87 replies to this topic

#1 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Guide V1.0
Hello everyone, you may be reading this to expand your knowledge on the Spider-5D, or to find out a new build, or maybe you're a new player just trying to learn a little more about the game. In any case, I hope you'll be able to take something new away from this guide I've put together! (Warning: it's a long one - the feint of heart may turn back now)

NOTE: Criticism is welcome, but only if it remains constructive. Remember, this is a thread about the Spider-5D, we are not talking about Jenners, Ravens or Commandos here unless it directly relates to the topic.

A little about myself, I have been around since February and after numerous fails in the bigger battlemechs I decided to give the little guys a go. Since then I have become quite a decent light pilot(Actually I think I'm pretty damn good but I will only toot my own horn in parentheses XD ) and I frequently get asked about my builds. Since the most demand comes from me playing in my Spider, I finally decided to get off my *** and write this thing. This is a thorough guide on how to play my personal webslinger build of the Spider 5-D. There are a few different ERPPC builds out there but in my opinion this is the best one. So let's get started!

What's the build?

SDR-5D Black Widow

Spoiler

This build can switch between sniper, skirmisher, harasser, and scout in the blink of an eye. We'll be getting into all of this in much greater detail below.

Why The Spider 5-D?
This build works extremely well with the Spider-5D due to many factors:
  • Speed
  • Small silhouette
  • Incredible arm movement
  • Very fast torso twist
  • Jump Jets
  • ECM
  • Looks awesome
Loadout

Weapons

Your main armament will come in the form of an ERPPC(webshot!) in your right arm. It allows you to deal a whopping 10 points of damage to a single location up to 810m away. Beyond your effective range, the ERPPC still does damage out to 1620m - albeit with a linear damage falloff that increases with the distance to your target.

Your secondary weaponry will be 2 small lasers - 1 in your center torso and one in your beefy arm(the right arm). These come in handy in up close engagements for a quick 6 damage and fast recycle time(spider bite!). If your ERPPC happens to get critically hit and consequently destroyed, these little guys will see you through to the end of the match with immense reliability that you never knew they had. The effective range of small lasers is 90m. They can deal damage out to 180m with linear damage falloff as distance increases past the effective range, similar to the ERPPC but lasers must be held on target unlike the ERPPC.

Equipment

Ferro-Fibrous Armor will give you an extra .38 tons to work with. Take it - you'll be putting those points toward armor and you'll have the slots to do it.

Endo-Steel Internal Structure will provide an extra 1.5 tons for you to work with. Same as the Ferro upgrade - take it, you'll have the slots free and will require the tonnage for your overall loadout.

Double Heat Sinks are inevitable for this build - They'll cool your mech much more efficiently than SHS, and at less tonnage since you won't have to add extras!

2 of 8 Jump Jets is all you need. Really! It's just enough to clear small obstacles to snipe over them, jump on top of buildings(including the citadel!), and give you the edge in combat with unprecedented mobility.

Guardian ECM makes you and your allies invisible on radar at distance, can jam enemy ECMs in counter mode, and prevents people from getting a targeting lock on you. Enormously beneficial!

The maximum engine size rating you can run in any given spider is 255. A good fit! Strapping this into your webslinger will allow you to move at 137.7 kph before speed tweak and 151.5 kph afterwards. Wow, that's really fast! And it's just as well - you'll need all the agility you can muster to ensure your survivability as well as lethality. This engine provides 10 internal heatsinks which will be invaluable as true doubles!

Modules

With an unmastered Spider-5D you have 2 module slots. It's really a shame! This build almost mandatorily needs Advanced Sensor Range. This will increase your sensor range out to 1000m, and makes you a far better scout and long-range fighter. For your other module, I would recommend taking either a Capture Accelerator, or a Cool Shot(The bigger the better, if you can afford it!). When mastered, you'll have 3 slots! Slap on the Advanced Sensor Range, Capture Accelerator, and Cool Shot(or drop the Cap. Accelerator and take 2 Cool Shots for maximum refrigeration!).

Early game: Scouting, Pressure and Espionage

Now that you know your effective ranges, speeds and jump capability, the question of 'what range should I begin engaging the enemy?' arises. There is no solid answer to this question, since normally you'll have to decide depending on the situation.

Pressuring the Enemy

For smaller maps like Forest Colony, and River City you might just start belting them out from the get-go to put pressure on the enemy. Although, on larger maps that will have you spotting enemies at distance you may want to forgo a few meager points of damage at long range in exchange for a stealthy approach and safer scouting. It's much harder to actually pressure an enemy team on larger maps with immediate fire because they have much more room to hide or flank from. They can take a small step behind cover and take plenty of time to look at their options for advancing whereas on smaller maps, they will have to make a decision quickly to avoid being pinned down and battered to pieces by you.

Stealth

If you decide to run stealthily at the start of a game, you have to keep something in mind: your ECM will provide you cover from battlemech sensors - not keen eyed pilots. Think about where the enemy is heading, and stay out of sight. Try to dart between cover when you think you can get away with it, use terrain like hills to quickly crest - spot - and get back down before the enemy has noticed you. Those few seconds that you light that enemy battlemech up on the map is a tremendous help to your team.

Sometimes, you can get really lucky and sneak all the way to the other side of the map. If that happens, capitalize on your ninja skills! You can start doing one of two things: Begin pelting them in the back with ERPPCs OR let the enemy walk far away from their starting zone(inform your team where they are!) and step on their base to draw a few back providing your team the advantage of numbers. That said, if no one comes back.. You'll win by capture! :rolleyes:

Mid Game: Strike Fear Into Them

Now it's time to sink your fangs into the enemy team! You should primarily aim for larger mechs, and engage lights only when the opportunity presents itself or you need to fend them off for your heftier allies. When the battle starts, help out by placing a few pot shots here and there until both main forces are really focused on each other. This happens quicker in some maps than others but it will inevitably heat up.

Striking

The battle is raging. Both sides are duking it out. You are now one of the smallest, deadliest of forces to be reckoned with at this point. You can sweep in and out of other players engagements quickly with enough time to get a few ERPPC shots off. Find an injured, lone, wayward battlemech and send him to hell. If it's a slow battlemech that you can outmaneuver you should make easy work of him. However, if you see that the pilot is indeed competent and fairly fresh in his/her (atlas, cataphract, or any other mech that is of high threat level to you when fairly undamaged). If you can get to a good position that's out of the way but provides a good vantage point as well as cover, you can snipe the enemy into little bits!

Check it out!
Spoiler

Harassing

Sometimes, you will find that your team is being pinned down into an otherwise suboptimal location, slowly taking damage but not sending enough back to the enemy. Times like these call for you to jumble the enemy forces by providing a distraction, biting at their backs, or doing a quick driveby and fleeing. You'd be surprised how quickly this can turn the tide of battle for your large but lovely teammates. Also, running in and out of combat and generally making a nuisance out of yourself is quite helpful. Enemies will sometimes target you leaving themselves open for attack and/or allowing your team to dive behind cover. Sometimes they'll just get enraged by you and stomp off to chase the itsy bitsy spider leaving their team down a mech!

Defending Yourself

If you find yourself outgunned and in the midst of a bad situation that you didn't mean to put yourself in by running along at top speed listening to your old Scandal albums, then you need to know how to survive.

When facing a large opposition that are all shooting at you, try a somersault! Do a barrel roll! Use the boost to get through! But seriously, you need to be a lunatic - roll your torso all over the place to spread damage about if you're being hit. Your gimpy arm(the left arm) is your shield arm - it's a sacrificial limb and you don't need it for any reason other than to soak up a little bit of damage before you get behind cover. That means, keep your left side towards the enemy while you run away.

Jump jetting! Try to avoid large jumps as it is very easy to predict where you will land. Small jumps to the left and right while moving at maximum speed are usually what is called for if what you need is a quick escape!

If you are being pursued by a single mech(most likely an opposing light[A Raven-3L because you won't have much trouble dealing with anything else] mech) that you'd prefer to avoid single combat with, try and kite them back to your team's main force. He'll break off his pursuit before he chases you for too long if he is smart, and if he isn't he will get a good arse-whoopin' from your team! If it happens that you're being chased by a pack of enemies that can just about keep up with you, do everything within your power to make it back to your team as quickly as possible and only take shots as they reveal themselves to you. If they are not jump capable, try to jump to an area that they cannot reach. It may just buy you enough time to get away.

I intended to fight only the cicada on this base. A spider and another cicada appeared!
Spoiler

End Game: The Edge of Glory

If everything has gone well and your team has done a fairly good job of blasting enemy robits then mopping up should be an easy job. However, don't forget the game isn't over till it's over! If you get greedy and run in for the last kill or two you may find yourself fighting a critter with it's back up against a wall if you know what I mean! If the enemy doesn't panic at the sight of you(Which they should, you're the mothereffing grim reaper), then they stand a good chance of landing one last lucky strike before they go out in spectacular fashion by the rest of your team. You know that jager with the XL engine with all 3 torsos glowing red? He's packing AC/20's and one good shot is all it takes. Play it safe, play it smart. That said, if you fancy yourself as something of a gambling man, by all means go for it!

When Things Seem Grim

Okay, now on to the other end of the spectrum: The valiant last stand. It has happened on many occasion that the last mech standing on your team is the deadly black widow, but however lethal she is there are always bigger mechs that threaten to stomp her lights out. And by her, I mean you.

If it so happens that you find yourself alone against the enemy team, remain calm. You can still snatch victory from the jaws of defeat! First, determine how many players are left on the enemy team. If it's just one, find out his loadout and judge whether he is a long range fighter or a brawler. If you can, use your speed and jump jets to dictate the range that the battle is fought if you don't want to knife fight with him.

When you face two opponents, things can get tricky. Try to string them out - If one mech is slower than the other you can attempt to get one alone and hammer on him for a bit before engaging the next. Once again, if at all possible, use your speed and jump jets to dictate the range that the battle is fought.

On the off chance you're fighting against three or more mechs, try to string out the quick mechs and take them out far from their slow heavy hitters. If you manage to survive that and there is just a mass of enemies that you can't escape from, you'll have to initiate lunatic mode: zip, zag, dodge, weave in and out of their group while taking any shots you can get but pay attention to the paperdolls! You're not going on a suicide mission - You're going on a mission to destroy one or more mechs quickly. By getting getting in the middle of all of them and zipping around you make them block each others shots and hopefully get a little friendly fire out of it. If you get a kill, see if you can back off and snipe at them. If it's better to get in and brawl, do it but remember - You're a god**mn lunatic. Reflect it in your piloting.

In this video, I manage to defeat a stalker and a jagermech on my own and win the game for our team!
Spoiler

Extra Tips and Things to Know!
  • When you're running really hot, it's best to only use the small lasers!
  • Make a little extra detour when running in and out of combat to cool off a little before heading back in.
  • Don't overheat in the middle of a fight - Stationary mechs are dead mechs (especially lights!).
  • If you DO overheat, make it worthwhile - Take someone to hell with you.
  • Remember that you're a lunatic.
  • You may miss a lot - That's okay. You're running really fast in a very twitchy mech. Sometimes the game won't recognize that you made a hit either. That's okay too. Don't get discouraged.
  • Spiders are advanced mechs and new players may find it hard to survive or play this mech well, but if you practice you can become a black widow too!
  • It might help for some people to hold the arm-lock key just before you fire the ERPPC so you don't have to worry about wonky convergence.
  • Try not to damage your legs too much by collisions and fall damage.
  • It's easier to suck the blood of your prey from behind!
  • Remain a lunatic.
  • Outsmart your foes - Weave through buildings and cover and don't take predictable routes.
  • I make videos! Watch them!
I hope my guide helped you in some way or another. If you have any questions or comments, let me know! Criticism is welcome, but only if it remains constructive. Remember, this is a thread about the Spider-5D, we are not talking about Jenners, Ravens or Commandos here unless it directly relates to the topic. This guide will be updated as necessary!

Thanks guys and gals, and enjoy your new black widow!

Edited by Cubivorre, 21 May 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#2 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BUY A SPIDER! Good videos though.

#3 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

i prefer to run 2 ml with only 161 armor and the info gathering module instead of the cap accelerator. ill only cap to seperate the enemy force or if im the last man standing. the info gathering module helps to identify the weakest enemy and his weakest component.. ive also ran a 2erl without ecm just to practice for the upcoming patch when it loses half of its effectiveness

#4 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

the last video was one hell of a round and it proved one thing perfectly ... in a spider there is no mr nice guy ! be mean or be gone!

#5 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

I normally run my 5D with just the PPC and an additional DHS, which means I can shoot almost continuously on Caustic.

It's been pointed out before, but this is basically clan tech, today!
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Pack_Hunter

#6 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

Heeeey I am famous!!!That COM-3A on vid with K2 is me! :)
Good job Cubi :wub:

#7 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 17 May 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

I normally run my 5D with just the PPC and an additional DHS, which means I can shoot almost continuously on Caustic.

It is bcuz for this armament you do not need 7 critslot ES and FF.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

I was running a build very similar to this, except that I had only the ER PPC and 4 jump jets. I have since switched out the ER PPC, dropped two jets and am now running 3 med. pulse lasers. I'm no longer able to snipe with my new build, but the number of matches that I was taking out enemies by sniping were very few and far between anyway. I am really liking the pulse lasers and now I regularly do double the damage I was doing with my ER PPC. There are occasions that I miss having the 4 jump jets though. Otherwise this is a very intriguing build.

#9 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostSkadi, on 16 May 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BUY A SPIDER! Good videos though.

Spoiler

View PostLordDante, on 17 May 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

the last video was one hell of a round and it proved one thing perfectly ... in a spider there is no mr nice guy ! be mean or be gone!

We can't afford to be soft, haha! If we ease up for a moment that could spell out the end of us. :wub:

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 17 May 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

Yes, I have seen the spiders that run only the PPC, but I prefer to have my small lasers too for a few of reasons:
  • An additional 6 points of damage to my alpha
  • Backup weapons in case my ERPPC gets taken out.
  • Gives an easier alternative to using the PPC when fighting other fast-moving mechs

I'll upload a video where this happened and my small lasers kept me in the fight!

#10 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

I run a variation of this build with the 2 small lasers, an erppc and 4 jumpjets.

Nasty little mech. 300 matches, 2.4 KDR and a 1.75 W/L ratio, mostly pugging matches. Works best with a 9by9 and capture accelerator, possibly a 6 fluid flush too or an advanced sensor range.

Easily puts out 200-500 damage a round, top rounds you can push up to 700 damage fairly solidly.

#11 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

I hate you Col. Panda now everybody knows!!!!!!
Hahahahaha
On a side rage rant ya shouldn't be able to put a howitzer on a porsche.
That just ain't right.
And what's wrong with game.
However I will be buying a spidery mech today.
Oh and I hate you to Cubi.
Naw just jokin,but seriously I hate ya.

Edited by Novakaine, 17 May 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#12 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Great Guide! Solid tips and advice for making the Beautiful Mech shine on the field.

I'm a jumper. So, I traded the back-up weapons for extra jump jets on my build. It's a personal style choice, but I prefer to be able to fly when I have to and I often use the extra fuel to extend a jump. I have even been able to jump on, then off enemy heads when in a brawl and, as OP put it, going lunatic on them. Oh, and to add to that: Be very, very, very careful if you decide to jump straight up, poptart style. I prefer my jumps to start with full lateral speed. Also, be very aware of your angle to the enemy when you jump. Try and avoid jumps directly away from an enemy firing line!

As I have not mastered the build yet (I'm close!), I only have two slots. Since I don't have the 2 small lasers, I don't really need the cool shots. So, I use the Target Info module and the lvl 2 Sensor Module. The target info module is pure gold for quickly identifying those wounded mechs and figuring out where to place my shots. Using that edge has allowed me to ambush a group of enemy mechs and, literally, run through them killing left and right. When I get my third slot, Cap Accelerator is going in.

You are dead-on in your tactical break down of using this build type. Other light mechs are your biggest threat! Always be cautious and wary of mixing it up with them.

This mech is ALL about situational awareness. You lose that, you are going to get slagged. You have to keep up with the whole battle, as well. Not just your mech. This, and the ability to control and aim at 151kph is what makes this such a hard mech to use.

Hope to see you out there some time!!! Running a pack of 2 of these Spiders has been a blast, BTW. Especially when we have both been on TeamSpeak.

#13 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Cubivorre, what do you think of the BAP changes coming? I habitually use ECM and BAP together, if only for the sensor range boost. I was just about to pull the BAP from my 5D when the changes were announced. The 1.5 ton investment means I can only run a 200XL engine, but it's fast enough for me. I've been running with one ML for backup; think I'll try the SL version and see how that feels. Also, we have almost exactly the same paint job, heh.

#14 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I'm not Cubivorre, but I'll add my opinion.

The BAP change is not going to effect the Spiders offensively. We don't have streaks, just energy weapons. So, the BAP buff doesn't change our use of it.

It will effect us on defense, though. Now, a Raven 3L can lock on to us and streak us without switching his ECM mode to counter. He can stay hidden behind the ECM blanket while locking on to us. Worse, the trick of using the PPC effect to shut down his ECM will no longer work.

The BAP change also means we can expect an uptick in Streak armed heavies and assaults. Maybe mediums. Best practice up on your long range marksmanship boys. Getting in close is about to become a lot more dangerous.

#15 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Might I suggest you try using Target Info Gathering, Target Decay and then Coolshot 9x9 for your modules. The combination of the 2 Targetting modules allows you to hit R and immediately drop out of sight, whilst retaining lock long enough to give you their loadout/damage, as well as their location if you pop back up again quickly to utilize this information. Coolshot is just always useful to have, especially with the 2 smalls. One thing I did notice in your video is you hesitate to use your cool shot. If you are not doing this to try and save CBills then you may want to be a little more easygoing with using it, having your full alpha power to finish off a mech quicker that may still hit you and hurt is always useful! :lol: Especially with your playstyle as long as your heat does not hit 0 (which it rarely does) then it has not been wasted, so press it often! :lol:

#16 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 17 May 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

Cubivorre, what do you think of the BAP changes coming? I habitually use ECM and BAP together, if only for the sensor range boost. I was just about to pull the BAP from my 5D when the changes were announced. The 1.5 ton investment means I can only run a 200XL engine, but it's fast enough for me. I've been running with one ML for backup; think I'll try the SL version and see how that feels. Also, we have almost exactly the same paint job, heh.

I don't think the new BAP changes will really affect this build too much. Kommisar is pretty much right: Defensively speaking, the majority of your fighting will be at distances greater than 150m so your ECM will still protect you from most enemies carrying streaks. Offensively speaking, it won't affect us in the slightest besides removing our ability to counter an enemy ECM. None of the weapons in this loadout rely on target locks so in general you may be at risk of seeing a few more streak missiles coming your way but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

As far as taking BAP with me.. I personally wouldn't. I like my speed, and the extra 25% of sensor range(200m) isn't that big a deal to me. With Adv. Sensor Module I can target out to 920m (A 15% increase onto the base sensor range of 800m) a little over my effective webshot(ERPPC) range. After that I know the damage falloff will get increasingly bad so I am not too worried about not seeing a paperdoll.

As far as scouting is concerned, I don't think being able to spot an enemy slightly further away for your team will help all that much for the following reasons:
  • If they have ERPPCs/AC2/GAUSS/ERLL, you will know it because they'll be trying to shoot you.
  • That means you can pretty much tell what is going to be a poptart and what isn't.
  • It also tells you who has 2 out of the 3 most deadly weapons in the game: the PPC/GAUSS/AC20.
  • You have visuals on the enemy and no sensors - if you have a decent knowledge of mech hardpoints you can normally tell what mechs can and can't mount AC20's or speculate on what weapons an enemy could potentially carry.
  • You'll also be able to generally tell what kind of team you're up against by seeing what chassis' they have.

All of that can be done without getting the targeting info data from a little extra range. The secondary function of BAP, being able to lock onto powered down mechs.. If you're in that close, you've probably been knife fighting with them. You know what is damaged so continue beating on that zone! Or if you're a quick shot nail that cockpit with an alpha strike!

View PostWispsy, on 17 May 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

Might I suggest you try using Target Info Gathering, Target Decay and then Coolshot 9x9 for your modules. The combination of the 2 Targeting modules allows you to hit R and immediately drop out of sight, whilst retaining lock long enough to give you their loadout/damage, as well as their location if you pop back up again quickly to utilize this information. Coolshot is just always useful to have, especially with the 2 smalls. One thing I did notice in your video is you hesitate to use your cool shot. If you are not doing this to try and save CBills then you may want to be a little more easygoing with using it, having your full alpha power to finish off a mech quicker that may still hit you and hurt is always useful! :ph34r: Especially with your playstyle as long as your heat does not hit 0 (which it rarely does) then it has not been wasted, so press it often! ;)

Honestly, the modules that you use will ultimately be personal preferences more than anything else. I prefer to have slightly better sensor range, and cool shots. I'll take my cap accelerator whenever I'm running in groups where we play game mode: Any or Conquest because of the potential boost to my teams win probability. Or if I'm just feeling like I may do some captures in any game mode I'll take it. So yes, if you would prefer going the quick intel route I'll root for ya any day!

And yes, I know - I'm very frugal with my Cool Shots... ;-; It's not the purchase price that deters me from using them.. It's the fact that if I don't feel threatened enough by a mech or feel that I am not in a risky situation that could cause me to overheat and consequently get myself killed, I don't use it. They are strictly for emergencies.

But yeah - you're right I should really loosen up and let the coolant flow more often. XD

Edited by Cubivorre, 17 May 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#17 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

If the mech is not threatening you then he is probably threatening one of your team! :ph34r:

#18 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostWispsy, on 17 May 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

If the mech is not threatening you then he is probably threatening one of your team! ;)

I meant not threatening to me as if I was already engaged with him in combat. :ph34r:

For example, in my second video of the guide I classified the cicada as a low threat. I would probably not waste a cool shot on something I wasn't afraid of. The spider however, might have gotten me to use one if I was fighting him for too much longer.

Edited by Cubivorre, 17 May 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#19 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

PPC cooldown will be increased to 4 seconds in the next patch.

This will hurt us a LOT more than the big guys.

Edited by Ravennus, 17 May 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#20 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostCubivorre, on 17 May 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I meant not threatening to me as if I was already engaged with him in combat. :ph34r:

For example, in my second video of the guide I classified the cicada as a low threat. I would probably not waste a cool shot on something I wasn't afraid of. The spider however, might have gotten me to use one if I was fighting him for too much longer.

In one of them you and some of your team where in the enemy base and trying to kill a Cat. You walked in behind him, had an easy shot to finish him off quickly but your heat was high and you held off on the coolshot, so instead of quickly finishing him and moving on to kill the rest quicker he lived longer and took your time as well as got a few extra shots off on your team. Was not a game changing thing this time but it can turn out that way a surprising amount, so I find it better to get used to not hesitating so you do not miss moments when they do make the difference. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users