#1 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Crit spaces and tonnage are at a premium here, just wondering what size XL engine goes best with this energy based mech as well as some build ideas.

Thanks.

#2 MeatForBrains

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01dcbd3ea3eccb3

No JJ, but it's like a mini ilya, and runs fast as hell.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...426173bbed58cf6

JJ, slightly slower, slightly hotter

Edited by MeatForBrains, 18 June 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

so far in my brief experience, XLs are not kind to this mech

I tried an xl300 with 4 MLAS and 2 PPCs, a little too fragile with such meagre side torso armor.

New build is a standard 300, no JJ, 4MLAS and 2 LLAS (I wish I had a few tons for a couple of JJ though!)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 18 June 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#4 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 June 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Are the side torsos really big targets in game?

I'm toying with this idea:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7ada3e3e9725050

Edited by Die Primate Die, 18 June 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#5 MeatForBrains

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 June 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Can't be worse than a CTF. But I have yet to try this config.

#6 Catnap

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Looks to me like the damage would get spread quite evenly between center and the side torsos. I think I'll rather avoid making the XL investment here, underwhelming as the gun choices are without.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

I had a 300xl on hand, and it didn't feel useful. Meat for Brain's 360xl sounds like a better build, but I don't want to drop the for such a big engine, although it looks like it much more speed for the same risk.

#8 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

I must massively disagree with red in the largest way possible. I've been running nothing but XL's since the servers went live and have yet to die from a side explosion. Most of the time, I would be missing 2 arms, a leg and cherry red CT before they ever manage to even get to past the armor on my side torso's.

I'm not the only one either, everyone else I've spoken/played with today on the marik teamspeak has experienced the exact same thing regardless of ELO.

Red must have run into some really bad luck.

Edited by MrPenguin, 18 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#9 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Two large lasers, four small lasers, and one SRM4 has been working really well for me. Four JJ, 300 standard engine. Bonus, you can keep the ferro it starts with and add endo (as opposed to wasting money removing ferro).

#10 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Sidetorsos in these QKDs are so tiny, that using XL-engine is as safe as using STD-engine.
So I went to that path.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4916829f78d4a97

Edited by VXJaeger, 18 June 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#11 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

The torso hitbox depends on the ELO you play in and your playstyle... I found brawling wise they went pop quite fast, but so did my legs half the time. Otherwise at more hit and fade tactics or keeping foes at the range of your weapons you won't have issues with an XL. For my 5K I put in a 350XL, 4 JJ with a SSRM and 6 ML. Has the speed, heat efficiency to just keep doing hit and run tactics against larger foe and is effective at blindsiding then evading.

#12 DESTROYER0009

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

SO there is nothing wrong with XL Engine?

#13 DeadlyFred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

XL Engines can potentially make you much easier to kill, though it can vary greatly depending on the mech (since they have differing hit boxes). It basically makes it so that destroying ANY of your torso sections will take you out of the game just like getting your CT destroyed. I try to stay away from them if I can but plenty of people use them.

#14 Horus XIII

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

How does this 5K build hold up?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4a4bae8e48ef114

#15 Menson

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern California, USA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostOld Witch of Khador, on 30 December 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

How does this 5K build hold up?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4a4bae8e48ef114

This looks good. I'd recommend upgrading to a XL350 by dropping the AMS. In my experience the QKD moves fast enough to get to cover before LRMs hit you.
Putting the LL in the arms gives you good reaction ability, but the arms are so low slung in this mech that you have to expose half the mech to shoot them over ridges at the early stages of the game. Personally I'd put the LL in the torso to put them higher mounted on the mech for long range hill-hugging while moving from cover to cover to bring the MLs into range. The 350XL prodives enough power to give you a fast torso twist in response to brawling (not that this is a brawling mech in the first place). I've moved a majority of the armor forward on the torso because once again with the speed of the mech you can twist around to catch those shots in the front instead of the rear armor.

QKD-5K 2LL 4MLs

Another reason I recommend the 350XL is getting that 4th HS into the engine when using this engine on other mechs. I first balked at the price of the 350XL, but after buying it I'm glad I have it.

Edited by Menson, 30 December 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#16 Horus XIII

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Thanks!

Just curious, since this Mech is said to not be an effective brawler, what exactly does it shine at, and any reason to consider it for my 1st owned ride, other than I like how it looks, lol?

#17 Israel Finklestein

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostOld Witch of Khador, on 30 December 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Thanks!

Just curious, since this Mech is said to not be an effective brawler, what exactly does it shine at, and any reason to consider it for my 1st owned ride, other than I like how it looks, lol?

Some people will tell you it's a subpar mech and is on par with Dragons, Awesomes, or even Locusts, but I will tell you that it's a very solid chassis. Its big problems are that

1. It is on the light side of the heavy class. Tonnage in this game usually translates to an advantage within weight class.
2. It is VERY tall for its tonnage (as tall or taller than Stalkers, Highlanders, and Battlemasters despite weighing only 60t)

But I like it because it can run very fast, it has very flattering hitboxes which make it very durable without being like, say, the stalker, which loses its weaponry all of the time. Very rarely do I lose anything more than an arm.

This is my build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c376d55150ddb1c
Averages 400-600 damage per game, it's tied with my Jenner for my favorite grinding mech. A lot of people will balk at the heat efficiency, but you don't usually use the PPCs and MLs at the same time.

My hints to making a good build:

1. You are capable of going over 100 tweaked, there is no such thing as a good Quickdraw that goes under 100 when elited. Speed is one of the key advantages the chassis has (do not run a standard engine in this mech). Speed is key both for your durability and damage, it means you can get in position to fire faster, and retreat from bad positions faster. This mech runs faster backwards than a stock engine 65 ton heavy runs forwards.
2. You need at least 40 leg armor. This mech has GIANT legs, under 40 and I guarantee you will be legged frequently. But the Quickdraw also has jumpjets which lets it take full advantage of heavy leg armor. Even with 45+, I still usually have no armor on one leg before I get cored.
3. I put PPCs on the torso instead of the arms because the first torso slot on this mech is very high on a mech chassis that is, as we have established, very tall. It makes poptarting very simple, you only need to peak your head and the upper torso over a ledge to lay down the equivalent of an AC20 shot at up to 600m.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users