MW3 Stuff Back, Like it or Not!

15 replies to this topic

#1 DarkAberle

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

Hey,

Remember some of the stuff in MW3...like taking some ones mech's leg of and putting them down and they couldn't get back up...ya you remember

or ammo detonation if you hit them where it was stored
or the speed boost that pushed you mech to higher speeds but at the price of a steady rise in heat levels

are any of there things going to be in this game?

and if any one like or dislike please leave a comment

#2 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

In MW1 your mech could be incapacitated, such as losing a leg (or two), gyros destroyed, what have you, but if it didn't actually blow up the mech or kill the pilot, you were still there and had stuff you could do. You could go into your command screen and order your lancemates to different locations on the map, assign them different targets, you were still very much Lance Leader, you just couldn't fight back personally.

That made a lot more sense to me than in MW2 where a mech could still be standing after losing a leg, and MW3 where you eject for no reason upon losing a leg.
Maybe they could expand upon MW1s thinking, and if your weapons were still online, and you just couldn't move, you could still fire in the direction you were facing on the ground.

Is there any canon references to mechs still fighting after getting legged?

Ammo detonation is common in this era of battletech. So that will have to be in game.

The speed boost that pushed your mech to higher speeds at the cost of higher heat was the MASC, which is beyond 3050s era technology. MW:O is set in 3050.

---Buck.

#3 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

i think and i hope that you can stay up and active as long as you have not exploded or ejected. If you get in a situation that you are not moving but you still can fire or see, you should stay in the battle and act as scout for your location. If your mech is face down in the dirt and blindthen you might as well eject.

#4 DireWolf307

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 404 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives, St. Ives Compact

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

There's lots of references in lore to legged 'mechs still being able to fight but at an obvious serious disadvantage.

Ammo storage explosions are also a major part of lore, so I'd expect that to be in the game.

As mentioned, MASC is the speed boost at the cost of heat. As far as my research shows, it should exist in 3049?

#5 domokun

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

Legged mech being either dead or just standing around in a location is one of worst features in MechWarriors 2 and MW3. If there is something that was done better in MW4 than older MW's... it was the fact that mech could limp slowly with one leg damaged.

Gyro damage should be around and it should have effect on mechs mobility. Something like manual balance management with balance indicator that moves randomly if you got damaged gyro. How fast the balance point moves around and how much attention it needs from player should be proportional to how many hits gyro has taken, how fast mech is moving, how fast mech is turning and turning torso. For example if a mech with one gyro crit walks with 50% power with out turning torso or mech players should be able to stay up minimum 6 seconds without checking for balance, but if player starts to turn or accelerates time to potential tripping should become shorter.

#6 Dark Puppy

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

MASC is clan tech in this era, 3x Strength Moyamar (sp) exists but is only partially useful for inceased speed.

#7 Revage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCoos Bay, OR

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

Related to Mechwarrior 2 movement, the "stuck in place" issue of going one-legged was able to be negated by having jump jets on your mech. In 2, your jump jets could not only launch you up, they could also launch you forward, backwards, and side-to-side, which I've really missed ever since. I'd like to see multi-directional jump jet usage return.

#8 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Yes, I am playing it in these days and the fully controllable jjs are extremely useful (probs even a bit too much).

#9 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Jumpjets should not give you too much of an advantage.
If it did why not just mak all mechs have jumpjets.

Jumpjets should only provide mobility ie jumping to hard to reach areas and less for maneuvering and being hard to hit.

#10 Aleric

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Legging mechs is a given to me. How do you justify a mech limping around with a blown out leg. If you can blow an arm off and disable all the functions in that area then so to with the leg. Heat Sinks were always in the legs and that is why they armored them more and stayed in cover in the lore. The more realism in this aspect the better for me. I loved MW3 it allowed you to gain better loot by concentrating what you destroyed. They broke that function in MW4 with random generated drops.

Edited by Aleric, 02 June 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#11 Phaid Knott

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

Problem is with legging Mechs is that it was too easy to incapacitate. Thats fine for a single player game, but for a multi-player?

I think a limping mech is fine (still a serious disadvantage). Sounds like Crits (and ammo) is in, dunno how they will handle the cascading damage to other slots/locations.

#12 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

thing i wanna see from mw3 was the awesome cockpit damage... you took hits from mg's the cockpit glass would star u[p with bullet holes... lasers left burn marks... autocannons shattered parts of it that was freakin cool and gave you a reaon to stay in first person mode

#13 KitLightning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostDarkAberle, on 31 October 2011 - 07:19 PM, said:

*snip*

I'd suggest you try out MW:LL for a start to see if you enjoy being legged in a multiplayer environment, it may be fun the first time but afterwards it gets old very fast :X

#14 BlackMoore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 139 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBlack Widow Company

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Legging was frowned upon in BattleTech. I played all the MW games as a single player game. But in a pure Multi player game like BattleTech it became a matter of honor and skill. Time will tell how MWO plays out. Will it be honor based or all out war?

#15 Mechcockmander

Clone

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostBlackMoore, on 04 June 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

Legging was frowned upon in BattleTech. I played all the MW games as a single player game. But in a pure Multi player game like BattleTech it became a matter of honor and skill. Time will tell how MWO plays out. Will it be honor based or all out war?

If it costs players not just time but money to limit themselves to fit some arbitrary ideal... then what do you think?

#16 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

its all out war.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users