Firebrand Builds

16 replies to this topic

#1 Treye Snow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot where I want to be

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

So, Firebrand came out yesterday. Saw a TON of them in virtually every single drop over the course of about 7 hours of game time. All fizzled horribly and not a single build that I encountered was more than moderately dangerous. (Dual AC/20/Gauss/PPC boating withholding)

I personally drive this as my main mech, and there is nothing on the field I cannot kill if it's not any of the aforementioned cheese builds currently in play.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...507ea69c1893659

I've only ran out of ammo entirely once, and routinely pull 500+ dmg per match, if not more if it's a good game. I want the FB because I feel it's a good investment if I can find a good build since I do so well with the other JM6's. Problem is, nobody today (that I've faced) has given the FB a good name for itself.

So, on to the FIREBRAND builds. Thoughts, ideas, etc, all welcome.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e2f1c281fc4dfff

AC5's and LL's on separate groups, AC's for moving targets, all 4 for a stationary or non-lead target. ML's + LL's for close range.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f42457926400183

Pure sniper build. Again, AC's and PPC's on different groups for different firing angles. No close range weapons though so, better make damn sure you can handle yourself without ML's.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...509585e4988cb7e

Pure energy build. Lots of DHS's for sustained PPC fire or close range ML spam. Max engine, near max armor. Plays a lot like a K2, but with a pretty paint job. My least favorite build idea simply because other mechs can do the same job, but better. Though, 30% c-bill is nice..

That's really the only builds I came up with worth sharing. There were other combos but they all felt better on paper than in practice, one would say.

Any builds yall can offer?

#2 SpartanFiredog317

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 176 posts
  • LocationMighty MO

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

Cannae Wait to try this out: 6 ML, 2 UAC5, the 6 ML will add an awesome first strike, followed by a rain of led that will "blot out the sun!" .... Think I'll call it the 'Xerxes'

#3 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Old faithful

LAAAAZORZ

I love this thing.

#4 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostSpartanFiredog317, on 05 June 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Cannae Wait to try this out: 6 ML, 2 UAC5, the 6 ML will add an awesome first strike, followed by a rain of led that will "blot out the sun!" .... Think I'll call it the 'Xerxes'

That's what I've been using, it works great as long as you don't fire the lasers too much and overheat.

#5 Buenaventura Durruti

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationsomewhere in space

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

i dont know how you manage to use only that small amount of ammo....

i used 2 builds that - depending on the map (when you got a more close-combat oriented build its logic that it wont be that awesome on a huge flat map without cover ) - did quite nice :
1) 2xlbx, 4 tons ammo, 4 m-lasers . the lbx doesnt need many tons of ammo to be destructive, the medium lasers can be used to add the needed punch when you end up having a center torso in front of you (m lasers in 2 groups a 2 lasers, both in chainfire - works perfect for a long time). if using a xl engine (i used it with my 330 xl sometimes) you can get behind the enemy quite often and ripp them apart. another advantage is that small mechs arent a problem -> you just break their tiny legs and the problem is solved

2) 2xac10, 2 x mlaser or 4 x small laser, std 260 engine. also nice, i prefer the ac10 instead of the uac, doesnt jam (i see to have some special skill to get it jammed especially when i need them) and, fired together, have the same damage effect as a ac20 but a better range.

and then a lot of different fittings, from dual ac2 with l lasers or ppc to dual ac5 . i also saw (and tried, for the fun) to use dual ac20....its a complete waste of tonnage and hardpoints, IF you manage to get close to the enemy (which is very much a thing of which map you end up in) you do by far not the damage many people seem to expect, and the chance to one-hit-rip off a leg from an assault or so....well i dont seem to be able to do it (nor were the other guys i played with)

mainly i decide what to use depending on what i can use with what engine, the dual lbx-fitting with a xl engine above 300 is awesome as you can outrun a LOT of fast mechs and get behind them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(this is my subjective oppinion, i dont claim this is the best you can fit nor anything...just in case another religious fanatic or so wants to start another pussyfight :))

#6 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

My Ilya with 3x UAC/5 can get by on 5-6 tons without much fear of running out.

Anything more and I tend to die to ammo explosions.

If you don't "spray and pray" you can get along with far less ammo than most seem to feel is sufficient.

About 2 tons per canon or launcher is what I generally aim for.

And the 6x MLas + 2x UAC/5 build is what I'll probably start with as well.

#7 Treye Snow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostBuenaventura Durruti, on 05 June 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

i dont know how you manage to use only that small amount of ammo....

i used 2 builds that - depending on the map (when you got a more close-combat oriented build its logic that it wont be that awesome on a huge flat map without cover ) - did quite nice :
1) 2xlbx, 4 tons ammo, 4 m-lasers . the lbx doesnt need many tons of ammo to be destructive, the medium lasers can be used to add the needed punch when you end up having a center torso in front of you (m lasers in 2 groups a 2 lasers, both in chainfire - works perfect for a long time). if using a xl engine (i used it with my 330 xl sometimes) you can get behind the enemy quite often and ripp them apart. another advantage is that small mechs arent a problem -> you just break their tiny legs and the problem is solved

2) 2xac10, 2 x mlaser or 4 x small laser, std 260 engine. also nice, i prefer the ac10 instead of the uac, doesnt jam (i see to have some special skill to get it jammed especially when i need them) and, fired together, have the same damage effect as a ac20 but a better range.

and then a lot of different fittings, from dual ac2 with l lasers or ppc to dual ac5 . i also saw (and tried, for the fun) to use dual ac20....its a complete waste of tonnage and hardpoints, IF you manage to get close to the enemy (which is very much a thing of which map you end up in) you do by far not the damage many people seem to expect, and the chance to one-hit-rip off a leg from an assault or so....well i dont seem to be able to do it (nor were the other guys i played with)

mainly i decide what to use depending on what i can use with what engine, the dual lbx-fitting with a xl engine above 300 is awesome as you can outrun a LOT of fast mechs and get behind them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(this is my subjective oppinion, i dont claim this is the best you can fit nor anything...just in case another religious fanatic or so wants to start another pussyfight :wub:)

See, I respect that and while I personally don't need more than 150 shots for 2xAC/5. someone else might. I make my shots count and I take my time when aiming so they hit and they hit where I want them to hit. As such, running out of ammo for me is rare, but I still do a -ton- of pinpoint damage. That's the beauty of ballistics in my opinion,

#8 Treye Snow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 05 June 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Old faithful

LAAAAZORZ

I love this thing.

I'm personally not a fan of Aysmmetrical builds, but your LAAAAZORZ build is pretty nice. I think I'd stick with AC5's but overall it's pretty nice. Good close range alpha and decent 600m+ capability.

#9 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostSpartanFiredog317, on 05 June 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Was "Custer" taken?

#10 HUcast

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aafb137870f28d9

Sometimes the simple things are the best.

#11 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

I didn't really change mine much. Downgraded the Medium Pulse Lasers to Medium Lasers and added another ton of AC2 ammo and one more heatsink.

I like the set up a lot.

#12 Cwiss

Rookie

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

340 xl engine with tweak 93kph
er ppc
ac 20
2x ml

You really haven't lived until you have an AC20 running around at this speed. Its a ton of fun and, at least for me, very effective.

#13 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostCwiss, on 06 June 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

340 xl engine with tweak 93kph
er ppc
ac 20
2x ml

You really haven't lived until you have an AC20 running around at this speed. Its a ton of fun and, at least for me, very effective.

My Yen Lo goes 106.9kph. You are absolutely right about how fun it is.

#14 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 06 June 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

I didn't really change mine much. Downgraded the Medium Pulse Lasers to Medium Lasers and added another ton of AC2 ammo and one more heatsink.

I like the set up a lot.

I tried a bunch of different options and am back to basically this as well (I keep the AC ammo where it is and add 2 heatsinks). Its a solid setup and has been working for me better than a lot of the franken mechs I've tried. Although I fixed my mouse also, and that made a world of difference (who'd have thought).

I also liked tossing a STD 265 in there and running a Rifleman build (2 MLAS, 2 LLAS, 2 AC 5 w/2 tons, CASE) as a slighlty less powerful but more durable option.

Edited by Finn McShae, 06 June 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#15 AntonToo

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostHUcast, on 06 June 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

I use very similar build but with 2 machine guns.

FIREBRAND 340XL 4LL 2MG

500-600 damage a game. Trick is to hit n' cover.

340XL 6xML with 1 Gauss was ok too.

Don't like any UAC5 builds in this mech though.

Edited by AntonToo, 11 June 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#16 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostHUcast, on 06 June 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

A Jager with no Dakka makes me sad. That said, looks like fun.

#17 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I run a rifleman.

I stripped the PPCs, AC2s and MPLs.

Replaced them with a LL and AC5 in each arm. 1 ML in each torso. So 2 LL, 2 AC5 and 2 ML.

kept the engine, 3 tons of AC5 ammo and +1 ton armor.

Kept the heat sinks and endo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users