The Kodiak

75 replies to this topic

#1 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

In another thread, I posted a teaser image of another model I'm planning to build. Right off it was Arnold J Rimmer that correctly guessed based just on the design of a boxy looking muzzle.

Getting some motivational encouragement from you fine folks, I've continued on. Here's the start of the Bear's Head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come...

#2 ChaosGrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 881 posts
  • LocationNew Eden

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Looks great so far ;) Only, i would make the ankle of the snout a bit steeper. Like the ankle of the cockpit roof :(

#3 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Ahhh a kodiak, man that will be one smexy beast.

#4 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Right! More work on the head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Explosive panel for ejection seat. Otherwise, regular access hatch.

#5 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I do NOT like the shape of the torso as modeled in the miniatures. And the TRO art doesn't give me much. Plus rather than ripping off David White's version for MW4 (it's a good design BTW), I've gone and spent quite a bit of time just getting a general shape of the Kodiak.

I still gave it the hunched shoulders, but cut them down a bit. Plus I got an idea for a forward thrust head that you'd see on an aggressive bear. A lot of images of actual kodiak bears have them standing tall with their heads forward. So that'll be the basis of my design.

Redesign? Eh, here're the pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a lovely day today, so I'm going to spend the rest of it outside. G'day, y'all!

Edited by HanaYuriko, 17 April 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#6 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

OK, so I'm a little stuck on the torso detail. Mostly because I'm not quite sure what scale I'm building this is currently at. I've been trying to keep my models to scale to each other so that means I need to get an approximate height of this 100 ton beast.

So... Legs.

I decided to blend the MW4 and Mini to make these. My imagination and design skills can go just so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a start. More work to do. Details, details, details... Also I have an idea to give it bare feet. Er...bear feet.

#7 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

It's an interesting switch to have the head in front of the torso, not on top.
Also, have you done a Dire Wolf?

#8 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostRotS Targe, on 18 April 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

It's an interesting switch to have the head in front of the torso, not on top.
Also, have you done a Dire Wolf?

I have, though I need to rebuild parts of it, and update the weapons with my newer models.

http://lady-die.devi...xtured-53690852

Posted Image

#9 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

More leg work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More later...

#10 EitherWay

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMech Bay 12345543211525354554535251

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Looking good, I logged in just to like your posts.

#11 Bushmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSomewhere within FRR territories

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

ahhhh, truly the pride of our great clan. Oh and very nice job so far!! Cant wait to see the twin ML4 arms/hands !!

#12 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

Mirrored the leg, put in what may or may not be a placeholder for the hip. And added it to the body as I have it now.

Turns out the model was just over 20 meters tall! So I scaled it down to 15m. That's about the same height as an Atlas. Now I have the proper scale to add the weapons and details.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After doing a little work, I realized that I did NOT like what appears to be a beer belly on this beast. It took a bit of vertex wrangling, cutting (it was welded on!) and redrawing the torso lines to restore the original shape. Then I got into an artistic groove and meshed in a bit of detail on the newly refurbished front.

Posted Image

#13 Cordel Ordo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 114 posts
  • LocationIn my Battlemaster's Cockpit

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Loving how this is progressing Hana, Can't wait to see more.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 20 April 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Mirrored the leg, put in what may or may not be a placeholder for the hip. And added it to the body as I have it now.

Turns out the model was just over 20 meters tall! So I scaled it down to 15m. That's about the same height as an Atlas. Now I have the proper scale to add the weapons and details.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After doing a little work, I realized that I did NOT like what appears to be a beer belly on this beast. It took a bit of vertex wrangling, cutting (it was welded on!) and redrawing the torso lines to restore the original shape. Then I got into an artistic groove and meshed in a bit of detail on the newly refurbished front.

Posted Image

Liking it a lot, but the Ct/head... not 100% sold on yet. Be curious to see it progress with more stuff added... but just.. feel it needs something in the ct to support it a little.....

*shrugs* what the heck am I talking about? Probably should go back to stomping highlanders.....

#15 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

I really like where it's going, but I sorta agree with Bishop: Could use a little something behind the head, like some sort of monolithic mount or big, buff hump ( like a KODIAK brown bear, or grizzly, eh :P ) attaching the head to the CT if you wanna go with the extended-forward head. Would really like to see a big armored 'hump' like a Grizzly's right behind that head, would really sell me on this design. Again, I like where it's headed, and can't wait to see more!

#16 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Wait no longer! For there be updates!

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Liking it a lot, but the Ct/head... not 100% sold on yet. Be curious to see it progress with more stuff added... but just.. feel it needs something in the ct to support it a little.....

*shrugs* what the heck am I talking about? Probably should go back to stomping highlanders.....

View Posttyrone dunkirk, on 21 April 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

I really like where it's going, but I sorta agree with Bishop: Could use a little something behind the head, like some sort of monolithic mount or big, buff hump ( like a KODIAK brown bear, or grizzly, eh :o ) attaching the head to the CT if you wanna go with the extended-forward head. Would really like to see a big armored 'hump' like a Grizzly's right behind that head, would really sell me on this design. Again, I like where it's headed, and can't wait to see more!

You can't see it from these angles but there is a 'neck' of sorts attaching the head to the torso. But that's a bit moot at this point. A friend of mine suggested that a forward thrust head would be an invitation to actually aim there. Makes it a big, easy target! Plus when I look at the model via profile, the whole thing looked off balance. So I pulled the head back into the body more. Then I went to work on the torso details.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The laser in the CT is another placeholder. Not sure if I want to change it or yet. The UAC20 is based on my UAC10 design I used on my Dire Wolf (which itself is based on theGAU-8a 30mm Avenger). I went with the rotary barrel design because I didn't like the huge, gaping hole that is supposed to be the UAC20. For one, the shells wouldn't fit into the torso at that size!

While the barrels may seem small in this image, each one is 180mm. Consider for a moment that the M1A2 Abrams mounts a 120mm main gun.

Edited by HanaYuriko, 21 April 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Totally agree with the UAC20 idea. The largest AC in canon is a 203mm, and the Demolisher tank uses dual 185mm i believe? So totally sensible, even if it points out just how out of whack some mech scales seem to be.

Really like the new redesigns, though I think maybe the snout might look a little more impressive if it was a little shorter? Regardless, looking good.

I'll call mine YOGI.

#18 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 18 April 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

I have, though I need to rebuild parts of it, and update the weapons with my newer models.

http://lady-die.devi...xtured-53690852

Posted Image

love it, even if it IS bird green!

#19 TheTeacher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

My only critique would be the head/snout...seems to stick out really far and gives the impression the mech would be front heavy. That and it looks like Brian Griffin from Family Guy...

#20 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

love the artwork

heres a video of it in action in MW4:Merc with Clan Mech Pak

always love the Kodiak when it jump jets, "PHWOROARARAR" like a bear

Edited by Dragoon20005, 21 April 2013 - 05:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users