Add A "low Quality" Version Of The Game For Download

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Add A "low Quality" Version Of The Game For Download (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support the OP's suggestion?

1. Yes (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. No (5 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. Abstain (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lumberjack
  • The Lumberjack
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

If they can spared***, I was wondering if would be possible for you guys at PGI to have one or two of your programmers work more of your awesome voodoo magic and create a version of the client that's friendlier to older, especially older non-gaming, computers.

Lower-poly models, smaller textures, possibly, if it's possible, even a less computer-intensive engine.

I understand that this would probably be a massive undertaking that would take time to implement if it is, but I'm hoping that you'll consider it.

I'd be happy playing a game that looked like it was from 2001 if it meant that my computer from 2011 could run it.

*** - I have to stress this part. If it was a choice between the community getting, say, CW and people like me getting this, I would prefer that PGI prioritize the community getting CW.

EDIT: slight addition

Edited by Terran123rd, 16 April 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#2 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

If only you could use MW4 to play MWO. My computer runs that flawlessly.

#3 Neolisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

You don't need a very powerful video card to run MWO. GTX 650 for a $100 works just fine.

Perhaps, anything less that you can grab on eBay for $50 would work too.

I ended up finally upgrading to a 660 - it's more pleasing to the eye.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

It won't get much friendlier than it is now. Every graphical addition they put in the game is making it more difficult for older computers.

And it's going to get worse. DirectX 11 support is coming, which will eat up more CPU and GPU cycles.

They've already got a considerable investment in development for CryEngine3. They're not going to re-engine the game.

Should have said something earlier -- I sold the gaming computer I assembled in 2011 (which ran MW:O fine on Very High settings) for $250 recently.

As long as you have a quad-core CPU in your existing computer, a graphics card is all you likely need. And you can get one that will play the current DirectX 9 version of the game fairly well for around $100. I wouldn't count on that card playing the DirectX 11 version of the game at the same level though. I wouldn't spend anything less than $200 on a gaming graphics card right now, just to be more future-proof.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostTerran123rd, on 16 April 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

If they can spared***, I was wondering if would be possible for you guys at PGI to have one or two of your programmers work more of your awesome voodoo magic and create a version of the client that's friendlier to older, especially older non-gaming, computers.

When you're playing some sort of modern action game, an Intel/non-dedicated graphics card is not a solution these days.

Lower-poly models, smaller textures, possibly, if it's possible, even a less computer-intensive engine.

You can't change engines... it simply doesn't work that way.

Edited by Deathlike, 16 April 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#6 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

The game is the game lower the res and detail to suit your needs 40+ fps should be the goal at minimum, i see lots of people seemingly running it on laptops...get a gaming laptop or build a pc 300-400.
I could probably ebay a system for 200.

#7 Hidran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

hopefully when this game is fully optimized, you may be able to run it with low graphics settings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users