Builds For Firebrand

53 replies to this topic

#1 Vadafallon

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

I saw a Firebrand yesterday and i want to copy his build. Not sure how to go about it though. He had 6 med laser and 2 ultra AC5's. I would might want to go with 6 pulse if i can. The way i look at it is the AC5s are for range and the lasers are the Oh **** someone is to close to me. Thoughts? Anyone else had any luck with any builds.

I have used the regular build it comes with so far and i have use 3 ppcs as well.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

6 med pulse is twice the weight of 6 normal medium lasers, 6 tons is a lot of weight.

something like this might work
http://mwo.smurfy.de...735da36985d2f01

Edited by Flapdrol, 05 June 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

I run 2 UAC5 and 2 Large Lasers, so you'd require 2 more tons for 6 medium pulses. You can do it I suppose, but it would be so worthless because you'll have to not only be slower but also probably only have room for 10 double heat sinks. That's just not enough for any form of consistent fire for 6 medium pulses.

Basically you're better off sticking with 6 standard mediums if you actually want to be effective.

#4 DLFReporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

3xPPC in a Firebrand stinks more than French Cheese in my book.
Try 2xLL and 2x AC5 or 2xUAC5as with 4 MLs... two weapon groups aren't that hard to master. ;)

#5 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

I played today with an outlandish build, and did really, really well....

XL245 Engine ( so be very, very mindful, your not a frontline brawler)
1 AC20
1 Gauss Riffle
5 Small lasers.
3 Ton Gauss rounds
3 Ton AC20 rounds

And .. holy cow does it make people duck their head at all ranges it seems.

Pretty slow, haven't unlocked speed tweak yet.

I also built this with a XL 225 engine for more armor and a ton or two more ammo for the the different systems.

But 5 small lasers punch for 15 damage, the exact same amount as the Gauss, and with little heat. This is a build that can last on Caustic and Tourmaline because its a low heat high damage build that can reach out to 600+ meters with its Gauss Rifle..

Pretty darn fun. I wing manned with an AC40 Jager DD this morning, and it was so very fun.
60 AC round damage, plus 15 Gauss to a target every 4 seconds. We dropped an Ilya and Cat 3D in like 15 seconds in face to face combat, they didn't know which way to turn. But was on a short bus team that the other 6 players all went under 100 damage, and we lost but holy cow did it work well while it lasted...550 damage me, 530 damage AC40 Jager.

Edited by Flak Kannon, 05 June 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#6 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

I haven't bought the mech, but I was coming up with something similar to CapperDeluxe.

I'm thinking something along the lines of: FIREBRAND

Might be a little hot, but you do a good amount of damage for the heat.

#7 Cwiss

Rookie

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Most fun I've had...

max engine 93 kph with tweak
er ppc
ac 20
2x ml

The speed really makes this build exceptionally fun.

#8 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostCwiss, on 05 June 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

Most fun I've had...

max engine 93 kph with tweak
er ppc
ac 20
2x ml

The speed really makes this build exceptionally fun.

Nice build.

I'm running a AC20, 5xML build that I like so far. Might try to tweak it a bit along the lines of a couple of the builds above. Overall, like this mech alot.

#9 thecrimsonchin8

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

My favorite build so far:

XL280
2x AC/5
2x LLas
4x SMLas

Cant remember the rest of the incidentals but its something like 12 DHS and 3-4 tons of AC/5 ammo depending on what fits.

I'm consistently doing ~600 dmg per game with this build and it does startlingly well against light mechs and is stellar fire support.

#10 Archon Adam Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 344 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

I replicated the original Rifleman... albeit with a lot more armour:

XL280
2x AC/5
2x LLas
2x MLas

Strong at any range, and quite heat efficient; good raw DPS from the AC's, but a strong Alpha with the LLas added - even stronger if all six weapons are fired.

#11 FERAL TIGER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 05 June 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I played today with an outlandish build, and did really, really well....

XL245 Engine ( so be very, very mindful, your not a frontline brawler)
1 AC20
1 Gauss Riffle
5 Small lasers.
3 Ton Gauss rounds
3 Ton AC20 rounds

You sir, I like your style.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the original build of the Firebrand? The only change I would have is to somehow upgrade the AC2's. But I might give your daring build a try.

#12 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I run with:

XL265
2 x AC/10s
4 MLs
1 AMS
12 DHS
Runs at 72km/h with speed tweak.

Cheers
Eboli

#13 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

i'm pretty happy with the firebrand, haven't gotten around to trying the rifleman loadout yet, have been running AC5s in my JM6-A, Gauss in my JM6-S, and AC20s or AC2s in my DD, so i thought i'd try out AC10s, i love AC10s, but they're a little awkward in their IS versions, so haven't really found a place for them other than one on my Cent CN9-A.

I'm running
2x AC10, 4 tons of ammo
4x MLas, 2 in torso, 2 in arms
XL 280 (stock)
14 double heatsinks, 10 from engine, 1 in engine slot, 3 in left and right torsos

the XL engine is obviously high risk/high reward, i generally either die in a fire from side torso coring in the first engagement (not really) or rack up 4-500 damage and 1-3 kills. this build obviously has lower alpha than the Gauss or AC40 builds, but its a lot more balanced with more ammo and speed, plus 4 MLas is much better for backup if/when you run out of ammo.

#14 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

FRANKENSTEIN ASYMMETRICAL DAKKA

I normally don't like Asymmetrical builds, but this one seems to work quite well for me. I've tried large lasers before, but the PPC synergises much better with the Dakka and gives you some nice punch to supplement the awesomely random torrents of UAC dakka. The 2 MLAS work well for drawing red hot graffiti over any lights getting in your face, and converge better being in the same location than they would if you were to split them between torsos.

If you drop the PPC you can add a couple of MLAS and try your hand at a standard engine, but I prefer the firepower and fragility of the XL.

Also, i've experimented with swapping out one of the UACs for a vanilla to try and gain even more frankensteinity (and a little more reliable dakka in the event of UAC jams) and have been pleasantly surprised.

If you're prepared to make sacrifices in the name of firepower, you can throw down some serious long range mixed PPC and dakka fire. I've done well with this, but you're really starting to sacrifice armour to get there.....

... so why not go all out and cram in some UACs. I've scored over 1000 damage in a match with that, and it can reliably throw out some monstrous damage... but only if you survive past anyone so much as glancing at you. I've had to amend my playstyle to be less of a walking tank of doom and more of a cowering, mewling opportunist, but I really, really enjoy it.

I love the Firebrand. It's just versatile.

#15 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostVadafallon, on 05 June 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

I saw a Firebrand yesterday and i want to copy his build. Not sure how to go about it though. He had 6 med laser and 2 ultra AC5's. I would might want to go with 6 pulse if i can. The way i look at it is the AC5s are for range and the lasers are the Oh **** someone is to close to me. Thoughts? Anyone else had any luck with any builds.

I have used the regular build it comes with so far and i have use 3 ppcs as well.

Not sure why you would want to use 6 medium pulse lasers?!

Many within the division i am in have adpoted this build that i picked out and it works a treat; Dual UAC/5, Dual Large Laser.

I highly recommend you try this. Medium lasers cut back on your firepower and range, you want maximum range on this baby.

Trust this build, it works so well... ....first round in it i got 4 kills and 800 damage. Even better, two of these together... :rolleyes:

#16 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

It makes me smile to see people are using the AC10s. Likewise, while everyone COULD just transfer over their AC40 jagers to a mech with a C-bill bonus and sweet paint scheme I'm glad most people posting here are trying to do something different.

#17 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

Anyone tried energy-only?

Fastbrand

Saw it one game but didn't try yet (the only XL340 i own runs my X5). 93,2 with tweak and lots of heatsinks.

#18 Count van Count

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

XL280
2 PPC
2 UAC5

A lot of fun :-)

#19 Coltaine

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

XL300
2 AC/5
6 MLAS
16 DHS
5t Ammo

You can also remove 2 MLAS and replace the AC/5 with UAC/5
I'm switching between both variants depending on my mood.

Edited by Coltaine, 11 June 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#20 Shamsterdam

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationTerra - Great Lakes Regional Field Battery

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Ghetto Supernova... http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2c658f10512d4ec
Just remember to save the torso lasers for a good opportunity and hope nobody notices your legs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users