Green for faith, Gold for Power / Wealth, and Purple for Justice / Royalty.

As I said in my previous post. Purple has a long history of being a Royal color. The entire "feminine" color thing is entirely a product of the 20th century.

#60 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostSpiralFace, on 28 January 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

Heck, in my state, the big college football colors are purple and gold.

Posted Image

Not to mention that mardi gras colors are purple green and gold. Because those colors still have meaning to the festivities.

Green for faith, Gold for Power / Wealth, and Purple for Justice / Royalty.

As I said in my previous post. Purple has a long history of being a Royal color. The entire "feminine" color thing is entirely a product of the 20th century.

Just like how Light Blue was actually a "Female" color, while Pink was "Male" awhile back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users