MW4 on Windows 7 x64

16 replies to this topic

#1 UruzZero

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationRight behind you! *Evil Laugh*

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

So I still haven't gotten my invite and to kill the pain I spent an afternoon digging through my storage unit and pulled out my old MechWarrior 4 Vengeance game. It installed with a few .dll errors which were easily rectified and I finally got to the main menu. I try to launch graphics settings or campaign and the game crashes with an unspecified error. But no worries! I'll just load up a copy of XP on a virtual machine. But wait! The Razer Blade doesn't support VT-X! Anyways does anyone have any idea how to fix the random crash? Has anyone else tried installing it in windows 7 x64? If so how did you do it?
Thanks!
Artilance

#2 Dexter Tripod

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

*sigh* This was exactly what I was planning to do when I got home from work today...hopefully there will be a solution by then. ;)

#3 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

Even better, download MW4 Mercs from Mektek. Its free here. It has all the updates MS and Mektek has produced over the past 10 years and you will still find people playing on the MP servers.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 07 June 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#4 UruzZero

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 07 June 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Even better, download MW4 Mercs from Mektek. Its free here. It has all the updates MS and Mektek has produced over the past 10 years and you will still find people playing on the MP servers.

If this works you'll be my new best friend xD

#5 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

I had problems with mine at first and I have Win 7 x64. I actually DL'd a torrent (I know, but I own the disks) and used daemontools to install and it worked fine for me after some patches that are out there (they were in the torrent, that's why i got it, all of them in one place).

Edit: I was talking about MW4 vengeance, I also do not have anything checked in the compatibility tab in properties. The patches were MW4 Update 2 and a no-cd patch, it works much better without cd. It also contained the patches for Black Knight. They all work on my system. Acer 4gb ram, Dual3.2, Nvidia, x64 win 7

Edited by Zekester81, 07 June 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#6 UruzZero

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

What about vengeance? Is there something like that for it?

#7 SheepsBane1q

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

I've looked into it but I haven't found anything for vengence, also to state the obvious MW4 doesn't play well with Crossfire/SLI for those with premium builds like myself you'll need a limiter, if You don't have one already. If you don't know what Crossfire or SLI is you probably don't have it.

#8 UruzZero

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Think optimus will have issues with it? If not then I should be good. Never played mercenaries so it might be fun

#9 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostArtilance Amadeaus, on 07 June 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

If this works you'll be my new best friend xD

yeah, follow the directions on the link, Ive done it 3 or 4 times for myself and my sons' PCs and it works. You will need to open ports on your firewall / router but thats normal for that game.

#10 UruzZero

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 07 June 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

yeah, follow the directions on the link, Ive done it 3 or 4 times for myself and my sons' PCs and it works. You will need to open ports on your firewall / router but thats normal for that game.

Holy crap it worked! Thanks so much!

#11 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Good to hear! Have fun with it. Hope to see you on the servers!

#12 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 07 June 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

perhaps you could help out a slightly technically challenged mechwarrior... which link do I click on once I'm on that page in order to dowload MW4 Mercs (assuming I already have MW4 downloaded on my computer but have never played MW4 Mercs).

#13 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Ok, MW4 Mercs is a stand alone game and not an expansion for Veng like BlackKnight is so you will have to install Mercs as a new game. Go here and skip down to where it says "1. Go to the following URL: http://www.mektek.ne...downloads-r1204". Thats where you dl the MTX client which will install the base game then you install the updates that bring it up to the current version.

#14 corpse256

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNebraska, USA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have original copy of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries and mine works fine without having to download MekTek's version of the game. Just install and play had no problems except for the first time starting to make dll files but hey that's with any old xp game. I've been playing other games rather than MW4 Mercenaries been hooked on that Bang Bang Racing on the PSN and Torchlight(hate that Torchlight is single gosh, dumb single player games). I'm sure the MekTek version is good but I'd rather not play with MekTek's made up machines of death and stick with the regular stuff. MekTek is kinda mean to modders interested in the engine, but hey its licensed by Microsoft and they were given permission to play with the engine? Never figured that out. Anyways...

Never tried MW4 on Windows 7 yet but if you have no other choice I guess go with the link.

#15 LAPTOPTOPLAP

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

I agree with first post.......................

#16 abetterpilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLouisville,Kentucky

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

im sure you will have to at least do any updates from mektek if you plan on playing in our servers. the whole game is free anyway

#17 Shrike777

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

keep getting a nested excepttion error or a cannot display fullscreen error

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users