• Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

Project: BattleTech Universe
http://projectbtu.wordpress.com/

FAQ

Posted Image

Posted Image

We will be posting new information, concepts, design features & builds for everyone to play. Please give us a follow at the blog by entering your email and clicking the 'follow' button! Enjoy!

New Blog Post - April 21, 2013

Scale, Speed & Distance

Update - April 25, 2013
New Programmers

Update - April 27, 2013

Moving Forward

Update - May 12, 2013

Lead 3D Artist Position

Update - June 12, 2013

The Locust

Edited by Sean Lang, 12 June 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

cool stuff

#3 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

I was expecting some crappy game footage but WOW, I was pleasantly surprised. You guys seems like a very talented team. Please keep up the great work and actually finish this project. Job very very well done so far.

#4 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Posted Image :P
ps. can't wait to play!

pps. Dat Battlemaster!

#5 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the support, look forward to seeing your reaction when we post up the first playable build!

#6 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

Will be keeping an eye on you guys...

Love Most of Short Painters work, so this should be interesting, though could you tell him that a lot of his mechs need to eat a sammich or sumthin? I mean, if I had a complaint, it's how many of them look like Kate Moss........

(Though his Stalker looks freaking amazing, funnily enough, the upper body was done in a similar manner to how I always envisioned it (Leopard Class Dropship with legs).

That Battlemaster's "chunky" enough, if ya ask me :P Honestly, I noticed the same thing, but I think his style has a unique and distinctly different look compared to many of the artists involved with Battletech. I LOVE the art of FD and ShimmeringSword, but his work has a very cool and different look. I really, really like how this project looks, and I CANNOT wait to see the art Shortpainter's been holding out on us ;) That Battlemaster is reallyyyy cool, is what I'm trying to say, also I really wish he'd show us more arrrrttt.. EDIT: Was that Shortpainter's Urbanmech I spotted in there?! Effing Radical!!

Edited by tyrone dunkirk, 20 April 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#7 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

@Bishop, don't put yourself down man, your work has gotten better and better!

Your going to enjoy the stomping about, punching things is very nice!

#8 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Totally agree. That to me, should be THE definitive Battlemaster. Seen many attempts, have attempted amny myself, and that one is perfect. Love the Grasshopper too. His Assassin is sweet as heck also, though again, slightly heftier limbs on it would be perfection (imo).

Dude is a far superior artist to myself, just giving an honest critique. He is the type of artist I would LOVE to work with, as I could learn a ton.

Heck, your Battlemaster is one of my favorite updates on the design, and I just checked the website link: I agree, the Stalker he did is amazingly cool :)

#9 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

What I gotta do is finish my Vulcan. Had a few ideas on it, and SPs reminded me that I hadn't "finished" it yet.

Now that's something I can't wait to see. Anticipating that design :)

#10 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Wow, have to say I'm pretty impressed with the video. Almost wanted to see a few more mechs and friendly ones but looking great. Funny I was actually considering moving a project I was working on to a format similar to that (though not terribly soon).

Curious though how do you have the facing markers set up? Doesn't look like Unity's GUI to me...or what I know of it :)

#11 ThinkTank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Looks fun. I will keep my eyes open for this.

#12 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 20 April 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Wow, have to say I'm pretty impressed with the video. Almost wanted to see a few more mechs and friendly ones but looking great. Funny I was actually considering moving a project I was working on to a format similar to that (though not terribly soon).

Curious though how do you have the facing markers set up? Doesn't look like Unity's GUI to me...or what I know of it :D

Sometimes creating illusions works! It is just a graphic that has an opacity applied, which is tied to the Battlemaster prefab. It really just serves as a visual marker for the player, but this was a temporary thing, our final HUD will be created down the road!

#13 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

Wow,phil this is awesome.You guys are really BT fans. Cant wait to play the title.I cheked out your Designs and Website and they are looking super.Love the Marauder concept,Battlemaster and Rifleman.One of them is the hollander,right?Nice job guys.I will tell our unit to take an Eye on this.They will be surprised like me...
edit:This Laser sounds....so cool :D

Edited by Mighty Spike, 21 April 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#14 Anais Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOutreach - Shopping of course!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

ohhhhhh i'm loving this.

Awesome work guys <3 xx

#15 Raven IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Looks interesting, though the info panels could be slightly larger imo. Will be watching this....

#16 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostSean Lang, on 21 April 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

Sometimes creating illusions works! It is just a graphic that has an opacity applied, which is tied to the Battlemaster prefab. It really just serves as a visual marker for the player, but this was a temporary thing, our final HUD will be created down the road!

Yeah, the way it moved I was thinking you rendered in on top of everything with another camera. Actually kind of like it though. Adds both a bit of a HUD feeling while giving obvious indication of everything.

#17 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

New Blog Post, April 21, 2013: Scale, Speed, & Distance

#18 redlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

the animation on the mechs... mechs are heavy and have a certain sort of bounce in the way they step. these move like they did in living legends. bust be a subtle and difficult thing to animate.

#19 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

@Bishop, well the biggest reason for us to have a scale system is the animation. We are using motion-capture (mocap), so if we scale the avatar (unity's new system for characters/assets), it also affects the speed of the object. So when we shrunk the Battlemaster, it also effects the base animation resulting in it sorta sliding.

As for scale overall, I think it's very important to set the min-max for a battlemech, but it is very tough due to the nature of mechs. A 20 ton humanoid, vs a 20 ton bird walker may not be the same height and if you do make them the same one may look bigger due to the nature of the scale etc etc..

#20 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

@ Sean

If you guys need some scaling info, we had a discussion over at mech3.org regarding the scaling of our paper models, Yogsolthan created a superb excel spread sheet with all the mechs and there heights. The topic is here :

http://www.mechwarri...er=asc&start=15

And the spread sheet here :

http://yogsolthan.fr...height_v2-3.zip

Just saves some time having to find all the info scattered around, now it is all in one nice spread sheet and easy to scale the mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users