Fixing Poptarts: The Entertaining Approach

60 replies to this topic

#21 GT Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

so feel I need to add the the OP idea, which I love. If you hit a object when in the air wouldn't it move off course. Ie you go straight up and I hit you with a ac20 or srms (leave lasers out of it as they they don't have a impact so to speak, so ballistics and missiles only), shouldn't that push the mech to the side. And couldn't it also tip the mech, ie hit them in leg wouldn't that cause legs to swing out from under them causing them to go even more off course.

so I hit a mech with a ac20 in the upper torso causing mech lean back, the angle of JJ and the force of ac20 hit makes the mech move back. Now the mech ends up not over the hill it jumped from in alpine peaks, but instead is now past the edge of the ridge/clift and has a LONG way to fall. sure they may be able to build up some jj prepelent on the fall to slow the fall and not cause damage but now they are well and truley out of position. But then wait, adding OP idea, they also happened to shut down in mid air after a alpha and you hit them with the ac20. They are not having the HUGE drop and are powered down so no JJ to slow them down. I see BIG damage in this and MANY MANY laughs as video goes on youtube.

Add just the OP idea or my addition to it and it dose not make poptarts irrelevant in any stretch. but it would make many watch heat a lot better and would also make sure they are Situation aware. Ie jump, they get hit and move back and end up landing on that building behind them in the open. Incoming gauss and ppc shots.

Edited by GT Hawk, 18 April 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#22 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think this would be a hilarious and welcome additon.

#23 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

While there is nothing at all wrong with Pop Tarts, I would actually endorse 'mechs that shut down in mid jump landing in a far, far harsher manner.

Good pop tarts shouldn't be shutting down in mid jump anyway! I'm all for punishing that.

#24 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

An interesting idea, another such idea would be whenever a mech is legged while it is jumping when it lands should fall and have to get back up as well. I'd imagine we won't get this though until they have their physics syncing stuff fixed before mechs are allowed to fall down and get up again.

#25 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I`D go one further: For ex. a raven with JJs that fires an AC/20 should have the projectile come out at half damage +half range, with the mech flying about 100 yards backwards (or until it hits something solid)

Even better, implement misfires and reloading mistakes (ammo bnin loaded backwards). Lrmcat, critical reload error, lock on, jump, fire, fly backwards 200m with the missiles exploding in teh launcher at the end.

Rename the game Slapstick Robots Online :)

I would play that game. Seriously.

Edited by Zerberus, 18 April 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#26 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Ever wonder why your jump jet fuel refills? Its pressure/energy released by the build up of your engine. Opening vents on your mech releases this pressure/energy thus producing thrust. If anything "heat" should cause this build up faster and would have the opposite effect while jumping, more heat would mean more energy to use for jetting. You're releasing the heat with the rest of the energy out of your jets!!!

Edited by Sable, 18 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#27 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would minus many posts in this thread if I were able.

#28 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

It would be fun, but I suspect that players would figure out how to poptart without overheating. It's not that hard - not shooting your guns when it would overheat you is not such an advanced skill as some players seem to believe...

#29 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 April 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

It would be fun, but I suspect that players would figure out how to poptart without overheating. It's not that hard - not shooting your guns when it would overheat you is not such an advanced skill as some players seem to believe...

And that would be the intent. But being able to overheat in mid-air without consequence allows any poptart to get off one extra alpha - often more than enough to get the kill. I would like more intelligent, skill-based jumpsniping than what we have now.

#30 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

I like this idea...As a highlander pilot myself I love this idea really hehe.

I do jump snipe from time to time though my highlander is set up more to ....I guess you call it jump brawl I do have a gauss rifle so when we are just having a fire fight over range I do fly up pop a round off and dissapear behind some rock somewhere and I think this would be a great balance to jumpsniping. Though I would wait until Highlander Fever is over and people go back to their normal builds again before any balancing is done.

#31 GT Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostTuku, on 18 April 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Though I would wait until Highlander Fever is over and people go back to their normal builds again before any balancing is done.

the good part with the op idea and my addition is that its not a nerf/balancing. Its just adding to the game. Ie you overheat you just overheat. But hey one more addition, what if your mech has a fail safe for jumping when overheated. You are now in overheated state and jumping state, the mech remains online (auto override). But now the mech should take damage internally as well as any override with to much heat.

To me this is just adding to the functions of JJ in a fun and enjoyable way.

Edited by GT Hawk, 18 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#32 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 April 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

While there is nothing at all wrong with Pop Tarts, I would actually endorse 'mechs that shut down in mid jump landing in a far, far harsher manner.

Good pop tarts shouldn't be shutting down in mid jump anyway! I'm all for punishing that.

I don't have that much issue with them at the moment. But they are going to need to be fixed. When the clans come do you really want to see 100+ dmg poptart alphas? Heck using clan weapons the HGN-732 could be throwing 60dmg per jump out there.

To me 45 in a jump is pushing it. It can core most mechs in a couple of volleys and take the legs or 1 shot most lights. Now imagine that with 15 dmg ppcs.

I don't know how it should be done, but IMO anything over 50tons should probably not be jump sniping (reliably hitting targets over 300m or so) for the sake of balance going forward.

#33 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Once they reintroduce the collision / knockdown system back into play, landing while shut down should knock your mech on its *** and deal damage as if running into another mech of equal weight.

The work around? Don't overheat while poptarting. Shouldn't be THAT hard for a pilot with the skills of a trained baboon to pull off.

#34 GT Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 18 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

The work around? Don't overheat while poptarting. Shouldn't be THAT hard for a pilot with the skills of a trained baboon to pull off.

I don't know, have seen to many mechs overheat in front of me. Mind you I don't mind they overheated, it increased my k/d

#35 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostSable, on 18 April 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Ever wonder why your jump jet fuel refills? Its pressure/energy released by the build up of your engine. Opening vents on your mech releases this pressure/energy thus producing thrust. If anything "heat" should cause this build up faster and would have the opposite effect while jumping, more heat would mean more energy to use for jetting. You're releasing the heat with the rest of the energy out of your jets!!!

Try again.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jump_Jets

#36 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

This is officially the best idea in the history of the game. PGI needs to implement this *as soon as possible*! I'm sure I'd take a big hit to my KDR and elo from all the times I'd die because I'd fallen out of my chair laughing, but it'd *totally* be worth it. :)

#37 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

In search of a Canon reason to implement this? "Care must be taken when jumping, however, as... damage to a 'Mech's gyro or leg actuators and joints can cause a 'Mech to fumble upon landing." Having a 'mechs actuators and gyro powered down should have at least the same effect.

#38 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostZolaz, on 18 April 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

My Atlas brawler does fine ... you just need to be able to get close. You can either, let your own pop tarts distract their pop tarts. Sit back and wait for someone to engage them at close range and then blast em. The other way is to use cover and get in close. You want to get where you only have to fight one at a time. Pop tart vs Atlas is bad news for pop tart.

Its true, if an atlas brawler rounds the corner and I am in my highlander....

If I have 300 meters I can reliably take a torso off before it gets too ugly

If he is within 270 already when I see him? I am in BIG trouble.

#39 BlackSquirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 873 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Did kinda wonder why heat isn't generated for JJs.

#40 Flashback37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Personally I find the very idea of jumpjets to be ludicrous.
My uncle was an aerospace engineer (rocket scientist) at NASA for thirty years.
When I started playing TT Btech long ago, I told him about it. After he stopped laughing he gave me a long lecture about thrust to weight ratios and fuel requirements.
While fascinating, the lecture wasn't needed. I already knew the very idea was ********.

But it's part of the game so I live with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users