Lack Of Backspace Key Repeat Fix

21 replies to this topic

#1 Cavalcade

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

A couple of items of note: 1) Backspace key has been issue for months. Why? I've read a few dozen posts on this "forum" that have been posted (and closed mind you) about the Backspace key repeat issue and not a thing has been done about it; since February. This backspace bug (and it is a bug) IS THE MOST ANNOYING issue I have with MWO in recent memory. Anything in the policy that says we shouldn't type things that make kids see that "it's ok" to type like an i d i o t? 2) All those forum members who post a fistful of keystrokes to "make do" are exacerbating the penchant for development to keep ignoring a very core feature of a chat session; correcting your typo's, not the whole chat. Letting an issue like this slide along for months is rather disappointing and an apparent annoyance for many MWO players. Let the flaming begin...

#2 HarmAssassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI, USA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

The reason they haven't had time to fix this is simple.

They are devoting all of their significant programming resources into the development and implementation of new bugs. The current bugs aren't producing the level of frustration that they had hoped for, but don't worry the next batch will make up for it (you can even unlock even worse bugs by spending MC to unlock the upgrades).

#3 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostDestined, on 10 June 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I'm sorry, I would need some clarification: Are you referring to the fact that you can not hold down backspace to remove multiple letters at a time?

Yes..the same bug that's been around for the last 4-5 patches. You have to manually hit backspace on each letter, which is annoying when you're also trying to shoot mechs.

#4 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Destined, if people pressing backspace causes problems with this game, then somebody is not keeping up his/her skills. While I've played other games that had this restriction, it was always temporary, and fixed quite quickly.

#5 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

If keyboard spamming was a real problem worth addressing then color me surprised. I see other things that appear to be a more severe problem worthy of attention, now I realize the only reason these problems or bugs seem so apparent is because I am not be inundated with the real problem - keyboard spamming.
Seriously though if this is an intended fix I am saddened. Here is another instance where we suffer morons twice - once because they exist and we must deal with them anyway, and second (and most offensively) we then suffer the morons again because institutions like PGI make ridiculous policies to 'curb' ***** behavior which only serves to annoy, offend, and inhibit the non-moron community.

#6 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

If you want to delete everything you've just typed just press Shift+Home and then Delete or Backspace.

#7 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Either way, I'll pass the feedback along again.

Much appreciated, good sir. This is something I assumed was waiting to be fixed. If kb spamming is the cited problem, disabling the delete key's repeat function sounds like throwing gas on the fire. Delete key needs to be buffed!

Also some (if not all) the keys still have their normal repeat functions though, or else you would need to keep tapping wasd instead of holding them down, or firing weapons etc, but this may not be the case for chat I suppose.

#8 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostDestined, on 11 June 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Ah, I understand your frustration. The single-letter functionality has been marked "as designed" by the developers though, and likely will not be changed back. I believe it was related to spamming keys and flooding chat... but let me verify that when I get in.

Is this a joke? Every single game on the internet allows for the use of holding the backspace. Please fix this.

Let me give you an example. A player hits "y" by accident and continues to hit movment controls and types A LOT of random letter. He then has to manually delete each one while people are shooting at him. I dont think that's how it was "designed".

Edited by xZaOx, 11 June 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#9 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yes, this is irksome.

#10 Olem

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Indeed, spamming backspace in combat is a great way to get yourself killed with the current limitation.

#11 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

I normally just hit enter and be done with it, using backspace takes too long to delete 13 W's and 6 D's when im already heading in the wrong direction at full speed. The "single press" backspace probably contributes more to spam than helps it, as people like me would rather spam 3 lines of WASD than try and manually delete it.

Theres also that niggling bug where if your typing something and the game forces a view change (start of match, mech dies while typing, end of matchsummary) your text is removed from the screen and you continue typing in the "new" text field (usually All>) and when you press enter, the first half of what you typed appears in team chat (or all> if thats where you were typing originally) and the 2nd half appears in general chat. Or it gets lost completely.

#12 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

.... double ESC. It's closer to WSAD and doesn't send garbage to anyone's chat.

Note this means there's an even faster way to clear the chat input - much faster than backspace. I could understand if the repeating of other keys was disabled, but why the BACKSPACE?? How could you spam by deleting what you've typed?

Edited by Phaesphoros, 11 June 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#13 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Ah, I understand your frustration. The single-letter functionality has been marked "as designed" by the developers though, and likely will not be changed back. I believe it was related to spamming keys and flooding chat... but let me verify that when I get in.

Really? I have never had a game were players were spamming messages. (except for the closed beta goons going SQUAWK). Im surprised, that the devs did something against a non existand problem...

This is probably also why I could never get a working TAG toggle script through keyboard macros.

#14 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

You know, if this was to prevent spamming, then they coded this system backwards. If I am not mistaken, the current system allows you to hold down a key and the appropriate letter will be spammed in your box. This is spam. However, you cannot hold the backspace to delete an entire sentence. Instead, you must quickly spam the backspace bar to remove the sentence. Therefore, it should be fine if you switch the system and make it so you can only spam the backspace key, but you cannot spam any ordinary key.

#15 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

It's not very reassuring when a company that wants to make A VIDEO GAME fails at something that simple. Chat is not rocket science and it's not brain surgery. It's a text-input box, nothing more

#16 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 12 June 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

It's not very reassuring when a company that wants to make A VIDEO GAME fails at something that simple. Chat is not rocket science and it's not brain surgery. It's a text-input box, nothing more

#17 Uncleclint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

This Backspace-"bug" is an issue. It really is. Definitely. I can assure you.
Maybe, if we lived in a negative universe, this functionality as it is atm would be utterly great.
Unfortunately, we don´t.

Thx for passing it along again @Destined

#18 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

#19 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostSug, on 12 June 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Thanks for that post... this just made clear to me that the non-repeating backspace is actually a bug

View PostDestined, on 12 June 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Switching the backspace key back could recreate some of the issues we had before (Remember when the backspace key used to delete 2-3 letters at one tap? Argh.) or even create new issues, so it could seem deceptively simple to fix when it is not. I do see what you mean about being able to spam other keys though.

Like I said, I see what you're saying and I'm passing it along :)

I have a Keyboard macro for the weapon group 6 (TAG) set up as

Press down 6
End

Every time I die with the Macro activated my chat is immediately filled with
"66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666" and so on until I deactivate the macro manually.

As the macro is only set up to "press down" the key 6 and not release it, this should end up with a single short activation of the TAG laser and nothing after that. The non spamming function only seems to work for the Backspace key and is therefore probably actually an unintended bug.

P. S. Could we PLEASE get an on/off toggle for TAG lasers.... dying with "sssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssaaa" while chatting and trying to reverse to the left in chat is embarasing enough... but typing "66666666666666g6666666666666g666666666666666666666" instead of "gg" is just derp.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 13 June 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#20 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

Well, if it really is that hard to make a bug free spamming backspace, then it might be better to wait until test server is online. Once the test server is online, then you can mess around with it and decide whether or not it is feasible to fix the problems in it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users