Paying Mc To " Bounty Master " A Non-Hero Mech ( Add A Small, But Permanent C-Bill Boost After Unlocking Master Status)

52 replies to this topic

Poll: Paying MC to Heroize a non-Hero Mech (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you favor the suggestion presented in the OP

1. yes (115 votes [82.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.14%

2. no (22 votes [15.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.71%

3. abstain from voting (3 votes [2.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

This is from Ask the Devs 31 Answers:

View PostBryan Ekman, on 08 February 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Prosperity Park - Would the Game Staff be willing to consider an option for players to "Heroize" their favorite non-Hero Mechs, in such a way that Users could pay #MC to permanently increase the End Mission c-bill payout by some value between 5 ->15% for that particular variant?
A: Interesting idea, anything is possible.

Here is my Official Suggestion. I would very much like a way to boost the C-Bill output of my favorite Mechs, in a way similar to the Hero Mechs.

I have a set of Founders Mechs that get a 25% C-bill boost, and Hero Mechs are available that give a 30% C-bill boost, but that creates a situation where I feel somewhat discouraged from using my other Mechs whenever I'm trying to save up some C-Bills for my next purchase. Yes, I can use Premium Time to increase my earnings, but I then still feel obligated to use my Hero/Founders Mechs in order to take full advantage of the increased earnings.

I'm suggesting that we be given an option to throw MC at the regular Mechs to anoint them with a permanent C-Bill boost, like a Hero Mech, just not as much of a boost because it's not an actual Hero.

Since "Hero Mechs" are supposed to be infamously powerful forces to be reckoned-with, I believe that any kind of upgrades to your non-Hero Mechs should only be possible after "Mastering" and unlocking the additional Module Slot for the variant in question. That prerequisite would make sure that only seasoned warriors are passing themselves off as genuine hot shots who deserve a bigger paycheck ;-) Basically, I think once the additional Module Slot is unlocked, the user may be presented with a menu option to Upgrade their Mech for (let's arbitrarily say) 1,000 MC and receive a permanent 10% C-bill increase for each match played... or something like that.

Think of it as not just Mastering your Mech; You're Bounty Mastering it! There ya go... you Master your Mech with XP, then you use MC and bribe some folks to upgrade your Mech to Bounty Master and increase your c-Bill earnings.

Prices/payouts are negotiable... but I think you get my drift. What do people here think? Community comments are welcome, please post away!

(edit - Poll away, too!)

Here's a visual to represent my idea, where unlocking the Cash Out skill for 1,000 MC would grant you a 10% C-Bill Boost [or something like that].

Posted Image

Of course, this idea wouldn't go in until after UI 2.0, but this is just a visual.

Editwo: w00t, lots of feedback on this! ;)

Several points have been brought up in the thread recently, so I will take a shot at the soapbox:

- Perhaps a different name might be a good thing... since this idea is related to nothing more than getting paid more C-Bills, it can't be earned through Skill, alone, and it can only happen after you Master a Mech, then the name of this function can be changed from "Heroizing" to something that sounds more financial; like achieving "Bounty Master" status.

-The Proposed Idea is to grant a smaller C-Bill Boost than a Hero Mech because the regular Mechs are really just that... Regular. Providing a way to give them a huge C-Bill Boost would not only detract from the Values of genuine Hero Mechs, but it would make this idea too expensive (I anticipate Paying Players will want to "Heroize" any/every Mech they wind-up Mastering and unlocking the Module Slot on because you only unlock those 21,500 point Slots on Mechs that you intend on using heavily)

-This particular idea is not related to subscription models or anything like that because that discussion is more regarding how Premium Time is implemented and stuff like that. My idea, here, is a stand-alone concept related to improving the per-match C-Bill output of individual Mechs by purchasing Mech-specific upgrades. Suggestions regarding subscriptions and stuff would be a different topic of conversation than this thread.

-I would not, at this time, involve the movement of Hardpoints with this idea because I am presenting a non-combat-related performance boost... in this case, it performs better at raking in C-Bills. Once you begin to allow customization of hardpoints, you get into a situation where every single variant has to be combed-over by the Devs to make lists of allowed/disallowed hardpoint configurations based on how they affect combat performance... which would require tons of testing... that would have to be part of a different Suggestion Thread.

-I am suggesting that this cost MC and not be available with C-Bills because it's an End-Game feature that would reward people for continuing to spend more money on the game after they have already spent a significant amount of time and resources into the Leveling of that Mech. It would give Paying Players an option to make their Mastery Experience more worthwhile and improve the productivity of their Favorite Mechs. This is similar to the idea of paid Premium Time; you can't buy C-Bill boosts with C-Bills.

-More than 1 person has suggested a Scaled System. This may be an option, but as my idea as presented required spending MC to gain a C-Bill boost, a scaled system would require multiple MC expenditures to scale the ladder, and eventually cause regular Mechs to approach the economic value of Hero Mechs. For one, any scaled system would have to assume that you can't upgrade to a full "Hero mech Bonus" and for two, it'd have to be affordable. I am not attempting to propose a way to make Regular Mechs as valuable as Hero Mechs... that would be inappropriate, I think, as it may conflict with the purpose of Hero Mechs as created by the game staff. Also, I want to make it easy, simple, and affordable for folks to Heroize numerous Mechs in their Mechbay. A scaled system might be better for a different game Suggestion, such as something that has to do with unlocking things with XP or stuff like that. My idea, in this thread, is for a simple Pay-for-Cbill-Boost scheme to supplement your Premium Time, or for when you want to grind for c-bills using something that's not a bonafide Hero Mech.

-Since this is Paid-Content, it might be cool if "Heroizing" your Mech came with some kind of blingbling cockpit item such as a money clip, or hanging Gold Chains... ;)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 27 June 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#2 TOPGUN BareBack

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

WTB poll.

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostTOPGUN BareBack, on 12 March 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

WTB poll.

+Poll! ;)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 March 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#4 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

1000MC for a 10% boost is pretty lame, but I like the idea.

#5 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

So then every mech you fight will be Hero, fail.

#6 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Are you suggesting that we should be able to identify such "hero mechs" on the battlefield? Or is this basically like buying permanent premium time for a single mech?

Personally, I'm rather indifferent to this idea unless it involves something more than semi-premium time. There would have to be something more tangible, like restricted camo patterns and decals, free upgrades (i.e. no more paying to add or remove heat sinks), extra modules, or something else.

View PostWerewolf486, on 12 March 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

So then every mech you fight will be Hero, fail.

How is that a problem?

Edited by Alistair Winter, 12 March 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 March 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Are you suggesting that we should be able to identify such "hero mechs" on the battlefield? Or is this basically like buying permanent premium time for a single mech?

Personally, I'm rather indifferent to this idea unless it involves something more than semi-premium time. There would have to be something more tangible, like restricted camo patterns and decals, free upgrades (i.e. no more paying to add or remove heat sinks), extra modules, or something else.

At this time, I'm just suggesting the semi-premiumness. I am trying to keep c-bill bonuses seperate from other cosmetic or equipment features. I think it'd be a way for people who own both Regular and Hero Mechs to avoid that feeling of:

"Man, I love my Cataphract-4X... but my Ilya Muromets gets me more money and I'm saving up for a 300XL engine...

Ugh... should I even run my 4X if I'm trying to save up C-bills?

Instead, it would encourage people to do 2 things - 1. People would pony up more cash for the game and support the Development Process (because who doesn't like more CashBack?) and 2. People would not have any reserves about running the Mech they want to run, when they want to run it. If they implemented my proposal, I would Heroize every single Mech that I master and let them take my money.

I think my proposal would increase user enjoyment and increase the game's funding with little programming needed... just adding a 10% C-Bill Boost if you chuck some MC at your Mech after you unlocked it's additional Module Slot.

It's be impossible to accuse this of being Pay-to-Play, Pay-to-Win, or any other fell marketing acts because it doesn't affect combat or loadouts and it's not related to unlocking any additional Mech features other than just c-bills.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 30 March 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#8 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'd do this in a heartbeat.
I LOVE the Hunchbak-4SP, the Jager 6-A, the Atlas D-DC (I don't use ECM though), and the Awesome 8-V.

I'd like something higher than 10% though.
How about something like:
500 MC gets you a 5% bonus, with each additional 'investment' earning you more of an iconic status on the battlefield, increasing your fellow pilots' morale, thus making the people paying you give you more money to keep piloting that mech.
(NOTE: this is trying to make it sound like it has an actual explanation behind it, solely for the purpose of immersion.)

The bonus to CB maxes out at 20% though, so they aren't as good as founder's mechs, and hero mechs are still much better.
If you only want a 5% bonus, you shell out 500 MC. If you want the full bonus, it's 2000 MC for 20%.

The reason I didn't suggest increments of 1% bonuses up to and including 20% is because that would be a lot more coding for PGI to have to implement. Hell, even 4 more levels might be to much. Though I'd imagine there would be some kind of flag-counter being tripped if this went through.
Something like:
while:

iconic_mech == true

return fame_level

if:

fame_level == 1

then:

CB_bonus == 5%

elseif:

fame_level == 2

then:

CB_bonus == 10%

elseif

fame_level == 3

then:

CB_bonus == 15%

elseif

fame_level == 4

then:

CB_bonus == 20%

(Or something akin to that, probably with much more complex coding, but a same general result; it's been a while since I last took a programming class.)

I also completely agree with the 'you need to master the variant first' rule, as even though it requires people to invest a lot of time in this game before they can do this, it also rewards people who play more, and who, by extension, are more 'loyal' players of the game.
(And yes, I know that many people have jobs which don't let them play when they want. Not trying to make you sound like bad players, just ones who don't play as much. *shrug* I don't have much to work with here in the way of this idea.)

#9 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yes! This idea deserves a yes for the Battlemaster pun in the OP alone.

#10 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

I would like that.

#11 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 30 March 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

"Man, I love my Cataphract-4X... but my Ilya Muromets gets me more money and I'm saving up for a 300XL engine...

Ugh... should I even run my 4X if I'm trying to save up C-bills?

Exacty how I feel about my DDC and 3L.

#12 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Would be awesome. I'd love to have a perv-mobile hero.

#13 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

500,000 XP and 1,000 MC for lights, 2,000 for mediums, 3 for heavys, 4 for assaults, to create your own hero mech, and it gives you a 25% cbill bonus in matches and perhaps some unique hero skin?

#14 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostDegeneratePervert, on 30 March 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Would be awesome. I'd love to have a perv-mobile hero.

Wait, is there a "Windowless 1973 Chevy Van with Ice Cream Truck Stickers" mech that got released while I wasn't looking?

:P

On topic:

Kinda like this idea. Especially the tiered "fame points" option above. Not sure how I feel about restricting colors or patterns, but maybe some sort of decal indicator, once decals are live?

#15 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

50 MC per ton (so an AWS would be 4000 MC) for 30% bonus.

Hero Mechs are 65 MC per ton and you get the cool paint job.

#16 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

If I'm not wrong devs recently stated that's something they are really considering, although without any known ETA. I'd probably do this on few of my favourites, albeit the risk of seeing them crippled when some new ballast kicks in it's nigh.

#17 IrrelevantFish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I like this idea, and I was about to propose it on another thread, though I think the fee should be a percentage of the variant's or chassis' MC cost (and a significant one, at that). However, I do have a few concerns that caused me to vote "abstain":
  • it would reduce the divide between hero and standard mechs
  • it would be a one-time investment but would garner many of the benefits that require a premium account
  • it would increase players' ability to earn CB and thus potentially reduce the use of MC to purchase standard mechs/equipment
However, my opinion is that the potential loss of profits from the above issues would be far less than the potential profitability of providing this option, for the following reasons:
  • If premium account bonuses stack with the "heroizing" bonus, there's good reason to buy both.
  • If the "heroizing" bonus is less than the hero, founders, or premium bonuses, those who are in an either/or position will still have ample reason to go for those over "heroization."
  • Most people I know don't buy hero mechs for the bonuses, even though they often use them for those bonuses.
  • Most of the people I know who buy hero mechs and premium time are not in the either/or position. To a large degree, the more chances they have to buy stuff, the more stuff they'll buy.
  • A lot of the people I know who don't buy hero mechs or premium time would spend money on heroizing.
Unfortunately, I would very much like the ability to heroize a few of my mechs, so my objectivity is questionable. ;)

#18 Space Odin

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I completely agree with the OP. I have a founders catapult and a flame that I play religiously by myself so I can maximize my cbill earnings and then switch to more competitive mechs when I play with my lance. I'd like to be able to play the mech I enjoy and make cbills too.

Although to be fair I love my founders catapult even though most people dont, oddly.

#19 Space Odin

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would like to add that I think it would be cool if you were able to name your hero mech and have it show in match like the current heroes do. They could add the normal designation to the mech so people could still tell what it is like...

CATA-"VALKYRIE"-C1

Valkyrie being my name for my heroized catapult c1.

This would make a lot of people more willing to spend money on it I think.

#20 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostIrrelevantFish, on 31 March 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

I like this idea, and I was about to propose it on another thread, though I think the fee should be a percentage of the variant's or chassis' MC cost (and a significant one, at that). However, I do have a few concerns that caused me to vote "abstain":
  • it would reduce the divide between hero and standard mechs
  • it would be a one-time investment but would garner many of the benefits that require a premium account
  • it would increase players' ability to earn CB and thus potentially reduce the use of MC to purchase standard mechs/equipment
However, my opinion is that the potential loss of profits from the above issues would be far less than the potential profitability of providing this option, for the following reasons:
  • If premium account bonuses stack with the "heroizing" bonus, there's good reason to buy both.
  • If the "heroizing" bonus is less than the hero, founders, or premium bonuses, those who are in an either/or position will still have ample reason to go for those over "heroization."
  • Most people I know don't buy hero mechs for the bonuses, even though they often use them for those bonuses.
  • Most of the people I know who buy hero mechs and premium time are not in the either/or position. To a large degree, the more chances they have to buy stuff, the more stuff they'll buy.
  • A lot of the people I know who don't buy hero mechs or premium time would spend money on heroizing.
Unfortunately, I would very much like the ability to heroize a few of my mechs, so my objectivity is questionable. ;)

Your points are exactly why I originally thought of something that was a lesser-payout than a Hero/Founder's Mech, but still stacked with the Premium Bonus like the Heros/Founders do. It would be an attempt to add End-Game/Replay Value to the Standard Mechs without obsolescing the Hero/Founders Mechs, while making the Premium Time attractive for amplifying the additional 10% earnings.

My mind's numbers were something like a 10% C-bill boost (1/3 of a Hero's boost) that costs somewhere around the Original MC price of the Mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users