Highest Alpha?

43 replies to this topic

#21 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

highest alpha i have ever seen was 205. that was prior to the LRM nerf however (5 lrm 20s plus 5 medium lasers on a stalker) i did watch one really confused centurion die in one shot to that build though.

#22 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Yeah, but then I'd have only 72 alpha damage :(

#23 HadesErebus

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 144 posts
  • LocationInside my DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future of Tukayyid

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

highest alpha on a medium mech :

HBK-4P

( sneek and destroy :P )

Edited by HadesErebus, 23 April 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#24 Panimu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

View PostJay Z, on 21 April 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Very well. Without LRMs you can still get up to a 96 damage alpha. STK-3F

Practically speaking you could get an alpha of 66 with good speed and heat management. STK-3F

For reference here are my two main builds. They are devastating but sacrifice a little alpha for more survivability and sustained damage output. STK-3F STK-5M

Spooky. Your 3F build is identical to mine bar I run Er Larges for when my group is operating at range I can be not totally useless. The MLs and SSRMs are enough to stress your 22DHS'. I may have an AMS over tons 2+3 of SSRM ammo also.

#25 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

View PostHadesErebus, on 23 April 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

highest alpha on a medium mech :

HBK-4P

( sneek and destroy ;) )

No way, this one has more alpha: HBK-4P

And this one even more: HBK-4P

#26 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

View PostSchwarzerPeter, on 23 April 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

No way, this one has more alpha: HBK-4P

And this one even more: HBK-4P

Look for my build on the first page, 75 alpha Hunchback ;)

#27 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostCervantes88, on 21 April 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

6 Machinegun 2 Flamers Jagermech-DD

6MG, twin ER PPC Jagermech-DD gets tested in the testing grounds.

So how long would it take for 6 MGs which altogether do 2.4 damage each second to take out a trial Awesome's side torso? Center torso? Find out!

#28 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 April 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

So how long would it take for 6 MGs which altogether do 2.4 damage each second to take out a trial Awesome's side torso? Center torso? Find out!

After I read the six MG spider and how OP it would be comment, I tested the jager DD with six MGs. It took me 45 seconds to core an atlas from the rear with six MGs. it took less then 10 seconds to core an atlas with a jenner using six medium lasers.

#29 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

to build on the 9 tag mech, here is the hex NARC A1!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a0d41383ab0e7f5
It can perform 5 complete alphas and is guaranteed to make nearly any mech extremely vulnerable to LRMS and SRMS!*

*May not perform as announced, may suffer complete disintegration of carrier mech if system is used. NARC LAUNCHER. Inc is not responsible for any complete stomps while using this build and is not liable for any advertising fallacies.

Seriously though, I think the splatcat or the 9 medium laser Hunchback 4p are probably some of the better high alpha builds, but really just mess around with mwosmurphy lab and try to build your mech around your preferred playstyle.

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 23 April 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

After I read the six MG spider and how OP it would be comment, I tested the jager DD with six MGs. It took me 45 seconds to core an atlas from the rear with six MGs. it took less then 10 seconds to core an atlas with a jenner using six medium lasers.

Keep in mind the 6 MG spider overpowered comment would be if each MG did 2 damage per bullet like people want. 10 bullets per second per MG, would deal 120 damage within a single second with 6 MGs. Tabletop rules state the MG does 2 damage in a turn, and that the ac/2 does 2 damage in a turn. Which is why people are griping. AC/2 only fired once in table top's turn, which is 10 seconds. MG constantly fired. So, 2 damage for an MG in 10 seconds is the table top standard. Now consider this: the MWO MG does 4 damage in 10 seconds. 0.04 per bullet, 0.4 per second (10 bullets in a second), 50 bullets does 2 damage in 5 seconds, and 100 bullets does 4 damage in 10 seconds.

Takes me 44 seconds to destroy its AC/20 side of an Atlas with the 6 MGs. It runs 2.4 damage per second. Once the armor is gone, bullets do their 2.4 damage still, but if you were hitting ammo or an engine component (which is now stated to have 15 critical health), each mg can go up to .12 damage on the critical slot as well as the .04 damage per bullet. Making a maximum possible internal damage of 7.2 per second for 6 MGs with the current unmodified system. Trouble is, you need a specific target. Ammo, for example, but the damage is too spread. Heatsinks always go easily because they are 3 slots wide making them easy to hit. But nothing tells you when you have success. If we had that, we'd be a little more confident in our MGs. It's 3 seconds average to destroy the AC/20 within an Atlas with only 4 MGs. Barely a second to destroy a gauss rifle complete with a 90% chance of it going boom and doing a full 20 damage to its user. (Great fun, remove the armor off the gauss rifle of a pop-tart, then MG the crap out of it. Cataphract 3Ds rage like mad!)

How many of those seconds did it take to get through the armor of the Atlas's rear torso? Because it would take a minimum of 3 seconds to kill the Atlas once the armor is gone with the current system After engine critical damage is enabled, assuming every shot does triple criticals (the 0.12 damage to internals). Though realistically it would likely be around 7 to 8 seconds maximum (since every shot crits at least once for 0.04 damage) to kill the Atlas once the armor is gone, while the Atlas's center torso structure is still bright yellow. That's current system once the gyro, engine, actuator targets are enabled as valid damage recipients.

(The math) Minimum critical slot damage of 0.04 * 10 bullets per second * 6 machine guns = 2.4 damage per second to a critical slot (however damage randomly selects a critical slot per bullet). 2.4 damage * 7 seconds is 16.8 damage. 2.4 damage * 8 seconds is 19.2 damage. Against 15 health on an engine, these calculations give leeway to "wasted" damage going to other critical slots such as the gyros or equipped weapons, ECM, etc. in the CT. This time frame is what it would take to kill anything with an engine with only MGs after the armor is gone. Obviously the larger and slower the target, the more practical MGs will be to use against it.

Edited by Koniving, 23 April 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 April 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

A much more practical one.
Spoiler

Demonstrated here, although not in ideal circumstances.
Spoiler

Left my flanking track mostly intact with some time skip, however if you want to go straight to the action, skip to 2:24. This is not meant to go against PPC builds, but I gave it a shot. The design is intended to fight AC/20 builds and their slow re-fire rate, as well as assault mechs.
Spoiler

#32 Tilon11

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

I once encountered an Atlas which happened to be the Alpha mech for the match and if I am correct it was about 17 metres high! :/

#33 Oriius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 21 April 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

But... Command Console...

On a slightly more serious note:
Dzida Laserowa (The Laser Spear)
You can actually play that thing, it meets launch requirements.

Lol thats an epic one!

I made a slight change to it though, http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09003701560ee43

Got you to 78 damage alpha and 1 amour all over, shame ya couldn't drop in it though.

Would love to see somone do a vid of a build like that in-action, and actualy surviving.

Edited by Oriius, 06 May 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#34 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostOriius, on 06 May 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

Lol thats an epic one!

I made a slight change to it though, http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09003701560ee43

Got you to 78 damage alpha and 1 amour all over, shame ya couldn't drop in it though.

Would love to see somone do a vid of a build like that in-action, and actualy surviving.

A mech needs 10 heatsinks to launch so you need to add 2 more.

This would be OK to launch but not be practical CPLT-K2

#35 Iscarius

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Highest possible alpha I could come up with is 141 with a glass cannon build.

stk-5m - unnamed

If you want a non-silly mech, you can pull off 104 alpha with a pure Stalker LRM boat.

stk-5m - unnamed

And without LRMs, 90 alpha from LLs and SRMs.

stk-3f - unnamed

#36 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostJay Z, on 21 April 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Very well. Without LRMs you can still get up to a 96 damage alpha. STK-3F

Practically speaking you could get an alpha of 66 with good speed and heat management. STK-3F

For reference here are my two main builds. They are devastating but sacrifice a little alpha for more survivability and sustained damage output. STK-3F STK-5M

For the OP, highest possible alpha is not all there is to an effective mechs. Sure, 6 PPCs will deliver 60 damage at once and can get some kills but have huge drawbacks in terms of weight and heat. It all depends on your play style. A high alpha is pretty useless without good speed. Sustained DPS will get you through a firefight when you can't withdraw.

Finally, here's a summary build. 60 Alpha, great DPS and heat management and speed (for an assault). STK-5S

Wow, just found this thread.

Did you notice that, according to Smurfy's, your 66 alpha mech actually also has the highest DPS?

#37 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

^ Yes. The only difference is the presence of dual AMS which means stepping down 2 SRM6s to SRM4s which will account for the difference. Dual AMS helps a lot if you are near friendly units as in a Stalker you are a huge LRM target.

#38 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

murder in a can
99.6 alpha. It can't actually accomplish anything with it, but it's there.

#39 ThePieMaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 155 posts
  • LocationNew Canton, Griffin Base

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Can someone go higher?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...379fc2c0c5af077

#40 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostThePieMaker, on 09 July 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

You disappoint me with how long it took you to post that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users