36 replies to this topic

#21 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

thanks for the input. thinking on it, i think i may have a faulty motherboard because i cant run this game on normal settings without it acting like a slideshow for the debilitated or, in the case of caustic valley, suffer a crash. Hell i cant even run Kerbal Space Program without a frame-rate dip during the launch phases. Then again, I have a big enough budget to get a new motherboard to boot (been thinking of the SabreTooth line of motherboards)

notice: I'm 90% tech illiterate so forgive me......

Edited by Magic Murder Bag, 17 June 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#22 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostMagic Murder Bag, on 17 June 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

thanks for the input. thinking on it, i think i may have a faulty motherboard because i cant run this game on normal settings without it acting like a slideshow for the debilitated or, in the case of caustic valley, suffer a crash. Hell i cant even run Kerbal Space Program without a frame-rate dip during the launch phases. Then again, I have a big enough budget to get a new motherboard to boot (been thinking of the SabreTooth line of motherboards)

notice: I'm 90% tech illiterate so forgive me......

It's quite alright, if I may ask, what are you running as a power supply? Brand/wattage?

#23 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 17 June 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

It's quite alright, if I may ask, what are you running as a power supply? Brand/wattage?

the brand of power supply is corsair (forgot the model type though) and the watt output is standard 500...

#24 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hmm... have you done a stability check on your CPU / gPU/ RAM?

#25 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 17 June 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Hmm... have you done a stability check on your CPU / gPU/ RAM?

Not that i'm aware of, how do you do a stability check [note i'll probably check back tomorrow so if I don't answer back that's why)

#26 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostMagic Murder Bag, on 17 June 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Not that i'm aware of, how do you do a stability check [note i'll probably check back tomorrow so if I don't answer back that's why)

Run Prime95 to check CPU stability.

furmark is a good GPU stability test.

Memtest is the basic standard for your RAM. Prime95 can also be used to check your RAM.

#27 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

do note that you need to install few instances of Prime 95 in order to stress test all the cores

#28 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

Decent combo on Newegg: AMD FX-8350 based

#29 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 04 August 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

just add GPU

lolz

#30 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostDragoon20005, on 04 August 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

just add GPU

lolz

The rest of the Guts are pretty decent all the same. A GPU for about $150 will keep it going for a few years. A gaming computer that will make you happy is usually in the $800-$1000 range any way if you shop well.

#31 Galorin

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Ok, so I am in the market for a new PC for playing MW:O, I am used to defining specs for servers and work desktops, then handing that off to multiple vendors to compete on price. Been years since the last time I built my own PC from the ground up, and came here to try to re-educate myself.

Anyhow, I noticed the guide itself hasn't been updated in a while. Any plans on revamping it with the current shiny stuff? Kinda curious where the low to mid range changeover is, what should be cherry-picked from the high end, as well as how well poor AMD is doing in these times.

#32 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostGalorin, on 18 September 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

Ok, so I am in the market for a new PC for playing MW:O,

review Vulpes' guide and check out Newegg, monoprice, tom's hardware. Look up already made gaming builds and price similar components at those places and any other place people suggest.

I am building a computer for a friend with an M5A97 ver2 ASUS mobo, 8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM, GTX560 fermi Ti SC, FX-6100 black edition (antec cooler added), 700W Antec PSU, 500 GB HDD, win 7 64-bit - $590 with a re-purposed case with 5 120mm fans. It will play at better than decent fps.

#33 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 04 August 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Pretty close to what I just built.
Bought everything through sales at the local microcenter for $600
Posted Image

AMD FX 8350 8 core 4.0 ghz cpu
MSI 970a-g46 mobo
Crucial Ballistix 8 gb ddr3 ram
EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2 gb
Kingwin 700w modular psu
Diablotek evo case
old ps3 2.5' 60gb hdd Posted Image (It was laying around free, I'll swap in something bigger eventually for the games but right now that ought to be plenty for the OS + MWO client + Hangar)
Running it through my 42' Bravia via the hdmi port
Posted Image
Ran it for a month with the stock amd cooler and just switched to a Cooler master hyper 212 evo (again on sale at mc) for another $30, so $630 minus about another $50 worth of rebates I havent mailed out yet. Its pretty badass and I'm extremely pleased with it. Planning to bump to 16 gigs of ram and an SSD when I can afford it and then maybe a flagship video card in a year or so.

#34 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Well I see everything got taken down. Though to be fair, the guides were needing reworking anyhow. Assuming I am able to motivate myself, expect a return of new guides in the near future. Until then, I apologize for this lapse in service.

#35 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Vulps,

In my absence, the site got hit by hackers and was both unaccessable and unrecoverable. I had to take it completely offline and wipe out the Sql background. It can be brought back online, but would need to have all of the articles reloaded.

Let me know what you'd like to do .

#36 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostBad Karma 308, on 13 February 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Vulps,

In my absence, the site got hit by hackers and was both unaccessable and unrecoverable. I had to take it completely offline and wipe out the Sql background. It can be brought back online, but would need to have all of the articles reloaded.

Let me know what you'd like to do .

Well, all the articles were in need of updating, so it's not too much of a big deal to me that they got taken down. However, if we were to do this, I would need people to volunteer to help out with the site who would actually help out at all. Otherwise, I'll probably just keep them here this time unless enough people support me going on my own, again.

#37 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

aww sorry hunny, if its any consolation customer suppoirt isnt very helpful here either anymore love you <3

Edited by Lightdragon, 18 February 2014 - 08:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users