#41 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 04 May 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

With map manipulation, the player without the map disconnects, it does not force others to play the only map the client has.

And im not totally sure i would trust PGI to actually be 100% correct on their investigations...

Ohhh... Is that how it works ? Ok noted.

#42 Peter von Danzig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:56 AM

There was less cheating than in previous tournaments.
However, you PGI can only get rid off them in one way:

Cheating = Lifelong BAN from the servers

And please use Punkbuster or any other tool to prevent them from using aim bots.

#43 Lucky 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

Oh yeah Peter? And if they make a mistake.. those people at PGI are not without errors you know.
And no I'm not defending cheaters, I'm saying this for all the people that did/would/will not cheat but will be marked as such, because of some mistake the guys at PGI will eventually make.

2nd. draconian punishment does not prevent crime ffs.

#44 Peter von Danzig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostLucky 7, on 04 May 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

Oh yeah Peter? And if they make a mistake.. those people at PGI are not without errors you know.
And no I'm not defending cheaters, I'm saying this for all the people that did/would/will not cheat but will be marked as such, because of some mistake the guys at PGI will eventually make.

2nd. draconian punishment does not prevent crime ffs.

You can watch videos how they cheated by syncdropping and letting one guy kill the dcs. If the case is that clear, PGI should simply ban 'em for spoiling our fun.

No spirit, no mercy.

Edited by Peter von Danzig, 04 May 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#45 OvenRude

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

Where are people getting this "only first one get reward" stuff? If that is true, the way both the grid showing rewards as well as the initial post were written would defy all logic. I honestly don't believe that - have a tweet over to Garth to double check. It VERY explicitly states top 5 per weight class, per day, and top 20 per weight class overall.

#46 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostOvenRude, on 04 May 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

Where are people getting this "only first one get reward" stuff? If that is true, the way both the grid showing rewards as well as the initial post were written would defy all logic. I honestly don't believe that - have a tweet over to Garth to double check. It VERY explicitly states top 5 per weight class, per day, and top 20 per weight class overall.

I'm afraid it did not say that, it said that your best five matches per day would make your daily score, and your best 20 matches would make your weekly score. Quite a few people did misread it however.

#47 Lucky 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostPeter von Danzig, on 04 May 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

You can watch videos how they cheated by syncdropping and letting one guy kill the dcs. If the case is that clear, PGI should simply ban 'em for spoiling our fun.

No spirit, no mercy.

If you have proof like that it might be a different thing.
But you spoke in a very general tone and with that I can't agree.

Also this is a Free to Play game, which means a person that just wants to troll and cheat can have a multitude of accounts in.

Cheers

#48 OvenRude

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

If they choose to not honor the prizes given the way it was written that's on them, it was anything but clear. On the grid it says "Best 5" not "of best 5 matches" - that's some terrible english on their part and they need to honor exactly what it says.

I should note that this is how I saw it:

It broke down how it used the best 5 matches or best 20 matches to determine the rankings.

Then it showed a grid that simply stated "Best 5" and "Best 20 All Week", which one would likely assume means best 5 players and best 20 players.

To me making the logic jump to have "Best 5" mean "Best 5 matches for 1 player overall is the winner" instead of "Best 5 Players" is a pretty big one. IMO PGI should honor it the way it was written, or could be easily interpreted due to their own poor use of language. Of like the 15 people I talked with when doing this, not a single one saw it differently than "Best 5 Players" or "Best 20 players"

Why not simply have the grid say "Top Player Per Day" or "Top Player" instead of "Best 5"?

Edited by OvenRude, 04 May 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#49 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

View PostBananaNutMuffins, on 03 May 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

It was a giant let down when you see top players in your bracket or other brackets drop on your team or even groups of people you know cause they are either focusing you or going to do what they can to steal your kills. It was extremely frustrating having a certain "hobo" come by and steal every kill you worked hard to core out without any contribution other than the killing blow over and over again. To be honest this tournament started out being fun but turned into the hardest most frustrating grind Ive ever done. Having people 100% focus you bec they saw your name on the leaderboards or build there mech in a way only to counter you and tell you that in chat was frustrating. The whole farming a dced mech at the end of the game gets you banned thing is stupid that would mean every top player of the tourny would get dropped all of us are happy to get rewarded a win and a free kill from the games mishaps of problems but those games need to be pin pointed bec it couldof still been a bad game regardless of the free kill. I lost count how many times I unintentially dced/crashed during this weeks tourny, it happens, its part of the game. I would rather have a person spend the few seconds to ask to kill the dced mech than to have a mad frenzy trying to get the last touch on it (ive been tked standing by a dced mech just bec of the fight for it). I dont see why that would be a bannable offense. What I can see is if the said dced person wasnt dced but intentially letting the said person farm thats bs and should be a total ban/disqualification. Map cherry picking should also be a bannable offense and if the said person was sync dropping and having friendlys intentionally help them wound a mech and let the tourny player have the kill thats also bs and should get you banned but it would be very hard to prove and would be the samething as KSing which happend non stop everygame.

So does that make you one of the players that did this during the tourney? Don't tell me that you can't see this as circumventing the rules in violating exploits in the system.

View PostRaz Skullcrusher, on 03 May 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

During my brief but bitterly hard fought run in this tournament I have seen plenty that would seem like cheating from TKing for kills, opposing teams working in tandem because they knew eachother, acouple of sync-drops (maybe not from the top players but from others), and was as a large bit of KSing. But like I said it seemed like cheating but with the info I have not provable. I do enjoy the events that we now have as well as the attention we get from PGI, but its staggering to see how the community takes it and does with it. A event based on good fun and competition is reduced to complaining and bickering over this kill and that and frankly that's why I quit the tournament mid way through. I faced and got crushed but also plenty of times crushed the top seats in my division but watching them go about the match made me just not care anymore, watching them rush in and rip into a mech im about to finish and rush out to the next, then complain about not getting their kill when someone else takes it got ridiculous. The highest I ever got is #42 in Assault, and I was happy with my best top ten which came from hard and up till then happy grinding. My thoughts would be to see a more controlled tournament like a Solaris settings of less of a custom owned but more of a trial match tournament to weed out those who only target intentional pilots.

I know, I saw some of the players in the top 5 typing in all sorts of insults and swearing when they didn't get their kills after attempting to run in and steal kill a mech that one or two others have been brawling with it.

#50 Lucky 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 04 May 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

So does that make you one of the players that did this during the tourney? Don't tell me that you can't see this as circumventing the rules in violating exploits in the system.

And the witch hunt begins.

Btw. If someone disconnects and runs into your group how do you know that he is DC?
Do you not shoot at someone coming at you?

There is so much ******** in this "don't shoot dced guys" it's unbelievable.
Kills should have not been that important in the first place.
Always the ******** struggle for the last shot. Yay for high Alpha builds.

In every game I have played there has been a carnage over the Kills.. going that far that people actually blocked firing lines on purpose to get that last shot.

Also it is way more convenient to kill the last one than to cap to avoid killing the DC.
Btw. I got quite some team kills because I killed DC of the own team. But since that is also punished it is not a good thing to do.

#51 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostLucky 7, on 04 May 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

And the witch hunt begins.

Btw. If someone disconnects and runs into your group how do you know that he is DC?
Do you not shoot at someone coming at you?

There is so much ******** in this "don't shoot dced guys" it's unbelievable.
Kills should have not been that important in the first place.
Always the ******** struggle for the last shot. Yay for high Alpha builds.

In every game I have played there has been a carnage over the Kills.. going that far that people actually blocked firing lines on purpose to get that last shot.

Also it is way more convenient to kill the last one than to cap to avoid killing the DC.
Btw. I got quite some team kills because I killed DC of the own team. But since that is also punished it is not a good thing to do.

It's not about killing DCed mechs, it's about actively asking other players to let one player boost their score. That's what they are talking about in the OP. It's fine to destroy a DCed mech, you just are not allowed to conspire to do so with others to boost your score for the tournament. It exploiting a flaw in the game and could, if PGI wanted to, get the player and those involved banned.

Edited by AntharPrime, 04 May 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#52 Lucky 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 04 May 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

It's not about killing DCed mechs, it's about actively asking other players to let one player boost their score. That's what they are talking about in the OP. It's fine to destroy a DCed mech, you just are not allowed to conspire to do so with others to boost your score for the tournament.

Ok then all is fine, that is indeed not ok.

#53 KKillian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 304 posts
  • LocationGeneva, IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

I caught the flu and stopped playing on wednesday due to insane headachs, high fever and dizzyness yet I still managed to rank 9th on the overall light board... with two full days of playing missed. If I had more time to play I'm sure I could have improved many of the games I had up. That being said, I was completely solo the entire time and played multiple games with EVERYONE ON THAT PARTICULAR BOARD.

Not a single one of them was doing anything directly underhanded besides stealing kills but that is simply the nature of this competition, just cutthroat killing and maxing damage. They are all extremely high calibre players and deserve their spots on the board. Well earned to all up there. If I had friends or clan mates helping me, letting me pick them apart and greifing their teammates so I would have the advantage I could have easily put up WAY WAY higher numbers and people would have WAY more evidence than the small amount provided of a couple questionable matchs.

The only real issue I had with the tourny is the fact that its all completely random. They need to do this to surface the high competitors and then have us all drop against each other or single elimination brackets for the top 10 or 20 in each bracket. I bet that would bring in way better rateings on twitch also if it actually had set times and was administrator properly with a live judge.
Many times I wanted to 1on1 with someone I saw on the board above me I ended up dropped with but it is nearly impossible to get a clean duel out of a 8v8 match. We know who can grind hard, we know whos pretty damn skilled, and we know who plays too much (wink). Lets find out whos the best in a manner that actually makes sense.

Kudos to everyone on all the boards, well earned spots. Respect.

Everyone up there deserves the hula!

Edited by KKillian, 04 May 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#54 KKillian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 304 posts
  • LocationGeneva, IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

Oh and another thing, I havent crashed to desktop until the patch after the highlander tourny. Dunno what the hell they did but every game multiple people crash and I drop every 10-15 games. Telling people not to shoot disconnected mechs or faulting them for doing so is wrong, it is PGI's responsibility to have a stable game, and in a competition like this people are going to tear apart every target they see. I definetly admit to killing a few disconnects that we're left over at the end of a match, we are the lights, when the fight is over, we see there are players left, disconnected or not, we go to hunt them to finish the match.

If you people would rather sit around and wait for the timer to run out, or trying to say you cap a point and there is a dc mech next to the cap point and you do not shoot at it, you are blatent liars. I do admit every disconnected or unmoving mech I killed was a cockpit shot, I did not sit around and pick apart its bits to buffer my score, but nevertheless I'm not about to NOT kill the thing.

Accusing people of intentional disconnects with the current stability of the game is pretty off.

Edited by KKillian, 04 May 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#55 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostKKillian, on 04 May 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Oh and another thing, I havent crashed to desktop until the patch after the highlander tourny. Dunno what the hell they did but every game multiple people crash and I drop every 10-15 games. Telling people not to shoot disconnected mechs or faulting them for doing so is wrong, it is PGI's responsibility to have a stable game, and in a competition like this people are going to tear apart every target they see. I definetly admit to killing a few disconnects that we're left over at the end of a match, we are the lights, when the fight is over, we see there are players left, disconnected or not, we go to hunt them to finish the match.

If you people would rather sit around and wait for the timer to run out, or trying to say you cap a point and there is a dc mech next to the cap point and you do not shoot at it, you are blatent liars. I do admit every disconnected or unmoving mech I killed was a cockpit shot, I did not sit around and pick apart its bits to buffer my score, but nevertheless I'm not about to NOT kill the thing.

Accusing people of intentional disconnects with the current stability of the game is pretty off.

It's not about killing DCs, some were asking other players to let them strip all the armour off DCs to boost their score. I saw one proven with a video and others were reported with video proof. The OP states that it's OK to kill the DC but to circumvent fair play by getting the rest of the team to let you boost your score isn't.

Edited by AntharPrime, 04 May 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#56 Wadesin

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 38 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

I would like to state that knowing , playing and observing Koreaneze hes the best pilot ive seen in 6000 drops and fully deserves his titles. Although my clan mates jibe me as the Koreaneze fan club lol...

#57 KKillian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 304 posts
  • LocationGeneva, IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostWadesin, on 04 May 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

I would like to state that knowing , playing and observing Koreaneze hes the best pilot ive seen in 6000 drops and fully deserves his titles. Although my clan mates jibe me as the Koreaneze fan club lol...

ALL of the guys up there are pretty awesome, is why I would love to see a elimination bracket, People wanna see some real cutthroat gameplay? Pit these guys up against each other exclusivly.

#58 OvenRude

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostKKillian, on 04 May 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

ALL of the guys up there are pretty awesome, is why I would love to see a elimination bracket, People wanna see some real cutthroat gameplay? Pit these guys up against each other exclusivly.

I would love a shot at that.

#59 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thank you Com Guards, oh great wielders of the Ban Hammer! Monday could well be the name and shame of the century ^_^

Like HA, no Misery for cheats!

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 04 May 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#60 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

The part I found amusing, and the part that many people seem to have missed was this...

View Postdaemur, on 03 May 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

No sync dropping took place in any of the relevant games by any of the players in the top ranks of the tournament.

Which is to say, whether you think the people on the top cheated or not, that the data shows if if they were cheating, it wasn't in their top 10 matches. Meaning, even if they spent the whole week organizing syncs, it was when they weren't synced that they played better, proving the old saying, "Cheating isn't worth it".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users