#41 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostGrei, on 07 November 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

I do take exception to the fact that the Atlas seems to have lost it's dish though. That's almost as much a fundamental part of the look at the SRMs on the hip.

Grei

Heh, some of us Battletech players remember when the SRM was in the chest and the hip launcher was a 5-tube LRM20. Hell it still is in the plastic box set mini. but yeah, where the hell is the DISH?

#42 shadowfox

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

cool dose not stop high velocity H.E.A.T shell just remember that lol cant wait till tomorrow :)

#43 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Excellent ! Thanks guys looking forward to Wednesdays!

#44 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks very much for the roadmap on information B.E. Much appreciated and I can plan my forum watching around it.

As for the designs if I see my beloved Atlas with a Happy Face there will be hell to pay :)

Also while I don't mind seeing clean designs faithful the original artwork (which was a huge draw for me in the past) I would love the idea of having battle damage show over time. I loved the dark, dusty and dented look rather than the 'just out of the box' for realism purposes.

Edited by Dozer, 07 November 2011 - 08:52 PM.

#45 FuMA

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

Can't wait, been playing mechs (Battletech) since the Commadore 64.

#46 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

I have no worries about Alex Iglecias / FD's talents. I have seen him work miracles in the past. This guy made Jagermechs look like a force to be reckoned with.

Not sure what he'd have to fear about doing a Timberwolf, as he's done them several times before.

I'm more concerned about the game features itself. There are a lot of people that have been arguing to make this game even MORE detatched from the Battletech universe and system than before. The thought of that makes me even more nervous, but there are equally as many of us (Many of us coming from a background of playing the older Mechwarrior 2 and 3 series, as well as the [amazing] tabletop game) rooting to bring the Mechwarrior series back to it's roots, getting rid of many exploits in the system like Coolant Flushes, Weapons with perfect accuracy, and Jump-sniping; as well as putting limitations into the game so that rather than dumbing down customization like Mechwarrior 4 did, we give full Battletech-style customization, but include strong incentives to keep your 'mechs in their stock configurations, and make customization risky in order to deter people from min-maxing and upsetting the balance of the game.

Iglecias is an amazing artist, and I've been following his work ever since he started drawing Atlases stomping people dressed as bipedal pseudo-animals. and Maulers craving Arby's after a hard days' work; His skill in illustrating Battletech 'mechs is unsurpassed by anyone I've ever seen. However, the graphics will eventually be considered second rate, the artwork - dated, and when the chips are down, if the game doesn't fall into the Pay-to-win trap, the only way it will continue to survive is to maintain a loyal fanbase. I'll tell you now, Battletech fans are some of the most loyal fans out there, many of us having stuck around since the mid 90s to as far back as the universe's conception in 1984.

The Mechwarrior series has been badly mistreated and milked like the proverbial cash cow that it was by Microsoft, turning it's video game representations into empty husks of it's former self. I can only hope that Piranha will be taking great big steps to reverse the damage.

Hawken's hitting the market soon with another western-robot First Person game that takes place in an urban environment - Mechwarrior Online would probably do better as the thinking-mans' giant robot game with plenty of flavor, while we leave Hawken to be the pretty shoot'em up where you can turn your brain off, earn achievements, and just climb the rankings ladder with your twitch-click trigger finger.

Edited by ice trey, 07 November 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#47 Oreic

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

I think its great that Flying Debris is doing art for this game. I just hope that the Highlander in the final game looks something like his Design. Also Punakettu has some great models of mechs, not really reboots like what Flying Depris does but epic none the less.

Edited by Oreic, 07 November 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#48 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

View PostOreic, on 07 November 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

I just hope that the Highlander in the final game looks something like his Design.

The Highlander would make a great DLC 'mech. In fact, all Star League designs would make great DLC. They're rare, but not a game breaking advantage. However, I'd like to see them keep to using the downgraded 3025 versions of the SL Era 'mechs until the clans arrive and all the other 'mechs start getting 3050 upgraded versions.

#49 BAZZ BASHEM

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSydney.Australia.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

I'd like to see a the Black Knight get a redesign,it would look impressive and more like a Star League command or heavy scout battle mech,inline with it's canonised description.

#50 gati

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

View PostGalaxy613, on 07 November 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Why again do ALL mechs need to be rebooted? :|

I sorta see why they redid the Jenner, but why the Hunchback? And the Atlas?

Not saying they don't look GOOD, they just aren't like ALL THE OTHER FRIGGIN' Battletech & Mechwarrior material out there!

I miss the skull-faced Atlas

#51 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hey: Someone gets how FUBAR the Stalker's art is. :)

I'd have kit-bashed the dumb led by now, if only there was anything else "in print" in the same scale; Both the UnSeen Behemoth, and the Dashi/ Masakari undercarriage seemed close, but not nearly close enough.

Yeah: That needs Doin' …

#52 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

Alex Iglesias,
I am happy that someone talented reworks the Mechs!
You captured the sense and mood of this hulking tanks like no other.
Don't worry about the Timber, let it walk backwards if you must -
its a silly clan Mech, anyway! :)
But never ever mess up my Thor :D

Bryan,
Danke for letting us look over your shoulders.
Great to see you let us stand beside you, right from the start.
Time till next summer will be exciting!

#53 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

Wow sounds good. Looking forward to this.

#54 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:35 AM

I say redesign them all and don't be afraid.
I'd rather have a game with solid and consistant style, one that looks good, than one that holds the old designs in absolute reguard. It should have its own look and style. Stands to reason that any given mech isn't going to look crazy different anyway.
That and people always prefer one mech over another, no one is going to be a fan of all of them.
I look forward to the Wednesday updates and further design updates; if the rest of the mechs are as cool as the few that've been released we have nothing to worry about, I think.

#55 Steadfast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 767 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:51 AM

The only remodeling I need to see of a stinkin' clanmech is its destroyed hulk. Please add a good helpin' of steam, debris and smoke.
Just so that you know what I do think about those "superior" warriors ...

:) just kiddin, great news, take care all!

~S~
Daniel

#56 Gorthaur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

i loooove the idea of redesigning some of the more awkward looking mechs. there are a bunch of mechs that i like the load outs but cannot stand how they look, mostly a lot of the weird looking IS designs.

your work is beautiful flyingdebris, i cannot express how much i love your redesign of the atlas. it is so much more gritty and real than any atlas rendition i have seen. people will say what they will, but i like that the cockpit looks less like the goofy skull we see so often.

#57 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

Great redsigns so far! Awesome work, keep it up!

WE WANT MOAR!

#58 Hellgardia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLoures, Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

I'm really hoping for a Black Knight redesign ^^

#59 Lori Black Widow Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

Impatiently looking forward to seeing Dev Blog #1

#60 Ikoyim Odei

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBehind you. With a Highlander.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:50 AM

Definately good to see a roadmap!

And the devs won't be having to run from pitchfork-wielding mobs if they mess up the Timberwolf. I can't say anything about having to dodge a hail of missile, autocannon and laserfire, however :)

Wtb more concept-art of mechs, and renders :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users