Why The Size Of Weapons Should Be Limited

3 replies to this topic

#1 Smoke Dancer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

I was playing a game the other day when I saw a hunchback H rocking an AC20. Of course there is nothing wrong with this as things stand but why on earth would you ever pay for a G when you could have a H and more guns? I also saw trubuchets with 2 srm6 packs instead of the lrm 15 and I got thinking why would anyone pay to get different mechs if they are all going to be tyhe same anyway?

I know my suggestion isn't going to be everyones cup of tea but i propose a cap on the changes that can be done to a mech. More speciffically I believe that a weapon should be only able to be changed for a weapon 1 size class up or down from the size of weapon that the stock mech comes with. I also propose that lrm 10s can be converted to srm6s as they were designed to be interchangeable in TT cannon.

This proposal would mean:

1. Mechs specifically designed around large weapons would remain uniquely different to those mechs designed around multiple smaller weapons.

2. big guns would be more common on big mechs

3. more scope for uniquely different C-bill hero mechs

4. greater variety of weapon fits faced by players and therefore more interesting games.

5. Better role warfare - support mechs would have to support while short range assault style mechs would have to assault to be effective.

I understand that the idea of further mech restrictions may upset people who have a favourite mech design that is outside of these restrictions like the 2 ac20 weilding jaegermech or the gaussapult but I'm pretty certain those people who can use those mechs effectively will still rack up the kills regardless of the weapons they are using.

in terms of weapon sizes for ballistics it would be

1. machinegun (actually it is a 20mm cannon but hay...)
2. AC2
3. AC5/UAC5
4. AC10/LBXAC10
5. AC20
6.Gauss rifle

This order is based on size of weapon and weight as well as the fact that the Gauss is typically used as a tier 2 upgrade of the AC20. You want to use a gauss? Use a hunchback G or highlander or the yen lo wang... You get the picture.

for energy weapons this would be:

1. Small laser/small pulse laser
2. medium laser/medium pulse laser
3. Large laser/ER large laser/large pulse laser
4. PPC/ER PPC

Srms and lrms are as follows

1. Srm2/Lrm5/Streak 2
2. Srm4/streak 4
3. Srm6/lrm10
4. Lrm/15
5. Lrm/20

This means that mechs designed with large missile pack such as the atlas, catapult and trebuchet would be the only mechs capable of packing large packs

also mechs should be restricted to 1 missle pod per slot. so a catapult with 2 lrm 20s should be only able to mount 2 lrm 20s or be able to chage the missle pod so that it has upto 5 slots of missile space occupied e.g.

LRM20 = 5 missile spaces
SRM 6 (3 slots) + SRM 4 (2 slots) = 5 slots
Streak 2 (1slot) + streak 2 (1 slot) + LRM 10 (3 slots)

(note: that 1 LRM20 is more space efficient than 2 LRM10s - a deliberate perk for those mechs designed to use the big packs).

This means that mechs designed around big missile packs can pack a lot of missiles while those that don't simply can't.

All lrms and srms should have the same recycle time.

I am also aware of the issues that streak boating can create for game balance purposes but this can be corrected by reducing the recycle time to take into account the benefit of the guaranteed hit ( between 6 and 7 seconds would be my guess) and by spreading the damage across mutiple hit zones as is currently the case.

LRMS need a speed boost to make them useful - 200-250m/s would be my guess at this point.

And remember variety is the spice of life.

#2 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostSmoke Dancer, on 03 April 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

I was playing a game the other day when I saw a hunchback H rocking an AC20.

Um why would it be bad if the H could mount an AC20?

HBK-4G Stock loadout
HBK-4H stock loadout

What is wrong with putting a weapon in a slot where it should theoretically be able to fit in the first place anyways (transfer from one balistic mech to another?

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 03 April 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

Um why would it be bad if the H could mount an AC20?

HBK-4G Stock loadout
HBK-4H stock loadout

What is wrong with putting a weapon in a slot where it should theoretically be able to fit in the first place anyways (transfer from one balistic mech to another?

But while you can do that ...for what reason is the G in existence? For mounting tripple AC 2 or dual AC 5?
I think it need some limitations to keep the flavour of the Hunchback and his Swayback bretheren allive.

#4 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 03 April 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

But while you can do that ...for what reason is the G in existence? For mounting tripple AC 2 or dual AC 5?
I think it need some limitations to keep the flavour of the Hunchback and his Swayback bretheren allive.

Just this, the stock G comes with an AC20, but has the possibility of mounting 2 or 3 smaller balistics. This is impossible with the H. With the H however, you are able to mount more energy weapons that you can fit into the G. Theoretically you can build an H Hunchback with 4 PPCs and a Balistic weapon whcih is utterly impossible with the G.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users