ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 24 April 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

The arms do need to be moved up into the torso a bit more. But I'm not sure how I could make them any more robust and still be able to fit. I could scale down the forearm a bit to see if that helps with perspective.

I'd guess it might be the 'ears' I added. The position they they sit looks forward. Like a dog's ears when they're raised and listening to you. If the ears were somehow laid back against the head in a defensive position, then it might look more aggressive. The head being pulled back into the torso makes it seem a bit more relaxed as well. With the arms in place, I might try the forward position again. Maybe tilt the head downward a bit. Or both or...Something.

That's the part I started with without any concept of what the rest of the model would look like. I'd think that at this point, a complete redesign of the head may be in order if it doesn't fit the rest of the model.

I quite like it though.

Well, I'll be the first to admit, I tend to avoid "totem" Mechs, the WolfHound being the one exception I can recall making. I just figure if you go that route, the Kodiak Head should have more menace.

I guess to me, it looks a little too chill.... like Yogi is just groovin or something......
Posted Image
probably my favorite image, even if the exaggerations are pretty extremes. Even love how they set the angled grill "mouth" so it almost looks like saliva strands on a peeved and poppin gbear.

#42 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Well, I'll be the first to admit, I tend to avoid "totem" Mechs, the WolfHound being the one exception I can recall making. I just figure if you go that route, the Kodiak Head should have more menace.

I guess to me, it looks a little too chill.... like Yogi is just groovin or something......
Posted Image
probably my favorite image, even if the exaggerations are pretty extremes. Even love how they set the angled grill "mouth" so it almost looks like saliva strands on a peeved and poppin gbear.

Even love how they set the angled grill "mouth" so it almost looks like saliva strands...

You sir, have given me an idea. And with the rest of the suggestions posed in this thread, I believe I can make everything come together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still need to do a few minor tweaks. But yes. I think this is it.

#43 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

What the !!!!

This is an awesome rendition, I really like what you have done with the head.

Nicely done.

I almost wish you did not make such a high poly mesh, I think your Kodiak will look great as a paper model.

#44 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Holy ****, I called it? Yes!

As ever, your work thus far is excellent. I'd agree with previous comments re: the cockpit and shoulders not looking *quite* right, but I have no real constructive suggestions for you!

Looking forward to the finished product :)

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 24 April 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Even love how they set the angled grill "mouth" so it almost looks like saliva strands...

You sir, have given me an idea. And with the rest of the suggestions posed in this thread, I believe I can make everything come together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like it. I'd even "like" it, if for some reason I had not reached my quota of "likes" for the day, according to our Forum Lords.

#46 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice teddy bear....

but isn't the chest a little bit to tin?
Though that the Kodiak need a wider chest....could you imagine another layout for the missiles - place them in the shoulders?

#47 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 26 April 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Nice teddy bear....

but isn't the chest a little bit to tin?
Though that the Kodiak need a wider chest....could you imagine another layout for the missiles - place them in the shoulders?

I thought about placing the SSRM launchers higher. To avoid geometry errors I placed them lower. The software I use doesn't like it when I drill too many holes into a single face.

Also the chest area is more than 5 meters across. That's over 16 feet. The entire 'mech also stands at 14.7 meters. That's over 48 feet tall. I'd say the torso is large enough,

#48 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 26 April 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Also the chest area is more than 5 meters across. That's over 16 feet. The entire 'mech also stands at 14.7 meters. That's over 48 feet tall. I'd say the torso is large enough,

Yeah you are right 5m are more as enough...

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 26 April 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

I thought about placing the SSRM launchers higher. To avoid geometry errors I placed them lower. The software I use doesn't like it when I drill too many holes into a single face.

but but but... the original was like 10 meters wide........ :)

#50 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 April 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

but but but... the original was like 10 meters wide........ :)

LOL

Take the arms and shoulders into account and this is larger.

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

the Kodiak if PGI were to scale it (or what happens when a Kodiak mates with a MWO Centurion)
Posted Image

couldn't wait to slap an XL engine into that baby!

Anyhow... when I add the gross exaggeration of the original art in, and then look at yours, I think your proportioning are just a LITTLE more reasonable, and more likely to be the product of HomoSapiens Perfectus, than the goober art they attribute to the later Clan designs (which in no way fit the original spartan and utilitarian Omnis)

AKA, I would MUCH rather drive your version in game, while hunting up a pik-a-nik basket from Mr Ranger in game. For one thing, I think I would live a LOT longer. And I wouldn't get wedged in between every frikking building.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 26 April 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#52 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

If the Kodiak were in game we would definitely need melee combat with those claws.

I love the artistic interpretation OP, its a lot better than the older MW art of the arms always being up like in a roaring position. Its definitely a n example of some of the mech designs of form over function like the hatamoto CHi.

#53 Grotoiler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Posted Image

Really looks good!

I must admit though the arms / shoulders DO bother me slightly as well.... From my perspective I think it's the placement of the shoulder jounts for the arm - i.e. they seem to be a bit too low in relation to the head, as well as the bulk above the shoulders. In my mind i could picture it looking a little more imposing if the shoulder joints were in the position of the armored bulk above where they are now (having the shoulder joints coming out from where that two-plate armor segment above them is, if that makes sense).

I'm not cracking out my pitchfork though - you really are doing justice to all the mechs you've documented here so far, and I wouldn't expect you to make changes now; I know how much of a mission it is to get oneself motivated when scrapping a design and re-doing it...

Keep it up! :)

#54 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 April 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

the Kodiak if PGI were to scale it (or what happens when a Kodiak mates with a MWO Centurion)
Posted Image

couldn't wait to slap an XL engine into that baby!

Anyhow... when I add the gross exaggeration of the original art in, and then look at yours, I think your proportioning are just a LITTLE more reasonable, and more likely to be the product of HomoSapiens Perfectus, than the goober art they attribute to the later Clan designs (which in no way fit the original spartan and utilitarian Omnis)

AKA, I would MUCH rather drive your version in game, while hunting up a pik-a-nik basket from Mr Ranger in game. For one thing, I think I would live a LOT longer. And I wouldn't get wedged in between every frikking building.

There is just so much WRONG with that mod! LOL

When I do mechanical designs like 'mechs I try to think about what it'd be like to actually built it. If not a four-story tall hulking war machine, at least a plastic model kit. Imagine cutting off pieces from a sprue and getting a kit ready for assembly.

Thanks for the laugh though. I had to do a double-take when I scrolled down and saw the pinhead version!

View PostViper69, on 26 April 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

If the Kodiak were in game we would definitely need melee combat with those claws.

I love the artistic interpretation OP, its a lot better than the older MW art of the arms always being up like in a roaring position. Its definitely a n example of some of the mech designs of form over function like the hatamoto CHi.

OP was played by Ron Howard back in the days of B&W TV.

I agree, most renditions position the arms like it wants to hug something, or is a walking zombie. Yet the claws are purely cosmetic. I tried to create a version with usable claws in a designer, but the tonnage wouldn't work and maintain its weapon and equipment profile.

View PostGrotoiler, on 26 April 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Really looks good!

I must admit though the arms / shoulders DO bother me slightly as well.... From my perspective I think it's the placement of the shoulder jounts for the arm - i.e. they seem to be a bit too low in relation to the head, as well as the bulk above the shoulders. In my mind i could picture it looking a little more imposing if the shoulder joints were in the position of the armored bulk above where they are now (having the shoulder joints coming out from where that two-plate armor segment above them is, if that makes sense).

I'm not cracking out my pitchfork though - you really are doing justice to all the mechs you've documented here so far, and I wouldn't expect you to make changes now; I know how much of a mission it is to get oneself motivated when scrapping a design and re-doing it...

Keep it up! :)

Haha ! Yeah, the Kodiak arm placement was an odd duck even in the original design. Looking through the process, most of my design work was based on an actual bear rather than a stylized robot. So the proportions better match an actual kodiak or grizzly. That's one of the reasons the head is as big as it is when compared to the official design. Real bears have HUGE heads!

Also, I built the first cockpit/head model around a cockpit interior I built for my TWolf.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 26 April 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

There is just so much WRONG with that mod! LOL

When I do mechanical designs like 'mechs I try to think about what it'd be like to actually built it. If not a four-story tall hulking war machine, at least a plastic model kit. Imagine cutting off pieces from a sprue and getting a kit ready for assembly.

Thanks for the laugh though. I had to do a double-take when I scrolled down and saw the pinhead version!

OP was played by Ron Howard back in the days of B&W TV.

I agree, most renditions position the arms like it wants to hug something, or is a walking zombie. Yet the claws are purely cosmetic. I tried to create a version with usable claws in a designer, but the tonnage wouldn't work and maintain its weapon and equipment profile.

Haha ! Yeah, the Kodiak arm placement was an odd duck even in the original design. Looking through the process, most of my design work was based on an actual bear rather than a stylized robot. So the proportions better match an actual kodiak or grizzly. That's one of the reasons the head is as big as it is when compared to the official design. Real bears have HUGE heads!

Also, I built the first cockpit/head model around a cockpit interior I built for my TWolf.

HULK SMASH! Version, tyvm! ;)

#56 Cordel Ordo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 114 posts
  • LocationIn my Battlemaster's Cockpit

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 April 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

HULK SMASH! Version, tyvm! ;)

Now I'm just imagining that version bashing Hana's Hellbringer model into the ground. It's quite hilarious.

#57 TheGreatNoNo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

I can see it eating infantry and light mechs, literally. Awesome work.

#58 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 April 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

HULK SMASH! Version, tyvm! :P

Needs a pair of shredded purple shorts then.

View PostCordel Ordo, on 26 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Now I'm just imagining that version bashing Hana's Hellbringer model into the ground. It's quite hilarious.

LOL Yeah, I can see that, too!

View PostLost One, on 27 April 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

I can see it eating infantry and light mechs, literally. Awesome work.

There was a game calledGammarauders which featured giant monsters (like the Teleporturtle) which were armed with equally monstrous weapons. One of the things these main unit pieces could do was eat the infantry. So the ground troops were referred to as "Popcorn".

Alright, I am DONE! Model's constructed, parts tweaked, resized, and everything's textured. I based the paint scheme on Beta Galaxy pattern.

Beta Galaxy: Night Howlers

Clan Ghost Bear's Beta Galaxy usually paints its machines in arctic camouflage. For parade, a dark blue with white and slate gray trim is used. A pattern of white and slate gray resembling cracked ice encircles the waist and arms of 'Mechs, the body of vehicles, and the wings of aerospace fighters.

Now lets get to what y'all come here for. Pics!

http://lady-die.devi...odiak-368380685

Posted ImagePosted Image

Again, thanks for watching, everyone!

Edited by HanaYuriko, 28 April 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#59 Cordel Ordo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 114 posts
  • LocationIn my Battlemaster's Cockpit

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

The Camo really makes the design. Love it!

#60 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

*sigh....*

You have no one to blame for this, but yourself..... :P

HULK SMASH!!!!!!!
Posted Image