Project: Battletech Universe

98 replies to this topic

#21 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

Love the look of it guys, keep it up.

I was a massive fan of the mech commander games (I still have both installed alongside MWO) and Ive always wondered why nobody created a top down style battlemech game.

What little is on show looks fantastic. Ill be watching for more.

#22 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Looks promising...I hope you get the help you needs Unity is pretty nice but you will definitely need some programmers.

The BM is heavy and should be slower, less manuverable, and a bit more stompy. But being a test run I am sure you already had that in mind.

Best of luck, awesome work so far.

Edited by Zypher, 22 April 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#23 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Unity actually isn't to hard to program for. Its not stupid proof or anything but there are a lot of resources for it.

#24 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Battlemaster actually is not slow, as it's stock cruising speed is 64 KPH, same as the majority of Heavies, a goodly number of Mediums like the Hunchback, and the Panther light mech. The major knock on the Battlemaster is it sacrifices too much ranged firepower for that speed.

That is a matter of perspective when you are talking about assaults that are doing 50 ish kph which is slow, a BM is not much faster. If the BM is considered slow in the demo, imagine using something that can do around 200 kph, it would be too twitchy to make use of. Sorry I just don't see something that is 85 tons doging fire like that. Assaults are made for dishing out fire and taking it, I don't see them being that agile. It could also be that the incoming missile fire is just way too slow, but this is just my opinion, we will just have to see where things go.

View PostKaryudo ds, on 22 April 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Unity actually isn't to hard to program for. Its not stupid proof or anything but there are a lot of resources for it.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting it was hard, I work with developers and I am a 3D artist as well. Unfortunately 3D artists are a dime a dozen, even good ones are pretty common nowadays, at least compared to good programmers. I would say it takes maybe 3-4 good programmers to keep up with the work of what one artist can do; good programmers are by far a much rarer commodity and are usually the lack thereof is what slows things down. Getting "enough" good programmers at one time on a non paid project isn't an easy task.

#25 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostZypher, on 23 April 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting it was hard, I work with developers and I am a 3D artist as well. Unfortunately 3D artists are a dime a dozen, even good ones are pretty common nowadays, at least compared to good programmers. I would say it takes maybe 3-4 good programmers to keep up with the work of what one artist can do; good programmers are by far a much rarer commodity and are usually the lack thereof is what slows things down. Getting "enough" good programmers at one time on a non paid project isn't an easy task.

Yeah art is highly competitive regardless of the industry I think. That's one reason I started looking into Unity's scripting resources and I never had any interest in programming before. With the documentation I can script my way out of a paper bag even without the internet :wub: but I agree, good and non-paid don't always seem to go hand-in-hand.

With all the rage around here though you'd think there might be someone out there interested in a Battletech game even non-paid.

Edited by Karyudo ds, 23 April 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#26 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Color me very impressed. This reminds me (very favorably) of Mechcommander, which was one of my favorite games ever. If only I had more free time, I'd love to help with the C# work.

Regardless, I'm all over this.

#27 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Wow, this looks hella cool. I really like the concept art.

#28 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

We have had a good response from our 'Open Position: Programmers', so we may be able to do things we have always wanted to but we were limited when it came to programming!

#29 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Will do Bishop, I think we currently have the art side of the house locked down, and now with two experienced programmers we should be set for now.

#30 Hellman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Looks awesome Phil...

#31 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Update: New Programmers

#32 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

This is most excellent news. Keep going and thank you again creating BTU.

I for one is very happy that it is a single player game.

#33 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's great! Guys, my best wishes to you. Can't wait to see early beta and stable release. I've been dreaming of Mech Commander game on modern 3D engine for a very long time already.

Edited by Featherwood, 26 April 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#34 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostFeatherwood, on 26 April 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

It's great! Guys, my best wishes to you. Can't wait to see early beta and stable release. I've been dreaming of Mech Commander game on modern 3D engine for a very long time already.

I think we can have a small build soon for everyone to play, though it will be like a firing range of sorts to show people how the weapons work.

#35 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Well MWO has been teasing us (or some of) for the last year so I'm sort of used to it. I just distract myself with shiny stuff...then I think about Star Citizen and get sad again at how it's not here yet either. :D

Either way I look forward to smashing things the second they may be smashed.

#36 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Update: Moving Forward

#37 Toffa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAn unknown, back-water planet of the IS

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

WOW! Followed and can't wait to have a play with this. Looks.... just..... WOW!

Side Note: Somewhere in the deep and dark regions of my mind and I can't speak for anyone else, I would love to see something like this used to 're-create' a more action oriented verson of BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks Inception.... That would rock my world considering I just re-played that bad boy on my TF300 via DOSBox...

Great work!!

#38 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostSean Lang, on 20 April 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

Project: BattleTech Universe http://projectbtu.wordpress.com/

Very happy to see another project moving forwards for the BT setting!

Downloading your videos at max res from youtube atm ... the bit i watched a the start looked quite nicely done.

Im curious if you're doing more of a Mech-commander esque thing? Or a first person mech piloting thing?

Full combined arms planned, with mech combat first?

Rather interested!

----

Now for the shameless plug part:

http://mwomercs.com/...y-an-education/

Should be of some use for your guys, esp. if they are not well-versed in the tech and the universe. The technical lore parts of the 'mechs will probably have some bearing on your game at some point, I suspect. If you guys haven't read it yet, I hope you get a kick out of it. I'll be very happy if it turns out to be actually useful for your project.

#39 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

OH, btw. you guys might find it useful to contact the development team for Megamek. I suspect in some ways your projects might overlap considerably in some areas.

#40 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

This is cool. The mech seems to run in reverse way to fast but that'll probably change. Right now it reminds me of the Sega version which was fun in it's day.

Edited by PropagandaWar, 02 May 2013 - 08:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users