Reached #61 On The Leaderboard Using Hexa Mg J-Dd. This Is My Comprehensive Guide And Feedback

48 replies to this topic

#1 Alternate22

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

...and feedback. Well I damn ****** on the title. Any mod want to add on "feedback" to the end of that please?

Proof of tourney spot: http://i.imgur.com/BKO8GKG.jpg

Credentials and Purpose:

For reference, I am the maker of video Heavy Breakfast Machine Gun, made before the recent rebalancing patch (I have a second set of kill reels on the way for after). I've used my J-DD build extensively since then and have a great deal of feedback to provide after 400+ matches using them and close to 30k in damage with them (Proof: http://i.imgur.com/aR7zF0p.png). I'm writing this solely from a pugging point of view, as I've yet to have a chance to use them in a premade or competitive league (though I would very much cherish an oppurtunity to do so if anyone out there is willing).

Additionally, I apologize for the wall of text. There is no Tl;dr as I did say "Comprehensive" on the title. If there's enough demand, I can make a video of all this instead to summarize the key points.

With this Guide, I am hoping to shed a bit of light on these strange, mysterious weapons as well as give tips on when they are useful and how they are best used. I ask that you leave your preconcieved notions of these weapons, stay a while and listen stranger.

When should I use a Machine Gun?

As a PRIMARY Weapon:

You should only use machine guns as a primary weapon when you can:

* Mount at least five of them.
* Have around at least around 60 center torso forward armor.
* Capable of going above 80KPH.
* Have the tonnage to put on a mid-long range weapons system

The combination of all three turn MGs from mediocre to absolutely deadly, as 6 machine guns (depending on your ping - more on this later) can give you a combined effective DPS close to that of an AC20 for half the weight and most importantly ZERO heat.

Right now only the J-DD can effectively wield the power of this gun at close range. It is recommended to pair it with a set of long range weapons like ER Large Lasers. This is my current J-DD build for reference: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7dd79a97653fbae

As a SUPPLEMENTARY Weapon:

* If you lack 6 ballistic slots, but have 3 or greater
* Have a reliable, mid-long range primary weapon system to work with
* Capable of going above 50KPH
* Have a decent amount of armor (40 or above center torso)

You should use Machine Guns as a supplementary weapon to a single or multiple stronger weapon systems, preferably with high-heat weapons as a means to follow up a hot Alpha, using their reliable damage per second (2-2.4 depending on your ping) to pelter exposed sections and weapons systems, reducing your enemy's alpha capability.

Good mechs for using MGs as supplementary weapons are the Dragon 5-N, the JM6-S, the J-DD and in rare occasions a Hunchback 4G.

When should I NOT use a machine gun?

* If you have 2 ballistics slots or less
* If you go slower than 50 KPH
* If you go faster than 100 KPH (more on this later)
* Do not have the tonnage for other reliable mid-long range weaponry
* Have poor armor or an immediately targetted location.

The Hunchback 4G is at a questionable location regarding this. It has a decent amount of armor, tonnage and speed, but it's hunch is the immediate target priority when it comes to any engagement and the fact that you need to keep facing your opponent. I havent had a chance to try it post-patch, but it is on my priority list.

Mechs that are not recommended to use MGs, supplementary or primary are the Spider 5K, the Cicada 3C and any mech with less than 3 ballistics slots. Those slots are better used for an AC2+MLAS configuration instead where tonnage allows.

Okay, so I know when to use machine guns now. But HOW do I use them?

There are two distinct styles of play that revolve around machine guns. The Tackler and the Predator

The Predator is my favored play style as I'm mostly in PUGs. It involves waiting patiently in the match and using superior speed to analyze battle positions. The ERLLAS allow me to take pot shots at any range to most opponents, while my main goal is to use cover to close in. I will make a proper video showing this style of play later, but for the moment all I can offer is some tips:

* Pick targets and study your enemy's weapons. You want to go against the opponent with either:

a) Long range weapons
:) The least amount of short range weapons
c) High heat weapons (get in their faces and more often than not, they panic and overheat)

In that order specifically.

* Analyze what weapons your enemies have. Always prioritize taking out an obvious side torso Gauss. If they have lots of heavy weaponry, prioritize side torsos over center as chances are they are running an XL. If you are face to face with an Atlas with a full loadout of SRM brawler build - duck and cover! Use your superior speed to disengage.

* Your machine guns are most effective against other heavies and mediums in particular and you want to prioritize these two classes above all else. Avoid Stalkers and catapults where possible, as their round center torsos spread out your damage too much and reduce effectiveness. If attacking these two mechs, focus on the cockpit (Catapults) or getting behind them (Stalkers). The MG is especially useful against the cockpits in the Catapults, as the spray catches it effectively.

* The most important tip of all - always try to keep your battles 1v1. At full health, a 6MG/2ER LL Jager has the power to take on even an Atlas using his or her speed. I have done this many, many times to even competent brawlers.

* If you see you are being engaged by a second person halfway through your fight, make your split second decision. If you can take down an opponent quickly (they are at the end of their health), keep going. Otherwise immediately find the nearest cover and run. Or alternatively take out the new individual if their health looks to be low. Its all down to situational awareness.

* If you've lost one side torso - dont panic! 3 MGs and 1 ERLLas still means you have 4.5 effective DPS to use. If your other side torso is still intact, you still have a lot more firepower to bring to bear.

* Regarding lights - usually it is far easier to use the machine guns against their legs, as hitting the centre torso is almost impossible, especially against the faster lights. but hitting both legs is far more effective, especially when combined with the ERLLas. There is nothing more frightening to lights than legs in red armor and it is very useful to getting them to run away.

The other role of the tackler is something I've had less time to do. Its best done when one is with large groups and it goes into a large melee brawl. Essentially its very simple and plain - focus fire on anything being attacked. You will neuter them the instant their armor is gone and remove them as a threat. This lets you prioritize and snap immediately to other mechs that may be flanking or firing on you. This is very good role for those using MGs as a supplementary weapon but does not fully utilize it's power as a primary weapon.

So about that feedback?

Well, this is the most important part of this post and something that I wish for people to take away with them - the fundamental problem with machine guns is surprisingly, not their damage. It is the fact that how they effectively apply their damage that is broken.

A 6 MG jager with 2DPS per MG would be utterly overpowered. I am not joking on this - I can, with a very decent chance of success, rip through highlanders and any heavy mech right now (even the flavor of the month builds) at close range and in a fight of full health vs full health because I have high speed, heat advantage, survivability, decent DPS (9 per second) and enhanced crits.

That said, Machine Guns do have their issues and they are as below from the highest priority to the lowest:

a) Machine Guns do not seem to be firing at full DPS: as it says on the tin. At high latencies (250+, which is where I normally play), there are occasions when you tap the fire button. See the fire animation - but not a single round of ammo has been used. There are consistent forum reports on this issue, suggesting that Machine Guns are not doing their intended full DPS currently. Fixing this would likely resolve many, many issues with the weapon currently.

^_^ Projectile Speed is too low: As of right now, Machine Guns have little synergy with other ballistics or energy weapons because they are a hybrid of stream (laser) and projectile weapons. Their hit registration however is very inconsistent as they do not go in the straight line that you see visually - yet sometimes do so. Just from a simple, design perspective having their projectile speeds (even if only visual) improve to be on par or better than an AC2 would allow greater ease of use, especially for new players that may be trying to aim at a target with a laser, but finding their bullets arcing backwards. It gets far, far worse when trying to fight at speeds of 100+ KPH, where aiming the constant stream can become very difficult even against barn sized targets.

c) The Cone of Fire is too wide: The cone of fire on machine guns needs to be much, much lower so they can actually be used in a precision context. Having most of hte DPS splash away from the curser takes away the skill of aiming precisely where you need it to be. They do, admittedly, serve a decent use when it comes to legging lights. I would however recommend a reduction of at least 50% if at al possible.

d) Damage is almost where it needs to be- despite what I said above, the damage does need to be upped to allow for Sub-6MG configurations to become a bit more viable. This is to be done ONLY if the MG fire rate fix does not allow them to gain widespread adoption. Even then a *Maximum* boost of 0.04 damage per projectile is recommended and no more, effectively bringing them up to 1.2 DPS. This broadens the scope of mechs that can adopt it as mainline weapons where they could only use them as supplementaries before.

And thats about it. I'll be editing up a full video on one of my MG matches later if I can.

To PGI: Please consider my above four points of feedback if at all possible. I highly recommending fixing up either :D or c) (preferably both, though) as this will make the most meaningful impact to gameplay with these weapons without changing your overall vision for them as crit weapons or making them too overpowered on the J-DD. Either way the patch has taken a step in the right direction and have made them at least reasonably usable weapons on one chassis.

Edited by Alternate22, 28 May 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#2 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

When should I use a Machine Gun?

Never.

/thread

#3 Alternate22

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostRoland, on 28 May 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

Never.

/thread

Why? :) Would you like to prove your point either in discussion, or perhaps if you'd desire - a duel?

Or perhaps, actually reading the thread and offering something more valuable to balance discussion?

Edited by Alternate22, 28 May 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#4 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

I honestly think this is one of those situations where you are preying on the PuG dynamic to make a point about weapons.

It's the same problem I see with LRM's.

Everyone who is saying they are overpowered or amazing just got done trashing someone who stood out in the open for 60 seconds taking salvo after salvo.

No offense to you, by the way.

#5 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

tbh i prefer replacing 1 with a gauss and adding a ppc for burst and range, but that's me.....

As for rof, it' certainly not 10 per sec, I've heard claims as low as 6-7although my own tests seem to be a fairly consistent 9 on a 250 or so ping.

The cone of fire is currently set at a cicadas ct @90m, range is a huge consideration when using these things and sisemic sensors will probably be the death of them when they become more widespread (the sensors that is)

Edited by Ralgas, 28 May 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#6 Alternate22

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 28 May 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

I honestly think this is one of those situations where you are preying on the PuG dynamic to make a point about weapons.

It's the same problem I see with LRM's.

Everyone who is saying they are overpowered or amazing just got done trashing someone who stood out in the open for 60 seconds taking salvo after salvo.

No offense to you, by the way.

I will agree with this: it requires more experimentation. Hence why I've mentioned I would like to try in a much more premade environment. They are actually decent weapons - but only when you have six of them and have a very niche playstyle that takes a lot of patience to develop. Time is unfortunately a rare luxury in the meta scene for anyone to explore.

tbh i prefer replacing 1 with a gauss and adding a ppc for burst and range, but that's me.....

As for rof, it' certainly not 10 per sec, I've heard claims as low as 6-7although my own tests seem to be a fairly consistent 9 on a 250 or so ping.

The cone of fire is currently set at a cicadas ct @90m, range is a huge consideration when using these things and sisemic sensors will probably be the death of them when they become more widespread (the sensors that is)

I mentioned this in my post as well. It is the *biggest* issue with machine guns right now. But even without the full 10 Shots per second, I am doing very decently and happily with them. Before we talk about damage or tweaking, this needs to be fixed, along with projectile speed and the cone of fire preferably. Damage wise they could actually be around perfect, but the above three factors are affecting it severely enough to cloud the actual issue.

Edited by Alternate22, 28 May 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#7 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

61 is ight.. nothign to brag about really

#8 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

I manged 37th in the assault class of the tournament 3 large lasers 1 gauss rifle and some jumpy jets.
i never use MG's on any of my builds.

i did creep up to 31st and a good match would had put me in the top 30 alas my body failed and i needed sleep but 37 is fine with me
Posted Image

Edited by bloodnor, 28 May 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#9 Alternate22

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostTennex, on 28 May 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

61 is ight.. nothign to brag about really

It isn't - except it was accomplished only using MGs/ERLL and a very small gameplay timeframe in which to accomplish it (and a very tiny pool of people given I play at prime times EU). So yes, I would say it is worth something when I can do it as a mediocre player that otherwise placed >100 in the last tournament.

It isn't so much the rank as it is trying to provide a guide for people that want to use this weapon - but end up using it ineffectually. The basic facts are: a) you need six MGs for them to be effective as a primary weapons systems along with significant frontal armor. ;) you need at least 3 for them to be effective as a supplementary weapons systems and finally c) there's a lot that needs to be fixed but its NOT damage!

This is comprehensive feedback on what i've found after 400+ matches of using these weapons consistently. They were borderline useless before - and now their actually borderline useable, potentially competitive weapons if they get a few more tweaks.

Edited by Alternate22, 28 May 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#10 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Not sure if you got my message, but I did, in fact, forward this ;)

#11 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Everyone seems to forget that MG's are not strictly for anti-infantry, there are some designed to punch through armored vehicles, and as such they are larger caliber and made for anti-vehicle warfare.

#12 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 28 May 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Not sure if you got my message, but I did, in fact, forward this ;)

There are a few really good LRM threads floating around here that could use similar treatment. But glad to see you are giving this to the devs.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 28 May 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Not sure if you got my message, but I did, in fact, forward this :)

So, Garth's saying this is finally a thread that he approves. You know, everyone has selective memory, but this takes the cake.

Yet, all of these points have been mentioned in the consolidated MG thread, but this one is accepted? This is why people don't take you serious Garth.

#14 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Here's my heavy build guide for Mech Tournament, 2 MG's :

#15 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostAlternate22, on 28 May 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

You should only use machine guns as a primary weapon when you can:

* Mount at least five of them.
* Have around at least around 60 center torso forward armor.
* Capable of going above 80KPH.
* Have the tonnage to put on a mid-long range weapons system

So that leaves... The JM6-DD as the only 'mech that should use MGs as a primary weapon.

As a SUPPLEMENTARY Weapon:

* If you lack 6 ballistic slots, but have 3 or greater
* Have a reliable, mid-long range primary weapon system to work with
* Capable of going above 50KPH
* Have a decent amount of armor (40 or above center torso)

CTF-1X, ILYA, JM6-S, DRG-5N, HBK-4G

When should I NOT use a machine gun?

* If you have 2 ballistics slots or less
* If you go slower than 50 KPH
* If you go faster than 100 KPH (more on this later)
* Do not have the tonnage for other reliable mid-long range weaponry
* Have poor armor or an immediately targetted location.

SDR-5K, CDA-3C, RVN-4X, CDA-3M, BJ1, BJ1-DC, CN9-A, CN9-D, WANG, HBK-4H, TBT-7K, DRG-1C, DRG-1N, FANG, FLAME, CPLT-K2, JM6-A, CTF-1X, CTF-2X, CTF-3D, MISERY, HGN-732, HGN-733, HGN-733C, HEAVY METAL, AS7-D, AS7-D-DC, AS7-K, AS7-RS

So... Out of 35 'mechs capable of mounting MGs, 29 shouldn't, 5 could as secondary, and a single 'mech can use it as primary, did I understand you right?

Anyone else thinks it's okay to give the JM6-DD a bit more oomph to the 6MG+2ERLL build if it means the MG gets to be viable for at least some of those 29 'mechs above?

Especially the lights that don't have the capability to put anything else in their ballistic slots.

#16 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Poststjobe, on 28 May 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

So that leaves... The JM6-DD as the only 'mech that should use MGs as a primary weapon.

CTF-1X, ILYA, JM6-S, DRG-5N, HBK-4G

SDR-5K, CDA-3C, RVN-4X, CDA-3M, BJ1, BJ1-DC, CN9-A, CN9-D, WANG, HBK-4H, TBT-7K, DRG-1C, DRG-1N, FANG, FLAME, CPLT-K2, JM6-A, CTF-1X, CTF-2X, CTF-3D, MISERY, HGN-732, HGN-733, HGN-733C, HEAVY METAL, AS7-D, AS7-D-DC, AS7-K, AS7-RS

So... Out of 35 'mechs capable of mounting MGs, 29 shouldn't, 5 could as secondary, and a single 'mech can use it as primary, did I understand you right?

Anyone else thinks it's okay to give the JM6-DD a bit more oomph to the 6MG+2ERLL build if it means the MG gets to be viable for at least some of those 29 'mechs above?

Especially the lights that don't have the capability to put anything else in their ballistic slots.

You spent more time trying to count all the mechs this guide applies to? /clap

If only PGI could count the numerous threads and posts about MGs being underpowered.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 28 May 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

You spent more time trying to count all the mechs this guide applies to? /clap

If only PGI could count the numerous threads and posts about MGs being underpowered.

If only they noticed the 50-page THREADNOUGHT that's been around for months.

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostFupDup, on 28 May 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

If only they noticed the 50-page THREADNOUGHT that's been around for months.

Well, it's only there like many different threads on this board... PGI's a great hoarder and they like these threads collecting dust.

Edited by Deathlike, 28 May 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#19 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

I think I'm at the point where I wish PGI would auction off like "A DAY BEHIND THE SCENES AT PGI". I think i would get a 2nd mortgage on my house to go up there and see what the hell goes on.

#20 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Poststjobe, on 28 May 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Well, the 6 MG Spider suddenly sounds viable! :)

But seriously though, I think there is a hidden middle finger somewhere.

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 28 May 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

I think I'm at the point where I wish PGI would auction off like "A DAY BEHIND THE SCENES AT PGI". I think i would get a 2nd mortgage on my house to go up there and see what the hell goes on.

This should resemble something between two epic movies... Half Baked and Office Space.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users