Vulpes' Guides

36 replies to this topic

#1 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Due to the former incident causing my guides to be more or less lost, I and other members of this website have banded together to form a new hardware support website. All my guides that were formerly on this site are available there, and within the next week I will be creating a new Builds of the Week guide / thread and mirroring it between my private site and here. Those interested can follow the link here; http://www.kitsunesys.com

otherwise, if you are looking for a particular guide, please follow one of these links.
Hardware Mythbusters.
CPU Guide
GPU Guide
PSU Guide
Motherboard guide
Case Guide

And here are my recommendations for builds each week, available on both Kitsunesys and here;
http://www.kitsunesy...lds-of-the-week
http://mwomercs.com/...he-week-reborn/

Edited by Vulpesveritas, 13 April 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#2 F1yC4sual

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Wow, very in depth. Thanks Vulpes'. Your link is book marked and I look forward to some light heavy reading.
Cheers.

#3 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Welcome back Vulps :)

#4 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostBad Karma 308, on 11 April 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Welcome back Vulps :D

Good to be back.

#5 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Overall good guides ..now and then i detected a hint of bias ..leaning towards AMD over intel/Nvidia.. but only now and then and overall seemed well balanced.

GPU wise u might want to look at the 7870XT (Tahiti LE). Its as good as a 660ti in many casses and is priced very well at around $250.
You can also add in the GTX Titan to guides as its the current top single gpu card.

Also power requirment wise.. a 3930k can peak at around 300W when OC'd and at 100% usuage, though it normal sits around the 250w mark at full load, :) (personal experiance here with a 4.6ghz 1.36v offset OC)

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 12 April 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#6 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Glad to have these back, it wasn't like it was a good sign that these got nuked before. :) ;)

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 12 April 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Overall good guides ..now and then i detected a hint of bias ..leaning towards AMD over intel/Nvidia.. but only now and then and overall seemed well balanced.

Well, tbh, he does have a preference for AMD over Intel but for ethical reasons. On the other hand I've seen him be pretty fair about Intel products, though - it's not the products he has an issue with, it's the company itself. I tend to agree somewhat, I've felt that Intel was like a Jr division of Microsoft for 15 years now, personally. Do they make good chips? Aye, that cannot be denied, and in this regard they're different from MicroShaft. However some of their practices and tendencies are less than honorable.

GPU wise u might want to look at the 7870XT (Tahiti LE). Its as good as a 660ti in many casses and is priced very well at around $250.

Tahiti LEs are rare, but I plan to buy one as soon as I have money intersect with them being in stock. Current models using this chip are:

Sapphire 7870XT (only Tahiti LE with dual fans)
PowerColor 7870 Myst
Club 3D 7870 Poker Series Joker Card

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 12 April 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#7 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

You can also add in the GTX Titan to guides as its the current top single gpu card.

What you see is pretty much what was already available when they got wiped from this site. The crew is going to pour through them in the next few days and bring them up to date. We just got them reloaded and a few media items and things are still missing. We also have a few new articles that we'll be mirroring on both sites. One of them is a series of UK focused, priced and spec'd hardware evaluations written by DV McKenna that we think the European side of MWO will appreciate..

The other side of it is that Vulps and the gang are going to try and run a "weekly/monthly builds" thread(s) based on the parent articles that will fall off the MWO forum naturally.

If you guys have any suggestions or ideas for information you'd like to see let us know. Or if you think you would like to throw an article together, and the information within is legit, then we'd be glad to host it for you over on Kitsunesys.com so as to help feed the the knowledge base.

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 12 April 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#8 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

YAY! i was wondering where this thread went

#9 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

I have just been to the CPU guide. The links to newegg aren't working properly as they are the shortened version you get to see, when you posted them to the MWO forums. They are missing the middle part of the link.

Same for the GPU and Mainboard newegg links. Probably also for the rest of the guides.

#10 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostEgomane, on 17 April 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I have just been to the CPU guide. The links to newegg aren't working properly as they are the shortened version you get to see, when you posted them to the MWO forums. They are missing the middle part of the link.

Same for the GPU and Mainboard newegg links. Probably also for the rest of the guides.

They were working a few weeks ago. I'll go check them all and correct the issue.

#11 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

Just so you see what I mean
Spoiler

#12 Nihtgenga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Reads near to a perfect short-guide (the shorter, the better, 'cause you know, tl;dr-effect), however lacks a bit on system overall configuration (e.g. CPU limitation holding back a highend-GPU or vice versa) and a bit on cooling/ventilation.

#13 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostEgomane, on 18 April 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

Just so you see what I mean
Spoiler

I didn't even see this discussion. Those links *should* mostly be fixed now. Vulps and I went through and corrected them.

#14 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for fixing it. ;)

#15 Galorin

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

This may be unreasonable as I don't really know the current state of play with AMD's APU and such. Is it possible to add in a sub-500 USD build for us true cheapskates?

#16 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

$500 is about the minimum for MWO at this time for a build.

#17 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

I just built the 1000$ rig and it is working great. Even at highest settings I'm still getting 40 fps reliably. I play at medium mostly and am getting way over 60 fps all the time and nearly 100 sometimes.
Thank you truewolf (vulpes).

#18 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 15 June 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

I just built the 1000$ rig and it is working great. Even at highest settings I'm still getting 40 fps reliably. I play at medium mostly and am getting way over 60 fps all the time and nearly 100 sometimes.
Thank you truewolf (vulpes).

I'm a fox, not a wolf.

And no problem. I'm back and will be starting to update my BoTW again. I apologize to everyone for my absence.

#19 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

while looking into it, it turns out that there's a good chance my motherboard is too old to even run my other components properly.

my question is: which ASUS motherboard works better with my PNY GeForce 660 TI?

[primary components i have currently just for review]

-Intel i7 quad core Sandy-Bridge processor
-PNY GeForce 660 TI
-ASUS V PRO/GEN 3 Motherboard
-WD Caviar Black 1T HDD
-Samsung 128gig SSD card
-36 gig RAM 9 (18 gig cards X2)

Edited by Magic Murder Bag, 17 June 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#20 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Your motherboard appears to be fine. The motherboard you use shouldn't affect the performance of your GPU much, if at all, given the same CPU. Unless you have a faulty motherboard that is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users