How To Effectively Build The Jr&-K

16 replies to this topic

#1 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2754a36913392bc

Seriously, it not only works, it does really decent, once you get the piloting down. I play it in a support/harassment role. I have range to engage targets from pretty much wherever I like, and the speed to keep them wondering where the PPC fire is coming from. I usually average between 150 and 350 damage, though I've gotten close to 500 a few times. I tend to get a ton of assists, and usually get a kill or two. It's great for working down specific spots on assaults and heavies. The 3 module slots give me a lot of freedom to supplement as needed. It's also close to heat neutral.

So, yeah, take a Spider build, slap it on the most useless Jenner, and it suddenly becomes viable. Thanks, Spiders!

#2 coolcook007

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Posted Image

#3 zraven7

• 1,207 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

View Postcoolcook007, on 10 May 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Posted Image

Oh, dear, I've been Meme'd

Seriously, though, why do you feel it's a mistake? I'm doing rather well with the build, and it's not like the K is useful for anything anyways. I got it so I could Elite out my F, and just found the single-ERPPC config to have some real uses.

#4 coolcook007

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

I think light mechs are not meant to be played with ppcs.

#5 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

View Postcoolcook007, on 10 May 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

I think light mechs are not meant to be played with ppcs.

That's a lie. I'm using this Puma-like Jenner.

130 kph, still can jump, managable heat, HUGE range, 20dmg pinpoint alpha and 4 module slots. That's good support/harrasment mech.

#6 Little Details

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSt Louis, MO, USA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

I dunno about this one. the beauty of the 5D erppc is the ecm to shoot then scoot/hide and shoot from odd vectors. Without ecm, Jenners aren't that good at hiding and you're always a target for streaks. A light will find you way too easily and then it's game over.

I agree that you want to do something 'different' with the K. This is what I'm using:
JR7-K 2LL 2ML XL255
I did give up the JJ to fit the LL's which isn't ideal, but this isn't the ideal variant and it was fun enough to play for eliting the two worthwhile variants while letting you play using a different style.

Edited by LT Satisfactory, 10 May 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#7 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

View Postzraven7, on 10 May 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2754a36913392bc

Seriously, it not only works, it does really decent, once you get the piloting down. I play it in a support/harassment role. I have range to engage targets from pretty much wherever I like, and the speed to keep them wondering where the PPC fire is coming from. I usually average between 150 and 350 damage, though I've gotten close to 500 a few times. I tend to get a ton of assists, and usually get a kill or two. It's great for working down specific spots on assaults and heavies. The 3 module slots give me a lot of freedom to supplement as needed. It's also close to heat neutral.

So, yeah, take a Spider build, slap it on the most useless Jenner, and it suddenly becomes viable. Thanks, Spiders!

My JR7D has an erpps and two mlas. Works great. Run around and snipe a bit, run in close and mlas, run out of range and snipe, run back in and mlas. Great for larger enemies or attacking lights.

#8 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostArctourus, on 10 May 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

My JR7D has an erpps and two mlas. Works great. Run around and snipe a bit, run in close and mlas, run out of range and snipe, run back in and mlas. Great for larger enemies or attacking lights.

Until a Streak light decides to kill you. LOL....
Waiting for them for remove splash from missiles to see the changes.

#9 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

You'd be surprised how eager a streak light is to disengage when a ppc hits them straight in the face.

3Ls are particularly quick to panic when they lose their precious ECM coverage.

#10 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostShinVector, on 10 May 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Until a Streak light decides to kill you. LOL....
Waiting for them for remove splash from missiles to see the changes.

Nothing'll change =) Streaks hits only Jenner's CT. All other parts are taking damage by splash.

But, with PPC and 2xML he's still able to leg streak-bstrd.

#11 Little Details

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSt Louis, MO, USA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostArctourus, on 10 May 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hmm, something like this may be sorta fun, but I'm not sure I'm convinced it's ideal:
JR7-K ERPPC, 2ML, XL280

#12 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

look at what this game has become :P

#13 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostEns, on 10 May 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

look at what this game has become :P

Tell that to the Poptartlet.

View PostArctourus, on 10 May 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

You'd be surprised how eager a streak light is to disengage when a ppc hits them straight in the face.

3Ls are particularly quick to panic when they lose their precious ECM coverage.

Having both been the PPC firer and the 3L at different times, I can tell you that a wise 3L will not disengage in such a situation unless their foe also has ECM. So if you're in a PPC carrying CDA-3M, every hit robs the 3L of its streaks for four seconds. However, if you're not carrying ECM they will press the advantage if they're smart. After all - PPCs have a minimum range and it's harder to hit targets at closer ranges with the ERPPC and you can't possibly run out of its range.

So, don't rely on 3L cowardice to make builds functional.

#14 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostFrostCollar, on 10 May 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

Tell that to the Poptartlet.

Having both been the PPC firer and the 3L at different times, I can tell you that a wise 3L will not disengage in such a situation unless their foe also has ECM. So if you're in a PPC carrying CDA-3M, every hit robs the 3L of its streaks for four seconds. However, if you're not carrying ECM they will press the advantage if they're smart. After all - PPCs have a minimum range and it's harder to hit targets at closer ranges with the ERPPC and you can't possibly run out of its range.

So, don't rely on 3L cowardice to make builds functional.

True, I mainly rely on my aim....

#15 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

I found that the stock weapons worked just fine. Obviously it needs the usual upgrades, but 4ML and SRM4 is a great combo.

#16 zraven7

• 1,207 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 10 May 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

I found that the stock weapons worked just fine. Obviously it needs the usual upgrades, but 4ML and SRM4 is a great combo.

I'm not saying it isn't. I just don't really like the Jenner as an SRM platform. It works fine as one, but I like a little bit more range. The 6MLAS f is an awesome thing if you can handle the heat management, and is still one of my go-to mechs. I just have found that my ERPPC K is nice for the recent pattern of hitting Tourmaline or Alpine every other match. I can start slinging damage some before my front line engages, or offer support fire sooner.

#17 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostArctourus, on 10 May 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

True, I mainly rely on my aim....

Ha, good choice. Only rely on things you can control.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users