Heavy Metal Loadout - Your Thoughts On This Build

6 replies to this topic

#1 Menin

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Well I am playing just for a week now, couldnt resist getting HM. I quite a newbie, so i dont rly know if I am doing right, but this loadout seem optimal to me for Heavy Metal

My current loadout is
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f67764a1af56e67

so

ULTRA AC/5
LRM 15
AMS
2xPPC
LRG PULSE LASER

59.4kph

1 jumpjet (seem enought to get into higher position or escape)

The only problem on this loadout is the armor and xl engine (but actually idk, 9/10 is usually the destruction of center torso, I dont really understand why so many people complain about XL on Heavy Metal.)

The Idea behind this build is, to have a good sniper and being able to brawl if needed - with AC/5 and LRG it seem to be possible.

Your thoughts?

#2 EliteOne

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I would drop the LPL, up the PPCs to ERs and add in an AC/5. This will allow you to use the ER PPCS as a long range weapon and a brawl weapon.

I downgraded your engine slightly to XL 325, added Endo and one DHS, and added a BAPS - put Advanced Sensor module on and it will make the LRMs more effective.

I re-did your armor, but that's personal preference.

The AC/5 & UAC/5 have 2t ammo each. You'll get 50-60 shots. Your LRM 15 has 12 uses before it runs out - so use wisely.

It runs hot but if that's an issue for you go back to normal PPCs or switch out AC/5s for a Gauss with 3t ammo. Personally, I always get cored in my HM before the Gauss explodes. That will also free up tonnage allowing for extra LRM ammo/Artemis equipped LRM 15...

I've linked it below, using the AC/5 UAC/5 it uses every crit slot and every ton for the HM.
HEAVY METAL

#3 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

An XL on HGN works well enough. I struggle with it on Victor even though that model leans towards XL load outs, and I won't put it on STK.

JJ are more important since movement/slope restrictions. Definitely adds benefit to your mobility and should be considered for most load outs.

I enjoy playing HM with this build -

The purpose is a mid range Assault near max armor with support (AMS/BAP), mobility (XL/JJ), and Light defense (SSRM) considerations. UAC/5 is a little slow compared to other choices for sniping but if you lead target or have boats standing it does well at range. (see clarification)

HEAVY METAL

XL330
544 of 558 Armor
Speed: 59.4kph (65.3kph)
Heatsinks: 14
Jump Jets: 3
AMS & BAP

Armaments
LARGE LASER: 1
LRG PULSE LASER: 2
ULTRA AC/5: 1
SSRM2: 2

Ammunition
AMS AMMO 1000
ULTRA AC/5 AMMO 100 (4 tons)
STREAK SRM AMMO 100

Recently started using UAC/5, which I now prefer. Mostly used AC/10 before.

I also like the 2LPL with 1LL fired as a group, or chained depending on heat. Under 400m range this really hurts. I like this combo and prefer it to PPC choices for heat/timing. Streaks are primarily for lights, but of course any close target welcomes the slight extra damage.

Place 4 tons UAC/5 ammo as you see fit. 100 rounds is 500 damage potential... seems ok for me on typical matches. Could drop a JJ for extra ton if you wanted to.

Clarify UAC5 speed/damage at longer (sniper) ranges:
5 damage per round at 1300, versus PPC 10 damage at 2k or AC/10 10 damage at 1300.

#4 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm convinced there is no super bad way to build a HM.

When it was first released I ran it stock for quite a while. And then as a Brawler for lulz with Artemis, and SRMs...

Two AC5s will be less frustrating than the 1uac5 and 1 ac5 (the UAC5s jam rate is WAY too high for it to be in a single gun set up)

Ok there is one super bad way

XL 360
2 SSRM2
3 SLs
2 AC2s

But who would be that silly?

http://mwomercs.com/...ange-dmg-chart/

Edited by Lugh, 12 July 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#5 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostLugh, on 12 July 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Two AC5s will be less frustrating than the 1uac5 and 1 ac5 (the UAC5s jam rate is WAY too high for it to be in a single gun set up)

You "can" run a UAC without jamming it, and the moments where it goes 3 or 4 hits in a row are quite satisfying to me. ;) I agree with you on using two AC/5 versus 1UAC and 1AC.

#6 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Chain-firing two AC/5s is such a satisfying experience.

Mmmm.....

#7 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

I used to run my HEAVY METAL with an AC 5 and an UAC5 in chain fire mode, but like many that possessed the HM back then, I would move my arms up into the air and "ROCK OUT" as the music played, so long as it was from mine or a teammates. I got bored with this, so I wanted to go further. I made my HM into this HEAVY ROCKER using the two Flamers like a lighter. Later I realized the combat effectiveness (plus how the two Flamers makes the left arm look like it has brass knuckles) when I would be overheating PPC boats. If you can get close enough to a mech boating enough high heat weapons with Flamers, there's a good chance they won't want to shoot at you, even more so when they make the new over heat for damage at 100%.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users