Custom Heavy Metal Kill Sounds?

32 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Heavy Metal(highlander) kill sounds (93 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this a feature you would be interested in?

1. yes (79 votes [84.95%])

Percentage of vote: 84.95%

2. no (14 votes [15.05%])

Percentage of vote: 15.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I think the HM's kill sounds are pretty good, but I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on being able to drag your own audio files into the game directory and have the game use those for HM kills instead of the default. Team Fortress 2 allows users to add their own custom audio files for hit sounds and I think a feature like that for the HM would be pretty cool.

This would not be a global sound that everyone else in the server could hear -- this would be a sound that would take priority over the default music locally, so only you would be able to hear it. Everyone would be able to do this regardless of ownership. If I run a HM, maybe I want to listen to "trololololo" and "BOOM HEADSHOT!" every time I get a kill, while I may prefer a klaxon siren if I'm not running one and just want to be alerted when one is nearby...the sky is the limit.

The upsides to having localized custom sounds is no one has to download the files while connecting to the server which may also mean no copyright issues to deal with, and it also means nobody can grief with it (you are listening to your own audio files). The downsides are that everyone's HM will be playing your choice of audio in-game and...well...you cant grief with it :).

#2 Roachburn

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

lol that is just silly. Me personally I don't like that kind of thing because I prefer more realism but that's not to say its not a good idea because I am sure alot of people would use that feature. I think there should be an option to turn the sounds off for realism though.

#3 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostRoachburn, on 18 April 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

lol that is just silly. Me personally I don't like that kind of thing because I prefer more realism but that's not to say its not a good idea because I am sure alot of people would use that feature. I think there should be an option to turn the sounds off for realism though.

I don't understand how disabling the sound adds "realism" to the game (not that I'm against disabling it). This wasn't something PGI pulled out of thin air -- there is actually a highlander in the lore that has external speakers, so having music blasted out of them would probably be more realistic than not...at least as far as Battletech goes.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rhonda_Snord

Rhonda Snord piloted a Highlander battlemech for most of her career, and was known to play Elvis Presley music over its external speakers. Earlier in her career, she piloted a Shadow Hawk.

#4 Praslek2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

This is a cosmetic feature, and I'd be totally okay with some sort of MC cost for it. I suspect people would be willing to pay for it much like colours.

#5 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

My immediate reaction was "what makes you think this won't result in 100% of users picking Full Metal Jacket quotes and horrifically profane gangster rap" but I see you thought of that. :V

This is one of those things that'd be really, really easy to support just by having the sound file stored separately from the giant pack of sound effects, and encoded in some commonplace format. Honestly, I think most games would be improved by making it possible for users to override at least some portion of the game assets. You wouldn't want to allow this for mech models, textures, or sounds as people could use this to cheat but it'd be harmless (and awesome) to be able to customize parts of the cockpit that don't compete with the microtransactions. If I were PGI I'd then watch whatever mod sites sprang up and use the "top 10 most downloaded" list to come up with lucrative ideas for additions to the MC store.

#6 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

So long as it's client side? Yeah, sure.

#7 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostFrostCollar, on 21 April 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

So long as it's client side? Yeah, sure.

Do you mean as long as it's limited to your own client? I'd agree to that, or after approval of the devs for MC (custom decals have the same issues).

#8 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Well, the idea was just for it to be client side. That would probably get rid of any copyright issues (downloading content when connecting to the server) and it would prevent griefing (having to listen to other people's terrible sounds). I was also proposing this as more of a modding type feature than something we would be charged for. Like I mentioned in my original post, TF2 has a similar feature and it's pretty straight forward -- you just drag the .wav file to the proper folder and that file takes priority over the default file.

I see an up and a down side to PGI turning this into an MC feature. They could probably find a way to blend the best of both worlds, but there is currently only one mech using external speakers and it might not be worth the time and effort. The up side to this being a MC feature is that the sounds could be made global; the downside is the sounds would probably have to be made by PGI, and as a result, the audio selection would be quite small compared to what users could make.

Edited by skullman86, 21 April 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#9 Knizia

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

I like the idea of customizing my sounds, but I'd like it to be a differentiating element to my mech that is noticed by others. I'd like to see small clips of different genres in the "Configure Upgrades" section of the loadout. For instance, under "Armor," "Structure," "Heat Sinks," and "Artemis" you could have a "Sound" section. I can see a selection of Disco, Country, Heavy Metal (default), Blues, Surf Rock, Barbershop Quartet, Jazz, Hip Hop, Ska, Gospel, etc... Each genre has it's own predefined short clip in that style. It could require MC, or CB, but obviously not take up slots or weight.

#10 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

oh yeah I wanna rock godzila

Boom boom boom another one bites the dust!....lol

Edited by MasterErrant, 02 May 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#11 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

If they made it so you could customize the kill sound AND so that other people could hear it, I would buy a Heavy Metal so fast that the electrons carrying my purchase order would travel faster than light and arrive before MW:O went into open beta.

#12 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Voted yes, but unfortunately it would be horribly misused and probably shouldn't happen. Kids play this game, and you KNOW some jerk would record or use some sort of nasty profanity for his kill-song.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

MW4 implemented a decal system... and although it was really cool, it did add additional overhead to the server.. because the file had to be transferred to all clients. There was weirdness related to the system anyways (I know CS used these differently, which was somewhat of a source of issues/whining).

The only way to make it "viable" is to make it solely clientside (only the client can hear their own sounds). The only actual issue though is if the music/sound is malformed.. causing unpredictable crashes that people will cry to PGI about to fix...

So.. there's no good "reason" to do it though...

Edited by Deathlike, 05 May 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#14 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Mine would play 'La Isle Bonita' by *******.

#15 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I would give my left nut for this to play on a constant loop so any enemies within a 300 meter radius would be forced to listen to it:

#16 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Oh lots of sound ideas run through my head.....

Ice cream Truck music

Die MF by Dope

Pac Man death music

Sexy UT2004 announcer screaming Unstoppable

Highlander sound clip of "There can be only one"

AC/DC Shoot to thrill

AC/DC Thunderstruck

Oh the overload of ideas....

Almost makes me want to spend money to buy one.....NOT!!!

#17 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

The way this could be implemented is with patches the different sound files could be downloaded (like ring tones) or loaded into the code, then you buy them with MC or whatever C-Bills, and assign it, then the API just calls the appropriate Ringtone.

#18 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'd rather they just make the sounds it has now actually be "heavy metal". They somehow missed the genre of music.

#19 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Nothing but ...

#20 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Any audio clip from Meet the Sniper, and I'm sold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users