15 replies to this topic

#1 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

So I've been wanting to start making videos for upload to promote my House Unit. My propaganda officer is unable to do this as usual until he upgrades his computer, so I want to learn how. I have fraps, but no idea how to use, and I know I have to process the raw video, etc. Anyone have any tips or can point me to/write a basic guide for this?

#2 Hennessey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationThere... No not there. Yeah, over there!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

If you're going to use fraps, I would suggest going to the website for basic instruction on how to record full-screen games. There's usually a tutorial about recording WOW, COD, etc. Beyond that, I would suggest dropping the FPS for the fraps recordings to 30 FPS, and adjusting the resolution settings in fraps to make the files a little smaller (fraps is notorious for HUGE video files).

You will get a better recording in full-screen than in windowed mode generally, so make sure both fraps and the game are set to that.

Do practice runs to make sure you're getting both video and audio (if you need it) recordings, and be sure to set up a start/stop recording hotkey so that you don't have to alt-tab out of the game (which can cause crashes).

If you're lucky enough to have a 16 people to do an 8v8 sync drop, then take advantage of it. If you're just going to drop live, make sure that you either let the other players know what you are doing, or (if you're just getting gameplay) don't interfere with the match too much.

If you want a 'camera' view, use either the Commando, Stalker, or Atlas, turn off the HUD by using right-shift+F11, and zoom in twice or modify your .cfg file (Thread explaining this) and add CL_FOV = 90+ (this will put your point of view closer to the 'window', and may need adjustment depending on your preferences).

24 fps is the frame rate that will give you a 'cinema' style movement, anything above 30 fps will look more like regular gameplay. You can record at 24 fps or just render your videos at 24 fps. The latter generally produces better results.

As far as video software: It's really all about what's available to you, and what your comfortable with using. I use Sony Movie Studio 12.0 it's not top of the line, but it's only 100 bucks. Just remember that the more powerful the software is, the higher the learning curve, and you really need to find that happy medium.

I see you're monitoring this thread, so I'll just post this and you can ask questions if you like.

Edited by Hennessey, 29 April 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

I have done video with free software (FRAPs or similar plus Windows Movie Maker) but never tried recording video then adding voice commentary later. Is there a specific method for that feature requiring certain software?

#4 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostMerchant, on 25 September 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

I have done video with free software (FRAPs or similar plus Windows Movie Maker) but never tried recording video then adding voice commentary later. Is there a specific method for that feature requiring certain software?

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say probably a microphone and some recording program; a quick google search should turn some up.

#5 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

Could I do this though.
Get 1 or more videos to put together into one video.
Record a file of audio.
Add the audio commentary to the video.

In the free Windows Movie Maker, I see I can add a music file but nothing stands out for adding voice audio only. Do I record that as a music file or need a different program?

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Not sure there are many free programs that will do that. Maybe you can get a trial version and do it that way. NCH software has a VideoPad Editor that I believe will do what you want, but haven't played around with it. They usually have a 30 day trial.

#7 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

I've used Open Broadcasting Software to capture, Blender to create 3D renderings, and Lightworks to assemble video. Works pretty well, and all 3 can be used for free.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostMerchant, on 26 September 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

In the free Windows Movie Maker, I see I can add a music file but nothing stands out for adding voice audio only. Do I record that as a music file or need a different program?

My suggestion: Music file is an audio file. Just, making your verbal abuse (I mean, commentary) as a music file I think would do the trick. I've never done anything as you are trying to do, but I would think you are on the right track.

#9 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

Nvidia's Shadowplay (comes with most Nvidia GPU's might be free from Nvidia) is good... i use recording through MSI Afterburner (overclocking tool) and do all my editing through MAGIX Music Maker and MAGIX Movie Editor... spent $100 on each program through steam... Steam has lots of software available for this type of stuff... keep an eye out for sales going on there... recently they had both MAGIX programs for 75% off... I swore I heard my wallet scream at me for not waiting a few more weeks LOL!

#10 Aeromaxout

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

Blender also has a video editing feature which I have used for some of my company's videos.

#11 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostAeromaxout, on 26 September 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Blender also has a video editing feature which I have used for some of my company's videos.

Really, now. Quite nice. I'll have to look into that. On a scale of Windows Movie Maker to Adobe Premiere, where would you put that bit of functionality on quality?

#12 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

If you got Adobe Premiere or the latest Adobe CS package that's all you'll truly need for image/video editing production. I need to snag me a copy ;)

#13 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 26 September 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Really, now. Quite nice. I'll have to look into that. On a scale of Windows Movie Maker to Adobe Premiere, where would you put that bit of functionality on quality?

Blender: Functionality is unlimited. To get to that skill level though you need to be one of those 10,000 hour guys. There is absolutely nothing you can't do, but figuring out how to do it isn't easy. Adobe After Effects probably has 95% of the functionality with 10% of the learning curve... but keep in mind that 10% of 10,000 hours is still 1000 hours. ;)

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you want something that has more features than basic stuff (aka Camtasia level), you're going to need to dedicate a significant amount of time learning how to do it. But once you do, you'll feel like you rule the world!

FYI, for any normal production I make, I use multiple tools. Most projects use Blender, Camtasia and After Effects. Each has its strengths. Each has its limitations. And sometimes it's easier to move projects between the tools than to stay locked into any particular one.

Oh... I use Windows Movie Maker for credits too. Why? Because of the tools listed so far, it's the easiest way to get them in the way I want them to look. ;)

#14 Aeromaxout

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

I must agree (even if partially) with Heffay.

Although I can't speed for Adobe After Effects, I must admit that Blender's video editor is quite complex (as is the rest of blender). I wouldn't go so far as to say you'd need a 10,000 hour to get the job done though. Took me a few hours looking up tutorials on youtube to get me up to speed enough to do what I want.

Also, Window Movie Maker has the easiest credit functionality I have come across. It keeps in line with the K.I.S.S principle. I used this option for years and it works quite well.

Now perter full Blender (because I animate) to create unique credits. But if part of your budget is the amount of available time, then maybe not the best option for you ;)

#15 Hennessey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationThere... No not there. Yeah, over there!

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

I just looked and in WMM under 'tools' there's a 'Narrate Timeline' option. I've never used it, so I don't know what it does, but it could be worth a shot. Otherwise, you can add music to WMM and just use your voice track as the 'music'. You should be able to record it using 'Sound Recorder', which is located in your Start menu under 'Accessories'. The only problem with this is that the files are recorded in .WAV and are going to be massive. You should be able to find a freeware MP3 recorder, or WAV to MP3 converter.

All that being said, when you ask about using more than 1 video: Do you mean you want it split screen? Or, do you mean you just want parts of each video? The latter you should have no problem with, it's just a matter of splitting and splicing. Getting split screen however, is a lot more complicated, and requires things like masking, which are going to be pretty hard to find on low-end software or freeware. Best of luck!

#16 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

You can also do private drops and get your footage that way, no need to do a full sync drop if you know exactly what you want to capture. Doing a sync drop is random, a controlled private drop (at this time I believe Premium time/MC required) is a better option because you know what you are getting: 'mechs, players, map, etc. Look up other similar videos you like and get ideas for what you want to shoot.

You should also sit down and script/storyboard your idea so you don't waste time, pre-planning (pre-{production) can save you a lot of time and frustration throughout the whole process. You can also get an idea of the audio you need, the shots you need so you can plan out how you want to make your video. I would also recommend on your first video to keep it simple and not grab for anything too complex (effects, audio mixing) until you get adept at making videos, build on your experiences one after the other.

Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users