Best (And Worst) Chassis For Xl Engine

51 replies to this topic

#1 Phashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBuckeye stuck in Michigan

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi all.

I'm looking for a comprehensive list of what chassis are "best suited" for XL engines, and what chassis are "bad" for XL engines. Factoring in things like hit boxes, size of side torsos, suseptability to damage, speed tradeoffs, and loadout capabilities.

For example, most seem to agree Stalkers are bad for XL due to speed and side torso size and exposure. What about all the rest?

Thanks.
Phashe

#2 TurboZombie

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

As a general rule of thumb, it is almost always a bad idea to put an XL in any kind of assault. They move so slowly that their side torso's get stripped and destroyed quickly. They are best with standard engines due to survivability. Lights are quite the opposite in most cases. They have such a small profile and can gain enough speed benefits from the (larger) XL that it is less of a concern. XL's work fairly well in mediums so long as you know how to spread out the damage to your arms instead of absorbing it all into your CT and side torsos. As far as specific chassis, Atlas and stalkers would be the worst to put an XL in. Lights could easily flank and destroy rear side torsos and destroy them quick. The awesome is probably the only acceptabe assault class for XL engines really, but part of that is because the whole mech is a CT with small side torsos. ;)

Jenners, spiders, ravens, comandos and cicadas all benefit heavily from XL engines. it allows the extra weight to have a little bit extra firepower which is always helpful in a light. Personally, I wouldn't put an XL in anything that I cant get over 100 in.

One mech that benefits from standard engines specifically is the centurion. They are notorious for being hard to put down when running standard engines. Skilled Cent pilots almost always only have a CT before they go down. They have big arms and a small CT.

#3 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

The Awesome is at the same time the best suitable model for an XL engine, because you gain such enormous advantages from torso twisting speed and the worst model, because your torso is one huge glaring target. Inserting an XL engine into an AWS means to get big opportunities, but to receive a heavy burden on your - despite improved - micro.

#4 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Good mechs for XL engines are:

- all lights: must have because of speed
- Cicada: same as lights
- Dragon: huge center hitbox and you will need speed
- Catapult: not necessary for speed but the side torsos are very hard to hit

Bad mechs for XL engines are:
- Atlas: everybody is aiming for the right side where the gun is
- Stalker: the sides are very easy to hit and you cant protect them with you "arms"
- Assault mech in general: almost ever will loose a side before cored
- Jaggermech. although it needs the tonnage the sides are very easy to hit
- Hunchback: the hunch on the side is the priority target here

On the other mechs it depends: if you can use the extra speed to stay in cover than it may be worth it. But you will always be more fragile than a mech without an XL. Also keep in mind than larger engines are less efficient than smaller one, so you will end up with less tonnage.
The Pretty Baby for example can go very fast with an XL 400 but is left with less free tonnage than an Dragon at the same speed (and is the larger target on the field).

#5 JackPoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

For me, the best is any light mech and the worst is the Catapult, doesn't matter what you do in a pult to avoid damage if your rolling an XL your free meat for the grinder, if you don't get headshot within the 1st 5 minutes of a game.

#6 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:36 AM

Best:

- Most Lights - except Spider 5V imo - and Ciciadas needs an XL to be functional.
- Centurions could use XL, but I feel very comfortable around STD250. You also lose your hedious zombie ability if you go with XL.
- Heavies also needs XL to achieve maximum speed/firepower, though some suggest Jagermech are better off with STD since it has large side torsos.
- Awesome 9M and PB definitely need a massive XL engine. Stalkers and Highlanders can do well with XL since their side torsos are so very small.

Worst:

- Hunchbacks.
- All 8-series Awesomes.
- All Atlas.
Barndoor side torso(s). That's why.

#7 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PostJackpoint, on 05 June 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

For me, the best is any light mech and the worst is the Catapult, doesn't matter what you do in a pult to avoid damage if your rolling an XL your free meat for the grinder, if you don't get headshot within the 1st 5 minutes of a game.

Are you joking? I run xl in both my c1 and k2 and I never die from side torsos exploding.

Edited by Snowcrow, 05 June 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostSnowcrow, on 05 June 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Are you joking? I run xl in both my c1 and k2 and I never die from side torsos exploding.

Then you're probably not torso twisting as much as people who die from side torsos exploding. It's not complicated.

#9 Phashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBuckeye stuck in Michigan

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

What i have gathered from the forum from a TORSO EXPOSURE view... subjective of course...

Best for XL:

- all lights.
- dragons
- catapults

Worst for XL:

- awsomes ( all or 8 series?)
- trebs
- jager
- atlas
- stalker
- centurion

Others?
-
-
-

Edited by Phashe, 05 June 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

I think xl engines work well in trend because I always died from my ct being cored. The side torsos are much smaller and the arms shield them.

#11 Skoaljaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAnywhere, USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

I think this can be answered by the pilot's play style and what they are trying to accomplish with their mech build. There are some things that work for others that might not work for you and vice-versus. In my opinion I think its more of a personal trial and error thing to see what works best for you. By all means study what works for others and listen to advice, but in the end, experiment and then make the informed decision for yourself.

#12 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Also the playstyle of an specfic loadout may change the whole overall feeling, as example Jagermech side torsos aren't hard to hit, but if you plan to fight at long ranges 500+ meters it may worth it specially if using cover.

but in general all mechs who can reach 130kph+ should mount an Xl to get the best speed possible with less tonnage needed.

also Dragons and Blackjacks (wich is like a mini Jager but even harder to aim for the torsos) seems to benefit very much of Xl engine usage.

P.S: murphy law states that if Dragons/Blackjacks receive 1st alpha in a side torso then ALL following impacts are going to such torsos even from long range shoots. :)

#13 ElysianHarbinger

Rookie

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 8 posts
  • LocationThe Cold North

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

XLs in most Assault Mechs is a horrible idea.
Heavy 'Mechs its ok. . . It all depends on play style.
Mediums 'Mechs can use them to tweek the weapons and defenses. [Except Hunchbacks]
Light 'Mechs if you don't run XL then your crazy.

#14 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

best for xl is AWS-9M and AWS-PB for sure(and only assaults that benefit from them), i run 9M myself and almost never die from side torso being destroyed, most of my deaths go from ct destruction, or its hard to determine since i have almost all armor stripped from mech excluding probably only one leg and one ST
its gives u much more advantages than disadvantages if u play smart :)
PS: idk if HGN have variant w the same engine cap as AWS-9M u can try run it same style as AWS-9M probably w more success since u can use jj to increase ur mobility to almost insane level

#15 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostBigMekkUrDakka, on 05 June 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

best for xl is AWS-9M and AWS-PB for sure(and only assaults that benefit from them), i run 9M myself and almost never die from side torso being destroyed, most of my deaths go from ct destruction, or its hard to determine since i have almost all armor stripped from mech excluding probably only one leg and one ST
its gives u much more advantages than disadvantages if u play smart :)
PS: idk if HGN have variant w the same engine cap as AWS-9M u can try run it same style as AWS-9M probably w more success since u can use jj to increase ur mobility to almost insane level

Highlander Cap it's 325 wich brings the mech to a 64 kph with skills maxed if i recall correctly. (i will only suggest fit XL in highlander in the 4x missile hardpoints (732 or 733 variant? ) to get free weight for a long range fire mech.

#16 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Another aspect for choosing an XL engine is fitting more heat sinks into the engine. You may just want to maximize the number of heatsinks, that fit into the engine, e.g. in any laser boat build including stalkers, awesome or any other mech.

#17 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Blackjacks are good candidates for XL imo. The side torsos are relatively small, so you usually die to CT hits.

Otherwise anything that is intended for fire support as opposed to brawling can use an XL. Stalkers, Jagermechs, Catapults, etc. can get a lot of extra weight for ammo and heatsinks with XL, but you need to be aware of your weakness and play accordingly.

#18 TheCrazySteve

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Unless you're running a mech with a stupdily small center torso (atlas/stalker/hunchback/centurian) you can usually get away with an XL.

The more you play, and the better you get at torso twisting, the more mechs you will begin dropping XL's and replacing with standards. Your builds may not look as amazing on paper, but the added survivability is a huge boon to your team, and usually by staying alive longer albiet with lesser weeapons, you're able to do the same damage.

I currently own 10 mechs (3l,3m,2h,2a). Only the lights and one of the mediums have an XL now, but when I started the distribution was about the opposite with only my two assaults having standards.

Edited by TheCrazySteve, 06 June 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#19 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

would using a XL engine in the highlander 733P a bad idea?

#20 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

From what I've played Treb are decent with XL's as a cataphracts. Wouldn't have one in a centurion though or hunchback. And none of the assaults would get one, not they wouldn't benefit but just they all have something in the side torso that is worth attacking beyond being a nice big target.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users